Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
LOL

It was tongue in cheek, and I would rather not chameleon myself, but a part of me wonders if I came in with overalls and hay in my mouth if I would be treated better (note, I did not say "differently" )
I was hoping that was the case.

Now having lived in 3 Southern States, if you dressed and talked like that, they would fall over laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 01:08 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I've been on an active search the last ~ 15-20 years or so to deduce what makes people/areas friendly.

Aside from demographic things I can make inferences on (and there are many)....

I was recently in a very small town (sub 500 pop.) for lunch. Rural area. A two hour drive from a big city, with literally nothing but farms/plains in between. At least half of the time when I'm in places like that, I perceive a giant stick stuck up the people's butts, it makes me feel like I'm "to be dealt with", like I'm not welcome...I perceive virtually no air of friendliness whatsoever.

My wife (who is small-town herself) never notices it, so I don't even bother bringing it up to her anymore (the particular area I most experience this in is the CO/NE/KS flat/dry area, but I've had it in other rural parts of the country as well, but definitely not all...not even most I would say). So it is probably just me. I half want to chat them up in a redneck accent about how my tractor broke this morning just to test it. But I don't.

I've experienced it in CA too, but not nearly as often. The only place I can think of off the top of my head was Mammoth Lakes (which I know doesn't make sense).
Yep, interesting.

I wonder if people in smaller towns are more reserved because it's a small town. In other words, if they're friendly with you, then you might assume they're your best friend and it could get awkward because you'd run into them all the time - whereas in a big city, the odds of running into that random stranger again are close to nil.

I was thinking about when I just moved away from Crescent City - town of 5,000 people. I kept to myself for the most part in the senior apartment building I lived in. But, when I started packing my truck - (which I did over a couple weeks, packing it when there were breaks in the weather and then just re-covering it with tarps in-between) - neighbors who had never even gotten eye contact with me before, came out of the woodwork and were super friendly asking about where I was moving, telling me I had been a good neighbor, etc. It got to the point that I was dreading another neighbor stopping me. It was really weird.

But, it occurred to me that since I was moving away, it was then "safe" for them to be outwardly friendly to me.

Just a thought. It was weird, though, lol.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:35 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
One of my favorite PNW paranoia experiences...I was opening the dairy case at Walgreens & a guy who looked to be 75 approached. I said to him, "Well, looks like they're out of nonfat milk". His eyes widened, he quickly turned around, & bolted in the other direction...dude, I don't want to date you, I just want some milk! You cannot make this stuff up!

Old 06-10-2017, 08:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciamarshamarcia View Post
one of my favorite pnw paranoia experiences...i was opening the dairy case at walgreens & a guy who looked to be 75 approached. I said to him, "well, looks like they're out of nonfat milk". His eyes widened, he quickly turned around, & bolted in the other direction...dude, i don't want to date you, i just want some milk! You cannot make this stuff up!
lolololol!!!

Old 07-10-2017, 11:38 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia
I was born & raised, & spent most of my life in Southern California & never had a problem making friends...same with spouse. We have had exactly the opposite situation since moving to the PNW.

However, you should probably try to win the Lotto before you move to California now.

Finally, I am SO SICK of California-bashing, especially on CD. God, it's tiresome. It's become a cliche'.

On this we agree!

Yes indeed.... don't like California? There are 49 other states in this country... find one that works for you. And take the complaining elsewhere.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:31 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
One of my favorite PNW paranoia experiences...I was opening the dairy case at Walgreens & a guy who looked to be 75 approached. I said to him, "Well, looks like they're out of nonfat milk". His eyes widened, he quickly turned around, & bolted in the other direction...dude, I don't want to date you, I just want some milk! You cannot make this stuff up!

Wow, that's bizarre.... in what city/town did it happen?

Old 07-16-2017, 02:44 AM

72 posts, read 79,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
...A lot of people are leaving CA because they're getting taxed up the wazoo...
According to a tax estimator at smartasset, an upper middle class family with an income of $200K gets taxed almost 20% lower in California than it does in Oregon.

You have to be in the lower part of the 39.6% federal tax bracket or higher to pay near equal state income taxes in California and Oregon (over $470K / yr in family income after deductions for a married couple).

The only way Oregon would be a choice for someone "getting taxed up the wazoo" is if they spent their paychecks on shopping sprees at local stores every weekend or they made well over $500k/yr (or any combination of the two).

Old 07-18-2017, 02:49 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patryuji View Post
According to a tax estimator at smartasset, an upper middle class family with an income of $200K gets taxed almost 20% lower in California than it does in Oregon.

You have to be in the lower part of the 39.6% federal tax bracket or higher to pay near equal state income taxes in California and Oregon (over $470K / yr in family income after deductions for a married couple).

The only way Oregon would be a choice for someone "getting taxed up the wazoo" is if they spent their paychecks on shopping sprees at local stores every weekend or they made well over $500k/yr (or any combination of the two).
That seems to make sense. Oregon may not have a sales tax, but they do have state income tax and their property tax rate isn't lower (probably higher) than CA.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:31 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
I have visited Oregon often over the last 7 years. I feel many in Oregon lack social skills and accountability. I don't know why. I have attended a annual car event outside of Portland the last seven years. Two years ago, the event nearly died because the main organizer decided to stop organizing. No warning. The event was saved by participants in Washington, Arizona and California.

My wife who lived in Oregon for 9 years, is owed money from a friend who was low on funds. She has never been paid back even though she has a good job now.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've discussed this with non-Oregonians and they have confirmed my thoughts.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I have visited Oregon often over the last 7 years. I feel many in Oregon lack social skills and accountability. I don't know why. I have attended a annual car event outside of Portland the last seven years. Two years ago, the event nearly died because the main organizer decided to stop organizing. No warning. The event was saved by participants in Washington, Arizona and California.

My wife who lived in Oregon for 9 years, is owed money from a friend who was low on funds. She has never been paid back even though she has a good job now.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've discussed this with non-Oregonians and they have confirmed my thoughts.
This happens in every State. What State you live in does not change who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California