Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 10,652 times

Advertisements

I want to move to the US from the UK and understand that there is alot of red tape to chew through. I want to execute my plan within five years from now.

Here's the thing ... in peoples opinion (hoping for mass feedback), where would be good reside??? There seems to be mixed feelings about the north and south. Im prepared to visit both over a period of time to see for myself etc etc. The important factor is that i have two little ones which will be roughly 5/6 years old when we want to move. So the area Im looking for has to be kind of well groomed for children, have good schools and so on.

I work in IT and my wife is an optician so we would obviously like to secure good leads on how to locate viable jobs to maintain a happy state of being!!! Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Going back to the red tape policitcs. I know that it's even harder now emigrate these days ... especially to the US but my family and I are very determined to succeed.

Can anyone suggest a plausable route in entering??? There's so much intel out there from companies saying that they can help??? Right now Im eager but want to spend my time and money in the right way.

Do we opt for work visa's if we can secure a job that is ... which could be a
laborious task but hey. So much mixed feelings. We look forward to any suggestions.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 AM

790 posts, read 4,019,255 times
Default San Francisco!!!

I don't know anything about immigration but I would imagine that for many reasons, you would be, as a Londoner, much more comfortable and feel more at home in the San Francisco area. I absolutely do not understand the attraction to L.A. and/or southern California.
San Francisco is more cosmopolitan, sophisticated, intellectual, not to mention that it is an incredibly beautiful city. It's also wonderfully whacky, it's diverse, it's historically rich and intriguing, and it is within easy access to, what i consider, the best of California.
I would be interested to know, as a non-American, what the attraction is to L.A. / Southern California for you. To what extent is it based on the media, Hollywood, pop-culture, etc.? Just curious because I'm always confounded by the fact that people in this country want to flock to Southern California and that there is such an attraction to L.A. when, to me, it seems like an incredibly insane place that is strongly manifesting some of the very worst aspects of American culture. It's a fools paradise! I know that there are good people there, as there are everywhere, and that there are good and positive qualities there, as there are everywhere, but in general, it seems to me that has seen its better days.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 10,652 times
Hi thanks for your reply. Firstly I hear what you are saying with regard to what is all the big hype etc to do with L.A. Im not interested in the hype or glamour of a state, more of the well being and positive nature. This was a process and a half for me. I decided that I wanted to be pretty safe in terms of weather and natural disasters (storms, quakes etc), as my first choice would have been Florida.

After careful thought Irvine is a place which seems to attract my wife and I but so does Cisco. Damnnnnnnnn so much choice.

Another thing is ... I have three cars which I would consider bringing when I make the move ... the cost to ship them exceeds £3000 ... to buy a car in the states which is the same make and model etc costs $5690. Toying with the idea of buying or bringing my cars??? What's the best thing to do?

Lastly can anyone fill me in on what's it like in Irvine as well as Cisco.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2008, 04:44 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,527 times
You mean Cisco up by Tahoe? If so, many would consider that the middle of nowhere. Most likely you'd be offered a job in Sacramento and that's almost 2 hours away with traffic. Your wife would likely work much closer to home. Unless you're trying to "get away from it all" I think you're better off in Irvine.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
You being from London, I just HAVE to ask--are Randy or RANDY?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM

The boring one not the fun one.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:11 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
The boring one not the fun one.
Good luck Randy and I assume you meant Frisco and not Cisco, which is up around Truckee in the Sierra Nevada Mtns.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:20 AM

I glossed over the part where you said I was from London... I'm from Daly City right next to San Francisco. The original poster is from the UK.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Have you thought about Austin, Texas?

You may know that 1,000's of Californians have moved there as housing is sooooo much cheaper, and it's got a similar vibe to CA.

Loads of IT work too.

We picked Austin over CA and I am glad we did, I've met lots of ex-Californians who are really glad they moved here.

Have a read of the Austin threads on this forum....Austin - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

Last edited by southdown; 02-07-2008 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's a London Thang View Post
Hi thanks for your reply. Firstly I hear what you are saying with regard to what is all the big hype etc to do with L.A. Im not interested in the hype or glamour of a state, more of the well being and positive nature. This was a process and a half for me. I decided that I wanted to be pretty safe in terms of weather and natural disasters (storms, quakes etc), as my first choice would have been Florida.
Are you nuts ?
How about Florida's hurricanes.That's much more dangerously then quakes...
California is greatttttttt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California