Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 08:36 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,350,054 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but it's interesting and far less ambitious than what they have been talking about in California, Nevada wrote legislation to allow anyone without health insurance to buy into medicaid:

Under his bill, people who qualify for tax credits under the Affordable Care Act would be able to use those credits to buy Medicaid coverage instead. People who don’t qualify for anything would be able to use their own money to do the same. The plan would likely sell on Nevada’s health insurance marketplace, making it a public option to compete against the private health insurance plans also selling there.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...dicaid-for-all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,996,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Ok, now I have to admit I think you're being a bit of a jerk. Way too stuck in all-or-nothing thinking.

50 years ago, we simply were not bombarded with the quantity of food we are today. Yes, people really do need to be more disciplined. I don't deny that. But I am in only in my 40s and I can remember when a standard single coke can/bottle was 10oz. Then it went to 12oz. Now, it's hard to get the 12oz in the single serve cans. All the stores have 20oz. I also remember a time when you couldn't just eat anywhere. Now you can eat in the library (at least where I live). There were more rules around when people could and couldn't eat even 20 years ago compared to now. 50 years ago, there was very little fake/processed food. It didn't exist and/or was much more rare.

Discipline alone isn't going to get us where we want to be.
You can call me any name in the book (jerk, douche, mean guy, etc). It doesn't change the fact that lack of discipline is the #1 determining factor if someone is going to be an overweight fat body or someone with a normal BMI.

All of your excuses (bombarded with quantity of food, 10oz cans vs 12oz, being able to eat anywhere, processed food, etc) are just cop outs.

My brother's wife is from Korea. She moved here 10 years ago after graduating from University, for work. When she arrived 10 years ago she was 110 pounds and 5'7. Basically rail thin. 10 years later? She's 110 pounds, 5'7. You know why? Because she isn't some undisciplined cow who stuffs her face and actually takes responsibility for what she puts into her mouth. What a concept.

She doesn't go out and eat big macs, she doesn't even drink soda, and even though she can eat "in the library" guess what... she controls herself from random unneeded snacking! Unreal right?

Stop making excuses for fat people in America. They are fat because they refuse to control their base desire to stuff their faces. You don't see this type of obesity in Norway, Japan, Korea. They have all the SAME access to the foods we have here. They just don't act like pigs.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:07 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
You can call me any name in the book (jerk, douche, mean guy, etc). It doesn't change the fact that lack of discipline is the #1 determining factor if someone is going to be an overweight fat body or someone with a normal BMI.

All of your excuses (bombarded with quantity of food, 10oz cans vs 12oz, being able to eat anywhere, processed food, etc) are just cop outs.

My brother's wife is from Korea. She moved here 10 years ago after graduating from University, for work. When she arrived 10 years ago she was 110 pounds and 5'7. Basically rail thin. 10 years later? She's 110 pounds, 5'7. You know why? Because she isn't some undisciplined cow who stuffs her face and actually takes responsibility for what she puts into her mouth. What a concept.

She doesn't go out and eat big macs, she doesn't even drink soda, and even though she can eat "in the library" guess what... she controls herself from random unneeded snacking! Unreal right?

Stop making excuses for fat people in America. They are fat because they refuse to control their base desire to stuff their faces. You don't see this type of obesity in Norway, Japan, Korea. They have all the SAME access to the foods we have here. They just don't act like pigs.
Now, now ask any fat person and it is their DNA that is the problem.

For some that is true just as some people are rail thin their whole life no matter what they eat, However fort he vast majority it is simply a lack of self control.

Junk food, too much junk food, too much, fat, sugar, salt, carbs and not enough good for you food and ................. no real desire to change, just hope for a pill to fix it.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:22 AM

911 posts, read 591,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Now, now ask any fat person and it is their DNA that is the problem.

For some that is true just as some people are rail thin their whole life no matter what they eat, However fort he vast majority it is simply a lack of self control.

Junk food, too much junk food, too much, fat, sugar, salt, carbs and not enough good for you food and ................. no real desire to change, just hope for a pill to fix it.
"For some that is true" ... but for most "it is simply a lack of self control?"

So, we, as a culture, are fed, for generations, information from experts on how to eat to be healthy - and much of that information is lies to support toxic product sales. Only to find that the genetics of over half of us cannot thrive normally as prescribed by corporate-supported science. And the very prescriptive products are also designed to be lethally addictive. Meanwhile, the "ideal" image of health is continuously pushed as the minority natural genetic type of thin and svelte. Driving greater and greater self-deprecation and self-disillusionment as failure to conform is hammered home as failure of character.

At the same time, we, as a culture, have been taught for thousands of years that cruel, condescending judgementalism, ridicule and condemnation of others are among the worst of character traits where graciousness and understanding are the highest.

