Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:28 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraman View Post
I spent the first 33 years of my life living on the East coast (mainly Pennsylvania). Then moved to San Jose, CA for 2 years before moving again to the Sacramento area. Lived there for 17 years, then semi retired 3 years ago and moved to the Sierra mountains (between Sacramento and Tahoe). Now we're about to move to the central coast of CA (Arroyo Grande). While there are a lot of things to not like about California, for us, the many good, no, scratch that - the many GREAT things far outweigh the negatives.

In 2007 we spent 5 months traveling the country in our motorhome playing tourist, as well as looking at many other towns in other states that were on our short list to relocate to. We have the luxury of being able to live wherever we want. After tons of research and actually visiting all these other towns in the country, we still chose California - the central coast in particular. Why? Incredible weather, diversity of people and culture, by far the most beautiful state in our great country, tons of great places to "play", health consciousness of the state in general (visit just about any state on the east coast and you'll quickly notice lots of cigarette smokers everywhere, fried foods dominate restaurants, and obesity is the norm).

You can't beat California for great places to hike, bike, camp, day trip, etc. I'm not suggesting California is utopia. Far from it. Every place has it's pros and cons. For example, Asheville, NC was at the top of our short list as an ideal place to live. After we spent time there, there is no way we'd consider living there. Our experience: very congested, inadequate and insane road system, housing is almost as expensive as the major metro areas of California, a lot of the folks we met (long timers) are still fighting the civil war and there is, unfortunately, a fair amount of blatant prejudicism. Generally, a bit too old world "southern" mentality for us. And, while it was a very beautiful area, (the Blue Ridge Parkway in particular), it still pales in comparison to the beauty of California.

We found some very beautiful areas in Wisconsin, and the people are incredibly genuine and have a solid value system. This was by far our most favorite place on the entire journey - mainly because the people are so awesome. Lake Michigan is like an ocean, with some spectacular beaches. But, weather is a deal killer! Brutal winters, and a very short summer. Not an option. After putting up with the nasty east coast winters for the first 33 years of my life (and too many car wrecks on black ice!), I have no desire to go back to that lifestyle!

We found other very nice locations around the country (Maine coast, New Hampshire, UP of Michigan), but none came close to pulling us away from California.

(BTW - while we did spend a lot of time in the "desert" states of Arizona and New Mexico, and visited some awesome places there - like Sante Fe, Taos, etc, we are as adverse to the extreme heat of desert climes as we are to the extreme cold/snow/ice of winter climes, so those states were ruled out from the get go).

In the end, we decided there was no place in the country that could come close to the beauty, weather and amenities of the central coast of California. Granted, housing isn't cheap, but the benefits, at least to us, are worth the cost. We rationalize the added cost of living here as a "sunshine tax". (Oops, I hope the politicians don't read this, they may decide to actually impose such a tax!). The weather and general environment encourage you to get out, enjoy nature and be physical - hike in the hills, long walks on the beach, bike rides in the wine country, kayaking along the coast, etc.

So, for these former "right coasters", the "left coast" is the only place to live - damn the cost! Paradise isn't cheap!
Thanks for the report. That was very helpful. If you COULND'T live in CA. and HAD to live somewhere else, where would that be. What is in 2nd place to CA.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
The weather.

And the fact that this state is like living in 10 different states and 5 foreign countries all at once. The geography is unique and varied. It's why the film industry started here.
FYI--Prior to 1911 the film industry was located in New York.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:51 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraman View Post
In the end, we decided there was no place in the country that could come close to the beauty, weather and amenities of the central coast of California. Granted, housing isn't cheap, but the benefits, at least to us, are worth the cost.

So, for these former "right coasters", the "left coast" is the only place to live - damn the cost! Paradise isn't cheap!
I couldn't agree more. We too are moving to the central coast. We've just decided that we're willing to pay for it. I've lived in the south, the east coast, Texas, the desert etc. ... but the beauty and the lifestyle of coastal California just doesn't compare to anywhere else.

