Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 01:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Renting almost always allows the renter to live in a better home/location short term as opposed to owning.

Renting caps exposure to a fixed sum certain during the term.

Those under rent control in SF have even more advantages...

Cars... guess you could rent a car too or better a motor home, coach, 5th wheel, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There are many that will disagree and can back it up...

Bay Area rent control changes the fundamentals...
Not all of the Bay Area has rent control. Just wondered why you chose to buy in Oakland as opposed to the cities in the Bay Area that don't have rent control, including some Alameda County cities like Emeryville, Piedmont, Albany, San Leandro, etc. Piedmont's obviously more expensive than Oakland and Albany's more expensive than most of Oakland but is let's say Emeryville more expensive?

Old 05-11-2016, 04:08 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
let's say Emeryville more expensive?
Pretty much. There is not much difference in Emeryville rents vs North Oakland or Berkeley.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not all of the Bay Area has rent control. Just wondered why you chose to buy in Oakland as opposed to the cities in the Bay Area that don't have rent control, including some Alameda County cities like Emeryville, Piedmont, Albany, San Leandro, etc. Piedmont's obviously more expensive than Oakland and Albany's more expensive than most of Oakland but is let's say Emeryville more expensive?
When I bought there was NO rent control in Oakland...

I attended every meeting and hearing to way past midnight and spoke often at Council... in the end a measure was put into law with the comments this would be as far as it went... well, we all know that every person that implemented it would change over time and so they did.

I have not bought a single residential unit anywhere under rent control and doubt I ever will.

Commercial is where I invest now and little in California... mostly Pacific Northwest and Midwest..

Also, there is a strong move to make San Leandro and Albany rent control cities...

Old 05-11-2016, 07:58 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Tule mutt it's one thing to buy into the rhetoric of maintaining QOL and supporting those practices without knowing the unintended consequences but it's another matter entirely to know and acknowledge that it's NIMBYism underneath the surface and just tell others to adapt or move.
I, and MANY others, don't believe NIMBYism is fraught with evil "unintended consequences". NIMBYism is an entirely legitimate form of protest and opposition to over-development.

When Uncle Sam introduced me to California 50 years ago the population was half that of today. There wasn't hardly if any NIMBYism. The state was growing and for the most part people were happy with the progress. The joint was jumpin in the 70's and roaring in the 80's. And then some folks started saying: "Enough!" because the place was heading out of control to ruin what made it special to those who had invested their lives in this as their home.

NIMBYism isn't limited to either liberals or conservatives. It's a reaction by humans to having their homes and QOL absolutely transformed and threatened in ways they don't like. It is now a common dynamic in characterful places all across the country. You didn't have to consider much of this in Texas because so little of Texas is so distinctly unique as California. Texas has great expanses of nothing special lands to sprawl outward on. California's coast is a world treasure. It is not to be co-opted for short-term appeasement of developers and newcomers who have many other excellent choices for their journeys - only to be pressured further and further in waves of immigration.

And just who are you to arrive now new off the boat to decide for life-long residents what constitutes selfishness? Who are you to say that your vision of right and wrong and fairness supersedes mine? You want to develop more and more of the lands and shores I love? Follow the process that is in place. Don't like it? Fight it in court. Join forces with the developers and have a go at me and my fellow NIMBY's.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I, and MANY others, don't believe NIMBYism is fraught with evil "unintended consequences". NIMBYism is an entirely legitimate form of protest and opposition to over-development.

When Uncle Sam introduced me to California 50 years ago the population was half that of today. There wasn't hardly if any NIMBYism. The state was growing and for the most part people were happy with the progress. The joint was jumpin in the 70's and roaring in the 80's. And then some folks started saying: "Enough!" because the place was heading out of control to ruin what made it special to those who had invested their lives in this as their home.

NIMBYism isn't limited to either liberals or conservatives. It's a reaction by humans to having their homes and QOL absolutely transformed and threatened in ways they don't like. It is now a common dynamic in characterful places all across the country. You didn't have to consider much of this in Texas because so little of Texas is so distinctly unique as California. Texas has great expanses of nothing special lands to sprawl outward on. California's coast is a world treasure. It is not to be co-opted for short-term appeasement of developers and newcomers who have many other excellent choices for their journeys - only to be pressured further and further in waves of immigration.

And just who are you to arrive now new off the boat to decide for life-long residents what constitutes selfishness? Who are you to say that your vision of right and wrong and fairness supersedes mine? You want to develop more and more of the lands and shores I love? Follow the process that is in place. Don't like it? Fight it in court. Join forces with the developers and have a go at me and my fellow NIMBY's.
You're delusional and self contradictory. You just spent countless posts trying to convince me that you were neither for nor against but merely a casual observer and were acknowledging reality, now you're a vocal and crazed proponent of NIMBYism?? You're an odd creature.

