Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
he's just smart and probably tree hugger.

Sorry, can't resist -- wouldn't a "tree hugger" want to live in a tree house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:30 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Sorry, can't resist -- wouldn't a "tree hugger" want to live in a tree house?
tree hugger is an environmentalist..they guy still living with his oldies probably wants to reduce his carbon footprint by not getting a place of his own

Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Maybe...sounds like this person could move out and rent no problem
He could also put his money in a gasoline drum and light it on fire both would yield the same result

Old 05-16-2017, 12:04 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
He could also put his money in a gasoline drum and light it on fire both would yield the same result
Good point and I agree about renting....but he still doesn't have to live at home due to financial constraints

I'd rather rent than live with my parents

Old 05-16-2017, 12:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Yes it's true and I'm doing my part with two of them, 26 and 30. One isn't even officially mine. We all live and work in one of the now priciest areas in the country, although it wasn't that way at all when I settled here. I've always thought multigenerational households were somewhat logical, and growing up I had 2 grandparents living with us at various times, so this isn't that weird for me. Besides, those 2 rooms would just be sitting empty.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
tree hugger is an environmentalist..they guy still living with his oldies probably wants to reduce his carbon footprint by not getting a place of his own
You say this like it's a bad thing --.

Why do you care about the life choices of others?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
You say this like it's a bad thing --.

Why do you care about the life choices of others?
i never said i don't like what others make of their own lives.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:26 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Exactly. And there are a few states that have a higher percentage than California does.

Census: More Americans 18-to-34 Now Live With Parents Than With Spouse
Interesting. The lowest states (like the bottom 10) are mostly Midwestern and Western with low unemployment, high wages and reasonable housing costs. Basically the way it used to be in many parts of the country a generation or two ago. The 15% living at home in North Dakota is pretty telling - those oil jobs pay well!

Old 05-17-2017, 12:35 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with this.

Problem is, most young people living at home aren't saving feverishly. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the money that would have been going to rent is often going to payments on an overly expensive car and/or entertainment.
I'm not seeing this. The young people I know who are living with family are definitely socking money away for later. No one at that stage in life is into expensive cars, except for the few who lack any sense, and weren't raised to have money management skills.

I did know one guy who did exactly that; spent his paychecks on clothes, expensive sport shoes, and ultimately, an expensive car. But when he moved out on his own, so much money was tied up in the car and car insurance (surprise! Ins. is more expensive when you have an expensive car ), that he ended up declaring bankruptcy. He couldn't afford to pay rent and car payments/ins. He hadn't been raised in an environment of saving, being disciplined with money, and all that.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:55 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
No, it wouldn't yield the same result, necessarily. Especially not if he HAD to move. It would mean the difference between having a roof over one's head and not having that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: