Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 12:17 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times

Advertisements

red states get the most water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 08:27 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
I am pretty sure that most in my community voted HRC or wrote in Bernie Sanders. The majority did for sure. I don't get it because these are people who are hard working but are barely getting by I think and yet- they vote Liberal. Do these folks understand high taxes and who likes raising taxes? I really wonder if they understand what the candidate stands for? California and New York have the highest taxes and these folks are paying for the people who refuse to work and are on public assistance. Illegal immigrants come here to California and you know they are getting some assistance. My husband and I are very charitable but we refuse to give up our money to people who come here knowing they do not have a job to come to from other countries. We believe in helping Americans first...There are so many people out of work - needing help.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
Orange County used to be very red but it's actually turned blue. If you want a conservative area, you might want to try the inland and desert areas. Most of the coastline, Central LA and the Valley tend to be very blue.

Even cities like San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara are more blue.
i am not sure you are right about that: you can't blue versus red on one election. Yes, Orange County is changing but it is still in the Red zone I believe. As for blue versus red when it comes to the coast, how about San Diego?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:37 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Bakersfield is really the only populated part of the Central Valley that is conservative.

Fresno, Modesto, Stockton, Sacramento areas are pretty democrat now, due to demograpgic changes. When these areas were white they were very conservative.
Bakersfield is probably the only populated part of the state that is still conservative. The entire coast is now a blue wall, including Orange County. San Diego has been blue since 2008. The only way Republicans will ever stand a chance in California again is if they can somehow flip the Latino vote, which given the current GOP platform is pretty much a lost cause.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:13 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinc1019 View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of conservative rural areas, but what about cities? I've always heard Orange County is somewhat conservative. Is that true? I've spent almost no time in California and know almost nothing about it!
-J
California neighborhood election results: Did your precinct vote to elect Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump? - Los Angeles Times

Old 12-03-2016, 07:24 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times
I would like to ask was the "Trump effect" the final drop of water that pushed the last of the red in the state of CA towards the blue as some republican supporters turned to Hillary to keep Trump out of office or simply stopped voting all together. I heard that some Republican local candidates i.e city council members in San Diego dropped out of the race as a result leaving Democrats to run the show more. Though I guess the Republican party had been faltering due to the negative reputation during the Bush Administration years and voters in CA including those who usually support republican wanted to avoid voting for John McCain to prevent more of the bad policies from continuing. I would be curious it see would the outcome be different if Ted Cruz instead of Donald Trump was the Republican candidate?

Old 12-03-2016, 08:12 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If we ignore the Presidential race and look at the House races we see something vastly different and even in some areas where Dems won, it was close.

2016 Election Results: House Live Map by State, Real-Time Voting Updates - POLITICO

More "representative" of how people feel than the Presidential race.

This is CA alone for the House and is interesting.

California Election Results 2016: House Live Map by District, Real-Time Voting Updates - POLITICO
2016 National Popular Vote Tracker

Old 12-04-2016, 07:54 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I am pretty sure that most in my community voted HRC or wrote in Bernie Sanders. The majority did for sure. I don't get it because these are people who are hard working but are barely getting by I think and yet- they vote Liberal. Do these folks understand high taxes and who likes raising taxes? I really wonder if they understand what the candidate stands for? California and New York have the highest taxes and these folks are paying for the people who refuse to work and are on public assistance. Illegal immigrants come here to California and you know they are getting some assistance. My husband and I are very charitable but we refuse to give up our money to people who come here knowing they do not have a job to come to from other countries. We believe in helping Americans first...There are so many people out of work - needing help.

Looks like you (and others) might have voted for a billionaire who has appointed other billionaires to run things and someone who you think give a tinkers damn about you and/or your situation.

BTW don't bother to look at the unemployment rate, because your claim of so many people out of work doesn't fly.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:05 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
The problem with the unemployment rate is it includes those stuck working less then a 40 hr work week and does not include those who have given up and dropped out of the labor mkt

Old 12-04-2016, 03:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
?????????????????? It is the electoral college that makes the decision, not the popular vote. Trump won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California