Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:12 PM

130 posts, read 524,508 times

Advertisements

i would suggest orcutt because of the schools and central location or vandenberg village (really small place to live) if u really want to live close to your mom.

basically, u have to drive anywhere to have fun like your looking for, but at least u will live in a nice "more affordable" area to raise a family and be close to your mom compared to santa barbara. think of it this way, the closer u are to work, the more time u can spend with your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 AM

20 posts, read 109,979 times
Move to Pismo Beach there are some great rentals and it's close to SLO, I am fairly new to the area and don't see what is so "hickish" about Santa Maria unless hispanics are now called hicks? am I out of the loop?

Besides nightlife I think there is more to do in Santa Maria compared to Santa Barbara or SLO (with your budget numbers I don't think you'll be going out much anyways.)Santa Maria is an easy drive to Santa Barbara and SLO.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:02 PM

169 posts, read 764,608 times
Pismo is 44 miles from Lompoc, one way. If your mom is going to babysit your daughter each day, the closer to her, the better. You don't want to be driving two hours each day just to your mom's house, let alone what you would need to drive to your work location.
2011 is a LONG way off...so many, many things can and will change by then. Hopefully, you get a chance to come out and visit your Mom A LOT. That is SO very important. I'd give anything in the world, to be able to visit my mom again. Love her up sister!!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:38 AM

20 posts, read 109,979 times
Pismo is still under one hour from Lompoc. 57-58 min to be exact if you follow the speed limit. If your looking for a view it's a good choice, the prices are slightly lower the Santa Barbara and it's a tad bit closer and you'll be traveling on 101 instead of some backwoods two lane highway which has a lot of acciednts on the way to Santa Barbara

Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 AM

33 posts, read 130,408 times
I do not think there is a nice place to rent that would house a family of four in that general area.However if you would purchase a rural house your mortgage would
possible be in that range.
I would go and visit Mom in August when it's nice and hot and go house hunting to see
what is available.Sure it would cost more 2011 but it would give you a better understanding of things in the area that you can't stand.
It's funny to me the rural areas are nicer less litter less exhaust.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM

22 posts, read 101,645 times
Default Close to lompoc with an ocean view???

Within an hour of lompoc and an ocean view-you have 2 options- Santa Barbara which is too expensive for your $ range and long drive for childcare and pismo/avila beach area- closer and maybe slightly less expensive for ocean view(although, I havent priced them). As a cops wife myself, I would suggest first looking at which PD your husband wants to apply and work for as far as benefits,what the department has to offer,pay etc and where he is going to get hired. Then go from there.

ps. Just my opinion but if you are set on moving, the sooner the better. As a police officer, It's best to get in and start putting his years in with a department as far as retirement etc.

Last edited by caliving0071; 03-19-2008 at 10:23 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 22,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhanie78 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Please be kind.

Okay so ... summer of 2011...

Things I'm looking for in the perfect city for us is:

1) Good school district (we have 2 elementary aged kids)
2) NOT boring (like Lompoc) not farm country (sorry, just my opinion)
3) Things to do - must have things to do close/in town such as bowling alley, movie theater, parks close by (things we can do as a family/with the kids)
4) Beach less than 10 minutes away (preferably 5)
5) Would like to RENT a house with an ocean view (we don't plan on buying a house at all - we get bored very easily of things like cars/houses haha)
6) Perfect rent (I'm sure you're laughing at me) would be $1500-$2000 a month but willing to pay more for an ocean view (also need a 3 bedroom cause of the kids)
7) Would like to be within 30 minutes of my mom (she lives in Lompoc) an hour would be do-able I suppose but I'm pretty sure she's going to watch my daughter for me while I'm at work, so the closer the better, although I might try to get her to move out of Lompoc, however she works in Buelleton so she needs to be somewhat close to there.
8) Places to eat. I edited to add this. We like to eat out, are very busy people so we need the normal "restaurants" to eat at. The chain restaurants.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

You really need to decide the priority of your wishes. You will not live within 30 minutes of Lompoc and 5 minutes of the beach unless you live on the west side of Lompoc. That is about 8-10 minutes from the beach. Since you have young ones (and they will want to go in the water), go south where the water is warmer. Orcutt has good schools, until they decide to rezone! The drive to/from Santa Barbara from Lompoc lasted only a year for us. The time lost on the road and car expenses/wear was not worth the pay. Go to Ventura/Oxnard and you can get everything but mom!