And if this isn't more chest pumping and misplaced state pride on your part I don't know what is! The irony is in much of California the “green foothills” that you zealots wax poetic about are in fact brown half the year. The absence of rainfall during the California summer means that these hills are covered with ugly withered grass. In LA the major places where there is green grass during these dry months are places watered by people - which is to say, mostly places where there is housing.
CA is beautiful and is a national treasure but it doesn't need to be horded by a few select who want their property values to remain high. All that talk about preservation is about as real as your intellect.

So get over yourself and your incessant ramblings which are more contradictory than a debate with Trump. I have never seen such mental gymnastics by a person hell bent on defending NIMBYism. The paranoia you feel is misplaced and sometimes you border on illogical probably Peyote induced ramblings about anti-growth.

Go get on your boat and keep contemplating how to support more NIMBY policies but it won't just be me opposing them it will native born residents of this great state who are feeling the crunch too. Are you against them too? The younger residents who won't all be able to inherit homes too?

You're pathetic man.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:11 PM

285 posts, read 377,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Property managers that are not attentive to the wants and needs of their tenants don't stay around long.
They do in California ! LOL

Old 05-11-2016, 10:16 PM

285 posts, read 377,799 times
Greystar in Phoenix - couldn't believe looking at these 40 year old casitas on Hayden (a busy road !) in McCormick Ranch going for $1066 a month - Way above the market rate for a one bedroom in Scottsdale which is about $900, for private owners that don't use the Rent Maximizing Software -

Remember. There is a difference between the Market Rate, and the rent amounts that Yieldstar, RLO Rainmaker, and Yardi give you !

Renters beware, try to find numbers that end in 5's and 10's i.e. $700, $850, $900, $950, $1050. Stuff with other integers is from a computer program, i.e. $783, $941, $1001 (Classic!), and $1086.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/apa/5578060983.html

Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You're delusional and self contradictory. You just spent countless posts trying to convince me that you were neither for nor against but merely a casual observer and were acknowledging reality, now you're a vocal and crazed proponent of NIMBYism?? You're an odd creature.

And if this isn't more chest pumping and misplaced state pride on your part I don't know what is! The irony is in much of California the “green foothills” that you zealots wax poetic about are in fact brown half the year. The absence of rainfall during the California summer means that these hills are covered with ugly withered grass. In LA the major places where there is green grass during these dry months are places watered by people - which is to say, mostly places where there is housing.
CA is beautiful and is a national treasure but it doesn't need to be horded by a few select who want their property values to remain high. All that talk about preservation is about as real as your intellect.

So get over yourself and your incessant ramblings which are more contradictory than a debate with Trump. I have never seen such mental gymnastics by a person hell bent on defending NIMBYism. The paranoia you feel is misplaced and sometimes you border on illogical probably Peyote induced ramblings about anti-growth.

Go get on your boat and keep contemplating how to support more NIMBY policies but it won't just be me opposing them it will native born residents of this great state who are feeling the crunch too. Are you against them too? The younger residents who won't all be able to inherit homes too?

You're pathetic man.
There is no delusion, contradiction, ego, or paranoia on my part, radio. Nor am I trying to convince you of anything. I don't give much of a rat's tail what you believe or think of me or anything else. It's just idle chatter like people used to have in a tavern at the bar. You're the one getting all hot under the collar. I'm laughing at you. And daring you to step up if you want to beat your head against a wall of trying to control what is so much larger and more powerful than you. Radiolibre99 arrives in California to take on the forces of the economy!

There isn't any contradiction in me being an observer of reality and noting that NIMBYism is a valid function of protest and resistance. And there's no contradiction in being a supporter of things that actually function in the reality I observe.

For example, if I observe developers being successfully opposed by the citizenry with regard to developing vs protecting some open space, I observe that the reality is the public is not willing to turn over the remaining open spaces. Personally, I like that. I can both observe and support. If the majority of the public didn't exhibit an enthusiasm for opposition to development, I'd just be S.O.L. and accept it. And even if I was S.O.L. and accepted it, I wouldn't have to like it and could flip the developers the bird. But I wouldn't let it give me any ulcers. And I know when to not bother fighting realities greater than my preferences.

When I observe homes and apartments in existing neighborhoods skyrocketing in price due to demand, and wages at a proliferation of growing high-tech firms capable of paying employees enough to buy and rent at those prices - I don't like it, but it is what it is. It can't be stopped. I shrug it off. It is what it is.

You're the one doing mental contortions over realities that don't fit your narrative. Round and round in circles you go trying to command the unstoppable. You don't want to accept reality.

As for green grass and brown grass, I have no idea what that has to do with anything in the discussion. You can't find the changing colors beautiful and cycles of nature interesting? Is it important to you to have watered lawns where they're not even natural to the environment? I dunno what you are getting at. There's a lot of indigenous landscaping going on that is very pleasing to me. I don't need green grass.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
They do in California ! LOL
Somehow I manage to be the exception... residents going back to the 1980's speaks for itself and I'm in the SF Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California