While it isn't cheap, housing prices are falling. We're finding some foreclosure deals on new homes at half the price they were sold two years ago so ... we figured now is the time before prices start to go back up again.

We also have some better paying job opportunities up there (which is a good thing since we'll need the extra money ....)

We're just so happy there that to us, at least, it's worth the price.

Last edited by sheri257; 05-04-2008 at 07:01 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 22,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Thanks for the report. That was very helpful. If you COULND'T live in CA. and HAD to live somewhere else, where would that be. What is in 2nd place to CA.?
Runners-up would be: Oregon coast (there are some very nice towns along the Oregon coast. Some areas are considered a "banana belt" with decent weather, but still not as nice as central coast CA), and Washington State - mainly the Olympic Peninsula area. Despite the generally gray and wet environment, this is a truly beautiful area with lots to do. We've spent many vacations up there. But be prepared for rain when doing anything outdoors! OR - If you don't mind really harsh winters (or you can escape the area for the winter months) - Door County, Wisconsin (the peninsula that extends up into Lake Michigan) would be another top choice. The people here are the most genuine, down to earth, value oriented people we've met anywhere in the country. During the warm months this area is just beautiful with tons of great outdoor activities.

There are lots of things to consider in addition to climate, beauty and outdoor activities when selecting where you want to live. Things such as: access to quality health care (especially important as we age!), access to airports (assuming you like to or need to travel frequently), the cultural amenities (theatre, concerts, continuing education), and the culture of the people (i.e. do you like or can you live with the Southern culture if in places like Louisiana, Carolina's, Georgia; Texas, with it's own unique culture, and of course California, with IT's own unique culture, etc). What's important to us may not be important to you.

The best place to live is where you are happy and you feel like it's home. You should feel that you are supposed to be there. Nothing is worse than trying to force yourself to love a place just because it's cheap to live there or for some reason you're forced to live there (job, family comittments, etc). That is a recipe for unhappiness and depression.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:45 PM

24 posts, read 81,482 times
"Southern California is one big hideous piece of concrete."

Haha!!! It is! Anything south of carpenteria, is just terrible. The rest of CA, amazingly beautiful, if massively overpriced.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
FYI--Prior to 1911 the film industry was located in New York.
Which is almost like saying prior to 1946, the personal computer industry was located at University of Pennsylvania (the ENIAC computer below at the Army Ballistic Research Lab, photo not protected by copyright),

or

Prior to 1945, the space launch business was located in Germany (legendary Wernher Von Braun far right, in 1930s Germany, photo not protected by copyright)

Old 05-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Which is almost like saying prior to 1946, the personal computer industry was located at University of Pennsylvania (the ENIAC computer below at the Army Ballistic Research Lab, photo not protected by copyright),

or

Prior to 1945, the space launch business was located in Germany (legendary Wernher Von Braun far right, in 1930s Germany, photo not protected by copyright)

I don't get your point. The poster thinks the film industry STARTED on the west coast. Is there something wrong with being more historically accurate? I'm missing something...

Old 05-04-2008, 05:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
I don't get your point. The poster thinks the film industry STARTED on the west coast. Is there something wrong with being more historically accurate? I'm missing something...

Nothing wrong..yours was interesting information.

Relax, just having a little fun....I'd bet 99.99% of Americans never saw a movie picture made before 1911.

Last edited by Charles; 05-04-2008 at 05:08 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Nothing wrong..yours was interesting information.

Relax, just having a little fun....I'd bet 99.99% of Americans never saw a movie picture made before 1911.
I'm glad you're having fun. Wish I could join in. But as long as you're having fun that's all that matters.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadehbd View Post
"Southern California is one big hideous piece of concrete."

Haha!!! It is! Anything south of carpenteria, is just terrible. The rest of CA, amazingly beautiful, if massively overpriced.
Really? One big piece of concrete?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California