Most of all, 2011 is a ways off. To try to put a $ figure to any of this is almost useless.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 29,042 times
I lived in Lompoc for 4 years and was miserable. I also have family in Lompoc. Sunny California does not apply in Lompoc. It was always chilly and fogged in. Natives like to call it the "marine layer". There is no money to be made in Lompoc, I drove to Santa Barbara to work the pay was better but gas was a lot more then. The people in Lompoc are rude, it is over crowded with hispanics that will mow over you in a second at the WalMart rather than say excuse me or attempt to walk around you. I mean hey, I get that they may not all speak English but they are not blind! The closest beach is Surf Beach...the water is too cold year round, if you are thinking sun and fun, jet ski, volleyball type beach....go to Santa Barbara or Pismo! You won't get that in Lompoc. Santa Maria and Lompoc are podunk in my opinion. The best shopping is going to be in Santa Barbara or Ventura. Unfortunately, to meet your wish list you are not going to be 30 min. from your mom. The cost of living in Lompoc is less than S.B, this is why everyone does the commute for work. Which brings me to travel time....I have a lead foot and getting to work from Lompoc to Santa Barbara in 1 hour was cutting it close. I'm not sure how the other commenters are doing it in 30 minutes. My suggestion would be Buellton or Solvang for the better climate and is a half way point to Lompoc and Santa Barbara. We seem to have some common interests as to our ideal surroundings/wants, trust me Lompoc/Santa Maria is not for you.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhanie78 View Post
Things I'm looking for in the perfect city for us is:

1) Good school district (we have 2 elementary aged kids)
2) NOT boring (like Lompoc) not farm country (sorry, just my opinion)
3) Things to do - must have things to do close/in town such as bowling alley, movie theater, parks close by (things we can do as a family/with the kids)
4) Beach less than 10 minutes away (preferably 5)
5) Would like to RENT a house with an ocean view (we don't plan on buying a house at all - we get bored very easily of things like cars/houses haha)
6) Perfect rent (I'm sure you're laughing at me) would be $1500-$2000 a month but willing to pay more for an ocean view (also need a 3 bedroom cause of the kids)
7) Would like to be within 30 minutes of my mom (she lives in Lompoc) an hour would be do-able I suppose but I'm pretty sure she's going to watch my daughter for me while I'm at work, so the closer the better, although I might try to get her to move out of Lompoc, however she works in Buelleton so she needs to be somewhat close to there.
8) Places to eat. I edited to add this. We like to eat out, are very busy people so we need the normal "restaurants" to eat at. The chain restaurants.

I was thinking Santa Barbara cause it's so close to the beach. Was also thinking Santa Maria but now I'm hearing that it's basically a hick-town. Is that true? When I went there with my mom to that newish shopping mall area it didn't look too hickish.

Can you guys recommend any other cities close by? Like I said, I'll be an RN by the time we move there an my husband will be a cop. What do you think we could afford based on that?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

I live in SB and just recently moved (I rent). Two bedroom apartments that are clean and fairly roomy are going to be 1700-2450/mo and houses are going to be MUCH higher. They pretty much start at 2300 and go up from there. My sister rents out her house and it is a 2bed/1 bath and she gets 2750/mo. If you can see the beach, forget it. Santa Maria is MUCH cheaper as is Lompoc (more crime in Santa Maria). Buelton is less than SB but not by much. I just looked at craiglist and 3 bedrooms go for 2800 and up. No telling what rents will be in 2 years. They NEVER go down here. If it is less than that, you may not want it. Most 2 bedroom places I looked that I would MAYBE consider were at least 1750 and less than 600 square feet.

If you want a beach town, Santa Maria will not make you happy. It is farmland. Lompoc is closer to the beach but certain areas get super windy and as you have said, it isn't the hub of excitement. You can check Carpinteria which is about 20 minutes south of SB. It is a little cheaper. Ventura is also cheaper than SB and close to the beach BUT both are farther from your mother.

Let me know if I can help. Both your career and your husbands are in demand here.

J

Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 11,355 times
You should look into Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo area, if you are looking for beaches and lot's to do. Although I would recommend Orcutt for Schools and you would be close to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California