Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:51 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We have actually encouraged our sons to live with us while in college (we can pay for college in full if they do, leaving them with no debt) and we have told them as long as they can live by our rules, they are welcome to live with us while single.

It would be wonderful if they could get a career started, save for a nice downpayment on a house, and be financially secure before starting a family.
Us too. No reason to see the kids struggle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with this.

Problem is, most young people living at home aren't saving feverishly. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the money that would have been going to rent is often going to payments on an overly expensive car and/or entertainment.
True . This seems common in L.A .
A lot of people figure they'll never be able to buy or maybe even rent their own place so they go and buy a really "nice car" . Brand new BMW or Mercedes for example .
Then it's easy to become trapped in a way and end up at the end having spent 50k or more on a car that has little value . Older luxury cars depreciate very fast and have huge repair/maintenance bills .

Old 05-15-2017, 01:56 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'm a "late Boomer" born in 1960 (not of a recent immigrant background). I bounced back and forth between my own place and my parent's home three times between 21 and 32. They didn't mind, I paid them rent and it helped me get back on my feet with a minimum of trouble. My older brother did the same - once with a wife and two kids. Its not a new thing.
It's not new, but it's more common than it has been over the last 40 years.

In some cases, it's understandable. High housing costs in places like CA as well as student loans pretty much price young people out of even a basic apartment.

In others, though, the parents have enabled their kids to be slackers.

I also see some gray area in between. The kids aren't total slackers, but they are quasi-enabled. They may have a part time job, or even two, but they're not really putting the time and energy into getting themselves in a good employment position and they're not really saving much, either.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:56 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We have actually encouraged our sons to live with us while in college (we can pay for college in full if they do, leaving them with no debt) and we have told them as long as they can live by our rules, they are welcome to live with us while single.

It would be wonderful if they could get a career started, save for a nice downpayment on a house, and be financially secure before starting a family.
some smart aleck would say we are 18, we are adults..forgetting that they are still under the parents roof (if they choose to stay)

Old 05-15-2017, 01:59 PM

711 posts, read 688,884 times
We've had a few "sandwich" families in our neighborhood and it seems to have worked out well for everyone. In some cases the parents brought one or both of their parents into their home for health/safety needs. The "child" of the parent lived at home as well so there was almost always someone there to help care for the senior "grandparent" in the home.

I've also seen a few situations where the parents traveled a lot (either for work or play) and having someone else living there was handy for pet care, bringing in the mail, etc etc.

In the families I've seen around me, it hasn't been a hardship or difficulty for any of the parties involved.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
some smart aleck would say we are 18, we are adults..forgetting that they are still under the parents roof (if they choose to stay)
Orly according to the law. Mentally they have a way to go. Just ask anyone who is 30 how adult they were at 18.

Answer: "not very".

Old 05-15-2017, 06:10 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
This article on the same study points out that this is a nationwide trend; it isn't just California. The percentage of young people living with parents is up nationwide.

I think that's important to keep in mind so that this doesn't become another "California bashing" thread.
Exactly. And there are a few states that have a higher percentage than California does.

Census: More Americans 18-to-34 Now Live With Parents Than With Spouse

Old 05-15-2017, 06:20 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Exactly. And there are a few states that have a higher percentage than California does.

Census: More Americans 18-to-34 Now Live With Parents Than With Spouse
You mean to tell me that California isn't numero uno for this? Oh my what will we do?

Kidding aside, it's unfortunate this is happening in the country. It really drives home how out of balance the cost of living vs. earning a decent living in the U.S. is now.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You mean to tell me that California isn't numero uno for this? Oh my what will we do?

Kidding aside, it's unfortunate this is happening in the country. It really drives home how out of balance the cost of living vs. earning a decent living in the U.S. is now.
And not getting any better.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And not getting any better.
Something will change, expatCA. It always does.

As for housing, the price of rent WILL come down as soon as more development goes up. A recent news story stated that very thing. Sacramento has seen the sharpest rise in rent prices and they attribute it to supply. It's just not there. Bay area prices are worse. It isn't any wonder young people are moving back home. It seems to be the only way they'll ever get a leg up to make it in this ever increasing economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: