Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 PM

964 posts, read 994,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Uhhhh, has anyone noticed that the OP hasn't responded since the first page of this post?
Yes. That's happened to at least 4 threads on this and the Bay Area forum this year. People make thoughtful suggestions, then someone comes on, tears apart some of the posts usually getting personal, the mods delete a bunch of posts, by which time the OP has fled. It's a strange way to participate in a relocation forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:11 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
NYEscapee if you're still there, I would definitely plan a trip first and do a tour of California, it's big so pick some areas beforehand and explore them instead of doing a drive-by tour of everywhere.

Your budget for rent should be raised a bit, but your budget to begin with is all hypothetical anyways, see what kind of jobs your line of work is willing to pay. Look at rental properties online as well to get a sense of the rental market of whatever area of interest. I feel like I'm just spouting out common sense here, I'll stop.

But as to which parts, not considering your projected budget, I'd follow bluesky's suggested and not suggested areas. I'll throw in Long Beach as well as a place to look into.

I'm currently living on the east coast, I get that question a lot, "why did you move out of California?" from folks who have never been there and their perception of California is mostly shaped by media, which of course you know is not all encompassing. With that, I do believe you do at the very least want a little bit of that perceived perception, why else would you move across the country? I don't believe it's entirely unrealistic either, if it's just that little bit.

Good luck!

And Bluesky, oof I feel for ya.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:52 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I don't like Sacramento.
Golly, we couldn't tell.

OP is complaining about east coast cities that are too crowded and over-priced.

It's not like the situation would be any different in Coastal California, just with better weather.

Sacramento at least gives her a shot of not living a lifestyle of serfdom that people such as your self choose in Santa Cruz.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:22 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
Yes. It's a strange way to participate in a relocation forum.
But fun! Keeps one out of the bars at night! Campaign against drunk driving!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:40 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,082,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
But fun! Keeps one out of the bars at night! Campaign against drunk driving!
Tulemutt, there's a thing called Uber on the smartphones that allow you to call someone to drive you to a bar and then back home. Try it some time

Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
Tulemutt, there's a thing called Uber on the smartphones that allow you to call someone to drive you to a bar and then back home. Try it some time
No need. I don't drink. And I love to walk!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
No need. I don't drink. And I love to walk!
How can you be a former enlisted sailor and not drink? This is heresy

Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
How can you be a former enlisted sailor and not drink? This is heresy
Never said I never drank in the past. Coulda floated a battleship in the beer I've pissed away.

(And btw, I was Navy Air. Never had a blackshoe call me a sailor!)

Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Never said I never drank in the past. Coulda floated a battleship in the beer I've pissed away.

(And btw, I was Navy Air. Never had a blackshoe call me a sailor!)
Heh. Black shoe and proud of it

Old 02-22-2016, 10:26 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
Yes. That's happened to at least 4 threads on this and the Bay Area forum this year. People make thoughtful suggestions, then someone comes on, tears apart some of the posts usually getting personal, the mods delete a bunch of posts, by which time the OP has fled. It's a strange way to participate in a relocation forum.
Despite the contentiousness, it's not a bad thread. There's a lot of info on it re; both the coast and Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California