Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a secession?
Absolutely. 88 40.37%
I would vote against it, but would stay in California regardless of the outcome. 46 21.10%
I would vote against it, and leave if California seceded. 84 38.53%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:21 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
It absolutely would be tougher on immigration. Your protest to that shows you have no understanding of sanctuary city policies which do not exist to encourage open borders at all.
OMG, this is totally delusional.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:18 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
OMG, this is totally delusional.
Lol. This from the forum's preeminent conspiracy theorist! Wonderful!

So, tyger - and Shooter - name a country anywhere in the world that has open borders. No immigration restrictions. Welcomes anyone. Even super liberal countries. I'll wait.

When nations have autonomy, they exercise it. The U.S. is perhaps the world's most lax and welcoming with regard to immigration. California is the rest of the world's dream migration. It couldn't handle a day without controls. And, liberal as you think California is, it's not as much so as you infer would cause disaster. Neither would the new leadership be a bunch of dopes.

By the way, Shooter, I am very much enjoying the irony of your objections to the notion of an independent California nation, given you are a full-blooded Libertarian / states' rights advocate.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I don't need to because it won't happen. I doubt you could even get 1/2 of Californians to vote one to leave.
Shooter, the national rate for citizens who favor secession for their respective states is 22%. In California it jumped to 32% (Reuters poll in January) in the past year, and climbing.

Hilariously, here's what Herman Cain's (remember him?) blog website reports supportively:

Quote:
Oh please, please, please...
The dream is alive! According to a new Reuters/Ipsos poll, there are now more Californians than ever who support the idea of seceding from the United States. Dubbed the "Calexit" movement, the goal is to make California its own country, thus bestowing upon the world a happy, prosperous, California-free, America where it will be virtually impossible to elect a Democrat President.
Oh wait, sorry, that's our goal, not theirs.
https://www.hermancain.com/new-poll-...ssion-movement
So, for all you doubters that say it's impossible that the rest of the United States would approve California's exit, take note. You know all those folks who voted for the Moron in Chief who now occupies the Oval Office? Pretty much every one of them would love to see California out of the union. For starters.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:00 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

So, tyger - and Shooter - name a country anywhere in the world that has open borders. No immigration restrictions. Welcomes anyone. Even super liberal countries. I'll wait.

When nations have autonomy, they exercise it. The U.S. is perhaps the world's most lax and welcoming with regard to immigration. California is the rest of the world's dream migration. It couldn't handle a day without controls. And, liberal as you think California is, it's not as much so as you infer would cause disaster. Neither would the new leadership be a bunch of dopes.

By the way, Shooter, I am very much enjoying the irony of your objections to the notion of an independent California nation, given you are a full-blooded Libertarian / states' rights advocate.
FInd where I said I do t support California leaving. I havnt given my personal opinion on the scenario. I have described how it will never happen and be bad for both current California and for the USA.

Being for liberty and personal freedom, handing over the reins to California democrats without any sort of check isn't a good idea. Parenting that the leading democrats will all of the sudden become fiscally responsible and control immigration is laughable.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Shooter, the national rate for citizens who favor secession for their respective states is 22%. In California it jumped to 32% (Reuters poll in January) in the past year, and climbing.

Hilariously, here's what Herman Cain's (remember him?) blog website reports supportively:

So, for all you doubters that say it's impossible that the rest of the United States would approve California's exit, take note. You know all those folks who voted for the Moron in Chief who now occupies the Oval Office? Pretty much every one of them would love to see California out of the union. For starters.
Think of it this way. If California left the union the federal government would become even more conservative. Republicans would dominate the house, senate and presidency for the foreseeable future. The same republicans would then be in charge of establishing trade partnerships with California. Do you think US first trade policy that has become dominate in this administration would all of the sudden give California an equitable trade agreement? All this state has to offer to the federal government would be the port of LA, that is the only leverage this state has. Over time that leverage would dwindle as the port in Washington state expands. Everything else is easily replaced with either developing markets in other states (tech and agriculture) or trade with other nations (agriculture).

California leaving the union weakens the union. Why would 2/3 of states vote to weaken the union?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:11 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:

The cognitive dissonance is strong with those two.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:15 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Think of it this way. If California left the union the federal government would become even more conservative. Republicans would dominate the house, senate and presidency for the foreseeable future. The same republicans would then be in charge of establishing trade partnerships with California. Do you think US first trade policy that has become dominate in this administration would all of the sudden give California an equitable trade agreement? All this state has to offer to the federal government would be the port of LA, that is the only leverage this state has. Over time that leverage would dwindle as the port in Washington state expands. Everything else is easily replaced with either developing markets in other states (tech and agriculture) or trade with other nations (agriculture).

California leaving the union weakens the union. Why would 2/3 of states vote to weaken the union?
13% of the US GDP. You keep leaving that out. Now take that into consideration then ask about the trade agreement again.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
13% of the US GDP. You keep leaving that out. Now take that into consideration then ask about the trade agreement again.
Or would California want access to the 87% of GDP they are leaving?

Not to mention how California would be dependent on US for both energy and water to a lesser extent.

California has no leverage. Especially with its history of poor tax structure for business, over regulation and an unwillingness to utilize natural resourcee and desire to increase the welfare state. It is a recipe for disaster.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
FInd where I said I do t support California leaving. I havnt given my personal opinion on the scenario. I have described how it will never happen and be bad for both current California and for the USA.
Your opposition has been unmistakably tacit ... and you just affirmed it (bold above).
Quote:
Being for liberty and personal freedom, handing over the reins to California democrats without any sort of check isn't a good idea. Parenting that the leading democrats will all of the sudden become fiscally responsible and control immigration is laughable.
So, you are for liberty as long as it's not liberal liberty. Roflmfao.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Does the U.S. have favorable trade relationships with Japan and Germany? And France and Great Britain? And ... Why wouldn't it have favorable trade relationships with California? That's what Stanley and Gentoo have been pointing out for 60 or so pages here. This assumption of adversarial relationships is completely unfounded.

All California has to offer is the port of L.A.? Nuts. Literally and figuratively. We have almonds. Everyone knows the nation is addicted to almonds and we grow almost the whole world's supply. Case closed. End of story. ... But, seriously, you do not understand the difference between a single market size of 40 million (CA) compared to 7 million (WA)? Okay, add Oregon to Washington as area served by the Ports of Seattle and Tacoma. Now you are up to a market 1/4 the size of California. But wait, there's more! as they say on late night tee-vee informercials. There's Idaho and Montana! Maybe even Wyoming!

Com'on Shooter. Get real.

Why would 2/3rds of the states vote to oust California? Ask Trump supporters. Ask Herman Cain. They hate us out there, bub. "They'd" love to get rid of blue California to advance the chances of conservative federal control. For starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California