Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

No, that's silly. You buy the 300K motor home and a tow rig to haul your CJ5 or whatever other commuter car you use for errands and touring.

When you own a 30'-36' motor home you park it after unhitching your towed vehicle, stow the tow unit, and drive your smaller car around your destination or locale.

To be honest I did not like my Ford F250 and 32' 5th wheel trailer because the Interstates are maintained so badly that even at the speed limit (55) I sometimes saw trouble ahead and no time to slow down enough that I felt comfortable going over the hump or hole. Our Interstate highways are in sad condition. And I never felt comfortable "docking" my trailer except for drive thru and the times a trailer park employee helped me. And getting gas? (Hell.) Most gas stations are not designed to fuel a truck and trailer that might be 50+ feet in length. Think about that the next few times you fuel up your compact.

If I ever return to camping I'm getting the smallest trailer that still has a slide room. Pull it with my SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 08:29 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
No, that's silly. You buy the 300K motor home and a tow rig to haul your CJ5 or whatever other commuter car you use for errands and touring.

When you own a 30'-36' motor home you park it after unhitching your towed vehicle, stow the tow unit, and drive your smaller car around your destination or locale.

To be honest I did not like my Ford F250 and 32' 5th wheel trailer because the Interstates are maintained so badly that even at the speed limit (55) I sometimes saw trouble ahead and no time to slow down enough that I felt comfortable going over the hump or hole. Our Interstate highways are in sad condition. And I never felt comfortable "docking" my trailer except for drive thru and the times a trailer park employee helped me. And getting gas? (Hell.) Most gas stations are not designed to fuel a truck and trailer that might be 50+ feet in length. Think about that the next few times you fuel up your compact.

If I ever return to camping I'm getting the smallest trailer that still has a slide room. Pull it with my SUV.
What about a smallish popup? I've thought about something light we can pull with standard vehicles like our minivan. But I don't want to have a buy a 'special' vehicle like a big truck just to pull the darn thing.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I looked up the price for the OP's vehicle. Didn't know those things cost around 100K. That's more than the properties I bought in 2011 here in Sacramento.
I was wondering about that: It isn't my business but I am curious. It seems someone in their 20s would want a different type of vehicle and would find a better use for that kind of money. I can understanding the wanting to live in CA part, but the rest of the story isn't making much sense to me.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:31 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was wondering about that: It isn't my business but I am curious. It seems someone in their 20s would want a different type of vehicle and would find a better use for that kind of money. I can understanding the wanting to live in CA part, but the rest of the story isn't making much sense to me.
Yeah, you dont buy a 100k rv with a "small" trust fund. Op seems very entitled and has no problem moving to a new town and breaking its laws. I have compassion for people who lose everything and have no options but live in their vehicle. This is not a case like that. Also in many parts of ca there have been epidemics of meth cookers using rvs to move around making and selling. Not that all "fulltimers" are like that but enough of them are that many people are wary when they see a motorhome pull up in front of their house. At least this lady has "mercedes privilege" on her side so that will buy her some time. Nobody cares if she parked in a walmart, an rv park, or an abandoned industrial area (as mentioned, the local tweakers in those areas will gladly welcome her mercedes with its satellite and solar panels). But start parking in sac residential areas illegally? Believe me, people will care.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
OP, I know you say you want to live in CA cause it is progressive, lots of culture and both beaches and mountains plus nice weather. Well, some of it you are right on, but culture, I am not sure there is anywhere near the culture in the Sacramento area as on the east coast where you live, plus you also have access to wonderful mountains, decent weather except for humidity and the ocean. Plus you have a much lower col

Old 01-27-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
What about a smallish popup? I've thought about something light we can pull with standard vehicles like our minivan. But I don't want to have a buy a 'special' vehicle like a big truck just to pull the darn thing.
Pop-up trailers do not have bathrooms or showers. They aren't much more than tents on wheels except they commonly have a stove and refrigerator.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Yeah, you dont buy a 100k rv with a "small" trust fund. Op seems very entitled and has no problem moving to a new town and breaking its laws.
I never thought of this and not sure I remember the back story correctly, but a much better expenditure of the $100K would have been to use it to fund an inexpensive (studio) apartment while searching for employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California