Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:03 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Actually the state of North Dakota is #1 in the whole world when adjustments are made.
Nope, actually Vatican city is #1 when "adjustments are made".

But if you make enough "adjustments" there's probably a good chance that I am the most beautiful woman in the world. Adjustments are wonderful things aren't they?

PS AEI is a right wing website And there are reasons why many economists question it's validity.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 01-14-2017 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nope, actually Vatican city is #1 when "adjustments are made".

But if you make enough "adjustments" there's probably a good chance that I am the most beautiful woman in the world. Adjustments are wonderful things aren't they?

PS AEI is a right wing website And there are reasons why many economists question it's validity.
Left wing economists probably do. OK, what about the evidence/facts? What is wrong there?

Old 01-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Left wing economists probably do. OK, what about the evidence/facts? What is wrong there?
evidence and facts of what, I posted a source to an unbiased source that points out the fault of PPP, I think I did my job maybe if you want to defend the claim that was made, that North Dakota (when adjustments are made) is #1 in the world please feel free to do so.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
evidence and facts of what, I posted a source to an unbiased source that points out the fault of PPP, I think I did my job maybe if you want to defend the claim that was made, that North Dakota (when adjustments are made) is #1 in the world please feel free to do so.
First being a "right wing" site does not make it wrong. The link you provided does disagree as to method, but that is not uncommon. I am not about to take the time to see if it is a "Left wing" site nor to dig into such disagreements. The basic premise is correct or close to being so.

What about the list of States and Countries, do YOU know and can prove, is wrong or at least not reasonably accurate?

Old 01-14-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
First being a "right wing" site does not make it wrong. The link you provided does disagree as to method, but that is not uncommon. I am not about to take the time to see if it is a "Left wing" site nor to dig into such disagreements. The basic premise is correct or close to being so.
What about the list of States and Countries, do YOU know and can prove, is wrong or at least not reasonably accurate?
huh? accurate in what respect? This is just a waste of time. North Dakota isn't #1 in anything, I thought maybe it was the coldest state in the US, but Alaska won out, dang it!

Old 01-14-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
huh? accurate in what respect? This is just a waste of time. North Dakota isn't #1 in anything, I thought maybe it was the coldest state in the US, but Alaska won out, dang it!
I did not say it was.

My point was that in general the information is reasonably consistent with other such studies. CA does NOT have the best economy, especially for most of its residents. It is great for many but that does not mean it is great for everyone or even most. Great weather is it's best feature.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:40 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
So someone EARNING minimum wage has to hire a person AT MINIMUM wage to care for their child while they work?
It used to be if someone was working, they could find a relative or a neighbor to take care of their kids. I used to babysit full time for my next door neighbor when she was working full time, and no, I didn't get close to what she was paid or anything close to minimum wage. But then, I didn't have a child care license, either.

I also had a friend back in the 70s who had two kids of her own and offered to take care of three of her neighbor's kids and earn a little extra money while being able to be a SAHM herself.

Today, you can't do that. If you take care of anyone else's kids, you have to have a license and have your home inspected and so on and so on. You have to be paid so much per hour and have your taxes taken out, which means the people paying you have to give you a W2 form.

Technically, I suppose someone could work under the table taking care of someone else's kids. In one way, that would be beneficial because the person taking care of the kids gets a little extra money on the side and the person whose kids are being taken care of pays less for day care. But you have to balance that against the fact that your kids are not in a licensed day care center and the people taking care of them aren't certified. Sure, you save money, but are your kids more likely to get injured in an unlicensed day care center? And who is liable if they do get hurt?

It doesn't help that people have been and are moving to where the jobs are and that means leaving behind their parents and relatives who could be helping them out with babysitting and other things.

Women have really only been working full time for about 40 years at this point, and I personally think the situation is still fluid and still evolving. And I really don't know in which direction it's going to go. It may be in the future our government will offer free childcare for working moms or the businesses themselves will offer free childcare for their employees. Until then, as ridiculous as it sounds, the short answer to your question is: yes.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:58 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
One simple way to prove that the state is anti small business is the passage of SB270. The passage of such law as well as many tougher municipal ordinances passed before the law which are grandfathered in clearly shows how the state of CA and its municipalities makes things very hard for small businesses or retailers. Big corporate giants such as Safeway would profit from a 10c minimum fee as they can buy paper or thicker bags at a bulk price usually about half that amount as they buy millions of bags at a time and have awesome deals with wholesale manufactures. However individual mom and pop shops would still be losing money after the 10c charge as they would pay 13c or higher for each bag that complies with the state law or the municipal ordinances. And now they would also have to buy more handless plastic bags for customers to keep their purchases from leaking.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:39 PM

787 posts, read 644,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
It used to be if someone was working, they could find a relative or a neighbor to take care of their kids.
This is Capitalifornia. relatives and neighbors are working overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California