Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times

Advertisements

Very good op ed written by a small business owner in San Fernando CA
That is moving his business to Las Vegas .

The pro $15 crowd only seems to listen to pro $15 protestors , unions and politicians . Never to actual business owners that explain how big of an issue this will be to their business .

--

"When the $15 minimum wage is fully phased in, my company would be losing in excess of $200,000 a year (and far more if my workforce grows as anticipated)."

"Still, if not for the $15 minimum wage, I’d have zero interest in leaving California. In some ways, it’s an ideal time to make clothing here. There's a huge demand for American-made apparel, and the industry infrastructure that exists in Los Angeles — from garment makers to sewing machine repairmen — is difficult to find elsewhere. But businesses can’t operate at a loss. "

"We need more stable, blue-collar jobs in places like the San Fernando Valley — the kind I thought I was helping create. California, however, has put up a giant “Go Away” sign. "

Leaving for Las Vegas: California's minimum wage law leaves businesses no choice - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 11:21 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"Still, if not for.....I’d have zero interest in leaving California.
California has business by the short hairs.

For all the taxes, regulatory hurdles, and overall onerous hassles of doing business here, it's still a state with over 30 million people of every imaginable taste, gender, ethnicity, and economic status.

That's just too big and too irresistible of a market to simply up and abandon. The retail companies know it. The trucking companies know it. Hell everyone knows it. This is where the action is. That's why very few ever leave. The few that do, two or three more swoop in to take their place. Don't think that the State isn't keenly aware of all this, which means that they can be as difficult and 'business hostile' as they want-even if for the sheer sadistic pleasure of it. They know there will ALWAYS be someone who will jump through the hoops and 'play the games'.

We are not in the top ten of world economies in size and value for no reason.

Want access to this market? Gotta pony up.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:31 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:

The pro $15 crowd only seems to listen to pro $15 protestors , unions and politicians . Never to actual business owners that explain how big of an issue this will be to their business .

--

"When the $15 minimum wage is fully phased in, my company would be losing in excess of $200,000 a year (and far more if my workforce grows as anticipated)."

"Still, if not for the $15 minimum wage, I’d have zero interest in leaving California. In some ways, it’s an ideal time to make clothing here. There's a huge demand for American-made apparel, and the industry infrastructure that exists in Los Angeles — from garment makers to sewing machine repairmen — is difficult to find elsewhere. But businesses can’t operate at a loss. "

"We need more stable, blue-collar jobs in places like the San Fernando Valley — the kind I thought I was helping create. California, however, has put up a giant “Go Away” sign. "

Leaving for Las Vegas: California's minimum wage law leaves businesses no choice - LA Times
We are all going to die. California will fall into the ocean. Not a trace left. Except scattered broken bits and pieces of small business signs washing ashore in coastal Nevada. This is a very serious situation. Only CD Forum can solve the problems and save the day.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
California has business by the short hairs.

For all the taxes, regulatory hurdles, and overall onerous hassles of doing business here, it's still a state with over 30 million people of every imaginable taste, gender, ethnicity, and economic status.

That's just too big and too irresistible of a market to simply up and abandon. The retail companies know it. The trucking companies know it. Hell everyone knows it. This is where the action is. That's why very few ever leave. The few that do, two or three more swoop in to take their place. Don't think that the State isn't keenly aware of all this, which means that they can be as difficult and 'business hostile' as they want-even if for the sheer sadistic pleasure of it. They know there will ALWAYS be someone who will jump through the hoops and 'play the games'.

We are not in the top ten of world economies in size and value for no reason.

Want access to this market? Gotta pony up.
Uh oh, somebody figgered it out and posted the truth. What a strange reality to find on an internet forum!

Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
Quote:

--

Nordstrom Men's Shop Regular Fit Sport Shirt | Nordstrom

You can't turn a profit paying someone $15.00 an hour to make a $70.00 shirt? You should be out of business.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post

You can't turn a profit paying someone $15.00 an hour to make a $70.00 shirt? You should be out of business.
Problem is labor cost is just one of the many many expenses that a business owner must pay .
As the op ed article I posted mentions this puts CA businesses at more of a competitive disadvantage.

Also as the article mentions it's not really just $15 hour it's more like $18 hr because of workers comp and payroll taxes .

Just like anything though most people won't notice the problem until it's too late . I'm not saying all businesses will leave CA . But I agree with the writer of the article that this law will mean less blue collar jobs .

Some might say well that's great! We should have more high paying tech jobs . Problem is these minimum wage workers generally don't have the skills required for these tech jobs and many don't want to go to college to learn though skills .
Not everyone wants to be a programmer or engineer .

you can make the minimum wage $15 or $20 hr or whatever but you can't force business owners to stay in CA.

the point is this $15 law is giving this guy no choice either operate at a loss or move and stay in business .

Old 01-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Somebody has OCD.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:51 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
Quote:
Problem is labor cost is just one of the many many expenses that a business owner must pay .
As the op ed article I posted mentions this puts CA businesses at more of a competitive disadvantage.

Also as the article mentions it's not really just $15 hour it's more like $18 hr because of workers comp and payroll taxes .

Just like anything though most people won't notice the problem until it's too late . I'm not saying all businesses will leave CA . But I agree with the writer of the article that this law will mean less blue collar jobs .

Some might say well that's great! We should have more high paying tech jobs . Problem is these minimum wage workers generally don't have the skills required for these tech jobs and many don't want to go to college to learn though skills .

you can make the minimum wage $15 or $20 hr or whatever but you can't force business owners to stay in CA.

the point is this $15 law is giving this guy no choice either operate at a loss or move and stay in business .
Yeah, well if I want my clothing made by minimum wage people, or just the lowest wage, I guess I'll buy Chinese. Being in Vegas isn't going to help you. I wonder what percent of the sales price is actually going towards labor vs say advertising.

Maybe the question should be should minimum wage be a living wage. I don't think burger flipping should be a career. Those positions should be part time positions for young hot looking kids working for gas and beer money. I don't want some middle aged mother of 6 asking me if I want to supersize my order. It is an entry lever job. If you have no more ambition that to stay there then I should not be forced to buy you a house/car/smart phone/child care. Geez. You could at least aspire to be a reality show, rap, or youtube star. How hard is that? Maybe look into professional sports.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:14 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Quote:

California is already in the death spiral. Private sector growth in jobs (non-farm) was barely above 0% last year. With this new $15 minimum, it's going to go negative fairly soon and we'll be right back at 2008.

Source: BLS

Old 01-09-2017, 01:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post

Right now look at the label. Likely made in Thailand, as an example, for a worker paid $0.15 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California