Yet, being overweight is reviled while judging the overweight is applauded.

Carry on ...

Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,292,618 times
a doctor I know told me that a lot of these pains/sickness americans complain of can be relieved by just losing weight. hip replacement, back pains, knee cap replacement.. more often than not, the bones could not just carry the weight anymore

a friend of mine who had back surgery know that he gained weight when he feels pain in his back and he starts watching his diet again. no pain relievers, just diet

Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 PM

19,226 posts, read 16,739,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
a doctor I know told me that a lot of these pains/sickness americans complain of can be relieved by just losing weight. hip replacement, back pains, knee cap replacement.. more often than not, the bones could not just carry the weight anymore

a friend of mine who had back surgery know that he gained weight when he feels pain in his back and he starts watching his diet again. no pain relievers, just diet
^^ This. Interesting, too is that many hospitals in my area have programs that address this. Surprisingly, their insurance will pay for educating them in proper nutrition and weight loss.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:18 PM

19,226 posts, read 16,739,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but it's interesting and far less ambitious than what they have been talking about in California, Nevada wrote legislation to allow anyone without health insurance to buy into medicaid:

Under his bill, people who qualify for tax credits under the Affordable Care Act would be able to use those credits to buy Medicaid coverage instead. People who don’t qualify for anything would be able to use their own money to do the same. The plan would likely sell on Nevada’s health insurance marketplace, making it a public option to compete against the private health insurance plans also selling there.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...dicaid-for-all
I recall reading something about this. I thought maybe it might happen in California but I haven't seen anything about it but I really don't follow it that closely. Might be a good thing to have here, though.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:41 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,996,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post

Exactly.

Here are the top 10 causes of preventable death according to the CDC in the U.S.

Heart disease - People eating too much and being undisciplined about their diets.
Cancer (malignant neoplasms)
Chronic lower respiratory disease - Majority life long smokers.
Accidents (unintentional injuries)
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases) - People eating too much and being undisciplined about their diets.
Alzheimer's disease
Diabetes - People eating too much and being undisciplined about their diets.
Influenza and pneumonia
Kidney disease (nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis) - People eating too much and being undisciplined about their diets.
Suicide

So there we go, out of the Top 10 preventable death causes, HALF, have to do with what people put into their mouths on a daily basis.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:07 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
"For some that is true" ... but for most "it is simply a lack of self control?"

So, we, as a culture, are fed, for generations, information from experts on how to eat to be healthy - and much of that information is lies to support toxic product sales. Only to find that the genetics of over half of us cannot thrive normally as prescribed by corporate-supported science. And the very prescriptive products are also designed to be lethally addictive. Meanwhile, the "ideal" image of health is continuously pushed as the minority natural genetic type of thin and svelte. Driving greater and greater self-deprecation and self-disillusionment as failure to conform is hammered home as failure of character.

At the same time, we, as a culture, have been taught for thousands of years that cruel, condescending judgementalism, ridicule and condemnation of others are among the worst of character traits where graciousness and understanding are the highest.

Yet, being overweight is reviled while judging the overweight is applauded.

Carry on ...
Describe "overweight".

I said "Fat" and that means way more than just overweight. No one is perfect as to weight as there is no such thing. But being Fat is a problem and based on eating habits and life style. In the 60's and 70' many were ignorant about what all the new foods, etc would do and had no idea about the increase in sugar and salt in foods. Today only a total fool is not aware of it.

Being overweight in the context of this discussion is not being reviled, but pointed out as a health and cost problem. The only judging seems to be coming from you.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:28 PM

911 posts, read 591,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Describe "overweight".

I said "Fat" and that means way more than just overweight. No one is perfect as to weight as there is no such thing. But being Fat is a problem and based on eating habits and life style. In the 60's and 70' many were ignorant about what all the new foods, etc would do and had no idea about the increase in sugar and salt in foods. Today only a total fool is not aware of it.

Being overweight in the context of this discussion is not being reviled, but pointed out as a health and cost problem. The only judging seems to be coming from you.
"The only judging seems to be coming from you." Apparently you haven't been reading the posts in this thread blatantly ridiculing people for their difficulties dealing with addictive dietary habits promoted - aggressively - for generations after generations by corporate America.

"Fat." "Overweight." Whatever. Feel free to insert "fat" for overweight. The same observation holds: judging others to the point of scorn and ridicule is a character flaw that exceeds overeating as we have been conditioned to do by powerful forces that have enlisted science to create addictive products sold from cradle to grave. Nowhere is ridicule and scorn sold as an addictive necessity of life. You want to challenge strength of will and character? Look to attitude toward fellow mankind before physical addictions created by immoral corporate greed.

Lay off the arrogance toward fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California