Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 09:16 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times

Advertisements

I can't remember when i registered but apparently i checked the independent box. Or i could have stupidly checked the American Independent Party box not realizing that they are a right wing party. I heard today on NPR that there are quite a few Californian's who made that mistake.

Anyway, i received something in the mail a few weeks ago telling me that if i wanted to vote in the primary election i needed to fill out the form and choose a party so that i could vote. I'm in an area that won't have a physical place to vote (too few people i guess) so i have to mail in the ballot which they said would be sent to me last week. But i received a ballot the other day without the choice for the presidential primary option because it says i'm registered as an independent. I got the form in on time. I don't know what to do. I think Monday may be the last day i have to get this taken care of.

I think i have my facts (above) straight but it's possible that i'm confused.

Does anyone know the most efficient way (i have limited time on-line) to deal with this so that i can vote in the primary election?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 08:28 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Online Voter Registration | California Secretary of State

Old 05-22-2016, 09:31 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
I heard on the radio this morning that tomorrow, Monday, May 23rd, was the last day to register for the current election.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:11 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
The NPR coverage was an eye-opener for many. Now this:
Activist lawyers sue California on voter rules, possibly boosting Bernie Sanders support | The Sacramento Bee

Old 05-22-2016, 01:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Deadline for registration for the primary is Monday May 23, if you miss that you have to wait until the general election June 7th. Register online at Online Voter Registration | California Secretary of State or at the DMV or at Post Office.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:24 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I think I need a safe space.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:46 PM

270 posts, read 325,933 times
OP, our politics differ, but you deserve a straight answer to your valid question.

The materials you received in the mail suggest to me that you are probably registered as No Preference, a.k.a decline-to-state, a.k.a independent (as opposed to American Independent Party). At any rate, search for a voter registration verification website for your county, and you will be able to instantly verify your party online.

Currently, California's Democratic primary is "open", which means both registered Democrats AND No Preference voters can vote in it. If you are in fact No Preference, you do not even have to re-register. However, things like open primaries are subject to change in future, so if you want to be sure you can always vote in Democratic primaries, it's a good idea to join the party.

You have through (I believe, unless it is "until") Monday to change your registration if you want/need to do so. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
OP, our politics differ, but you deserve a straight answer to your valid question.

The materials you received in the mail suggest to me that you are probably registered as No Preference, a.k.a decline-to-state, a.k.a independent (as opposed to American Independent Party). At any rate, search for a voter registration verification website for your county, and you will be able to instantly verify your party online.

Currently, California's Democratic primary is "open", which means both registered Democrats AND No Preference voters can vote in it. If you are in fact No Preference, you do not even have to re-register. However, things like open primaries are subject to change in future, so if you want to be sure you can always vote in Democratic primaries, it's a good idea to join the party.

You have through (I believe, unless it is "until") Monday to change your registration if you want/need to do so. Best of luck to you!
Thank you! And thank you to the one or two other helpful posts.
I faxed the form in to the correct fax number by the deadline. If i'm remembering correctly, the mailing that i initially received stated that since i was a registered independent, i could make a change so that i could vote in the primary. That (faxing) was one of 3 options that were available (mail, fax or online [i think on-line was an option ... i lost the darn form]) to make the change if i wanted to vote in the primary election. And yet i received a ballot last week without the option to vote for the presidential nominee.
And yeah, the reason i posted on c-d-f is because the deadline is on Monday and since i don't have much on-line time each day and i am not good at researching this kind of thing on the web, it would be most efficient to ask here.
Thanks again. I'll go to the web-site that another poster recommended.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Deadline for registration for the primary is Monday May 23, if you miss that you have to wait until the general election June 7th. Register online at Online Voter Registration | California Secretary of State or at the DMV or at Post Office.
O.k. ... thanks .... i will do that. Post Office? Hmmmm. Interesting. I went into the post office the other day having some recollection that it was a place that is helpful / knowledgeable with voting issues. The nice older ladies that have been at my P.O. for years are now gone and there are a couple of young goobers in there. I asked them if they could help me with some questions about voting and they just looked at me blankly and said "no". Weird. I'll go to another post office.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I think I need a safe space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California