Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 01:13 PM

213 posts, read 252,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
While I don't like having close neighbors, for those that don't mind, here is an example of a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, two story home for under $200,000 in my town. Seems reasonable to me. Acreage is also reasonable.

New Pending
This property is literally in the middle of nowhere. You're 30 miles from Fresno and 30 miles from Bakersfield. The only employment opportunities are the local Wal-Mart or Mickey D.

That $200,000 seem a bit high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 01:23 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Double shuuush!

Nothing to see here folks. Really. Just move along now. I hear Texas calling!
It's still more expensive than Waco....

Old 02-03-2016, 01:24 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
What I want to know... How do people afford to live in California?

I recently just had another CA job opportunity- Long Beach, CA, starting salary $75-85K. From what I can see on Zillow - a decent house in the area STARTS at $500K, and it would be better to pay $600K+ WTF!?!?

I just..... don't get it. There's no way I can make that move, even though it would be a "step up" in my career. I currently make $51K and my mortgage costs me $900 right now - 36% of my net income. If I blanked out my savings and begged for help from my and my wife's family, we could come up with the $130K for 20% down on a $600K house... but our mortgage would still be 2400 - about 52% of net take home off of an 80K salary. I would have to pray that my wife got a great job just to get back to the place we are right now.

The way I calculate it, even if they offered me the high side of their starting salary range, I would be taking at least a 12% pay CUT, possibly 15-18% depending on their offer, AND I would have to blank out my savings.

I previously had a similar opportunity in Fremont, CA, where the housing cost:wage ratio seemed even more out of whack. They were going to pay about $90K but decent houses were in the $750K+ range.

I've been to SF Bay area, LA/OC area and San Diego area a handful of times and liked it... but it didn't seem like the streets were paved with gold. I feel quite privileged with even being able to have these kinds of opportunities... makes me wonder how it is for people who make much less money. It must be terrible.
Live within your means. Find a 35 MPH town. Just saying.

Last edited by sourdough; 02-03-2016 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 01:38 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
See! That's what I'm talkin about. Waco's calling with your new low cost home. Forget California. Drove on over to Waco. You'll be glad you did. Priceless. Almost.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:39 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Live within your means. Just saying.
Oh come now. This is America.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:39 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
This property is literally in the middle of nowhere.
lol, You say that like it's a bad thing.

You're 30 miles from Fresno and 30 miles from Bakersfield.

Actually we're 75 miles from Fresno and 45 miles from Bakersfield. We're 30 miles from Visalia or Tulare.

The only employment opportunities are the local Wal-Mart or Mickey D.
Yeah, pretty much; however, I think agriculture is one of the major employers. Oh we do have a forensic prison...you know, for the criminally insane. That's a big employer; and then there's the cartel guys. They have a lot of employees (no benefits though).

That $200,000 seem a bit high.
Truly?Are properties a lot cheaper down in Hemet?

Old 02-03-2016, 01:42 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times
Quote:
While,yes, the weather is very hot in summer here in my little section of the central valley, the rest of the year is pretty nice. The land and home prices are much lower than the coast and the Sierras are in my backyard with views like this:

Lake Success looking toward Springville, Ca. This is 1/2 mile from my house. There are a lot of places in California that are affordable and pretty.
Beautiful! It would be perfect for someone who works at home. I agree with Mutt, you should be quiet about that gem.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Really? Here's a comparable house with one less bathroom in Waco. Doesn't look cheaper to me, and I mean, good gawd it's WACO, ugh.

Property taxes are $3400/year also compared to $1800 for the Porterville house. However, to be fair there's no state income tax in Texas so that makes up the difference.

You certainly live in a beautiful part of the country. I'm a little jealous.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Really? Here's a comparable house with one less bathroom in Waco. Doesn't look cheaper to me, and I mean, good gawd it's WACO, ugh.

Property taxes are $3400/year also compared to $1800 for the Porterville house. However, to be fair there's no state income tax in Texas so that makes up the difference.
Ever watch the show "Fixer Upper"? Whenever I watch that show, my jaw drops at how low the values of the homes are....AFTER they are remodeled (they're based in Waco). Anyway, just to further my point, Waco's median home value is $110K, and Tulare County's is ~ $172K. You *can* get a lot for your money in Waco.

Texans also have that everything's better in Texas thing going for them. I've never been to Porterville (but I have been to Tulare, Visalia, and far eastern Tulare County), but I would rather live in Porterville (even never having been) over anywhere in Texas.

Quote:
You certainly live in a beautiful part of the country. I'm a little jealous.
It's particularly spectacular today. We have a fresh foot of snow on the ground, we're under bright blue skies, and it's a nice crisp 27F. If I get a chance, I'll throw up a pic.

The one thing about Colorado....it has allowed me to finally afford to live in California. Even the desirable parts *maybe*!!!

But here I stay....while I build my empire.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:44 PM

I love Colorado. I bet it looks like a postcard back there........and I love the show "Fixer Upper." I do like the Big Bend area of Texas. We have to have our mountains don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California