Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 856,061 times

Advertisements

Hello people thanks for replies
Im looking for a gang free area , no diversity was sarcastic all communities that have no gang or low crime are fine.
Don't have anything against anyone but have a little boy who is half white i dont want him bullied or lured towards drugs
In other words no compton and oakland type areas ive heard they are pretty bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Im looking for a gang free area , no diversity was sarcastic all communities that have no gang or low crime are fine.
Don't have anything against anyone but have a little boy who is half white i dont want him bullied or lured towards drugs
You can't do much better than Compton or Oakland when it comes to drugs and gangs. The gang issue is moderate and present in the central valley. You have to pick your neighborhood and school district. Gang issue is near zero in the foothills. Law enforcement and the locals don't tolerate that sort of activity. It takes apathy to allow gangs to take hold. Not how things are here.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Ah, that's clearer. I only know northern CA, but in my experience, the gangs really only thrive in lower-income areas. Drugs, on the other hand, cost money.

It was ironic that my parents, who were lower middle-class, actually worked two jobs (my dad) to afford to send me to a private school, which as it turned out, had a lot more drugs than the public schools, simply because the kids could afford them. Did our parents know? Heck no.

But, a more affluent area will have more resources - which means more cops, more social workers, more watch-dogs.

I also found that the smaller towns that I moved to, actually had more problems with drugs and crime and domestic violence. And if your kids are going to school with kids from homes where there is domestic violence, those kids are more likely to be into drugs and violence themselves.

So, full circle, you're probably better off closer to Alamo than you thought.

The black gangs will be nearer poorer areas with a higher black population, the hispanic gangs will nearer the poorer areas with higher hispanic populations. Gangs thrive where there are kids that are hurting, who are looking for a replacement family.

As far as drugs, even in affluent areas, there is no guarantee your kids won't be exposed to drugs. The only real weapon against that, is giving your kids good self-esteem and a safe and calm home life, so they don't need to "escape" their lives. Then, they may still experiment, but it wouldn't take hold of their lives.

From my experience, for what it's worth.

And by the way, look at the map of where there are opioid epidemics - they're in poorer areas with higher unemployment rates - including the mid-west and the south. That's not a California thing. People get hooked on drugs, not because they are available, but because they are unhappy and need to escape their lives.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:17 AM

1,122 posts, read 962,587 times
My sister and her husband live in Big Pine, CA at base of Sierra Nevada. Bishop n Mammoth you might want to check out for the heck of it. Very rural but it is the high desert. Just a thought! :-)

Old 06-24-2017, 11:40 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,705,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
My sister and her husband live in Big Pine, CA at base of Sierra Nevada. Bishop n Mammoth you might want to check out for the heck of it. Very rural but it is the high desert. Just a thought! :-)
I like the Eastern Sierra including Bishop, Mammoth, Big Pine, etc... But the OP wants to be within 3 hours of the Bay area which it definitely is not. In addition, there is no practical Winter access with the closing of all the high passes. That is unless one wants to drive many more hours south then north again go around the High Sierra range.

Derek

Old 06-24-2017, 12:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
OP, I can't vouch for the schools but I suggest you, at least consider Placerville. It is as close to the midwest life style you will get within 3 hours of you sister. Another area you may want to consider would be Paradise or Oroville. Someone suggested Chico, well Chico isn't going to have many trees, and it is going to be out of your price range for sure. I am not even sure the other places I have suggested will be in your price range. I will add though, Chico is a nice little town, with some feeling of midwest. Depending on your down payment, you may be able to buy something more expensive. Even though I mentioned Paradise which is almost like heaven, it might be a little further than you want to be from your sister.
Again, let me stress, your budget is low, but if you can find something in your range, Placerville is a wonderful little town. I have always loved stopping in the downtown area for a meal when we head or used to head to Tahoe.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:12 AM

114 posts, read 111,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Someone suggested Chico, well Chico isn't going to have many trees, and it is going to be out of your price range for sure.
Um, we're certified a Tree City USA by the Arbor Day Foundation and we have one of the largest municipal parks in the country. We have a lot of trees. There are also plenty of 3bd/2ba homes on the market that would suit his budget.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:08 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
OP, you haven't mentioned employment or line of work. This might be a real determinant, because many of these affordable areas mentioned may or may not have what you may need to do for an income.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:02 AM

101 posts, read 137,506 times
My suggestion is to spend a couple days driving around the area. Chico was my first thought too but you actually have a lot of options.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:40 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Chico, Winters, Marysville, Redding, Woodland, and Elk Grove (though suburban and not rural) all come to my mind as viable options for the OP.

If the OP wants a Midwestern "taste" with an ultimate far North State "feel," then I suggest Yreka. I liked its friendliness when I was up there last year, and the views of Mt. Shasta are just gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California