Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 01:14 AM

65 posts, read 61,615 times

Advertisements

I found a 10 year old post asking about the Yosemite area and I have the same questions, so I'm just going to cut and paste a few from here; http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...-mariposa.html (thank you SingleNurseMom and I hope you found a good place!).
.... let's see if I can list them all, so they'll show up on the appropriate city profiles, like Sonora, Columbia, Jamestown, Soulsbyville, Tuolumne, Twain Harte, Chinese Camp, Knights Ferry, Groveland, Moccasin, Buck Meadows, Coultersville, Bear Valley, Mount Bullion, Catheys Valley, Mariposa, Midpines, Bass Lake, Oakhurst, Coarsegold, North Fork, etc....

* If you live in any of these areas, what are the pros and cons of each?

* What/where is the nearest hospital? What kind of a drive is it from any of these places to the nearest hospital especially in the winter?

* Do these cities/towns ever get snow, and how much? (I love the snow!)

* How hot does it get in the summer? (As bad as Sac?)

* What is the crime rate like there?
I'm thinking of relocating from Humboldt county California and have always loved Yosemite.The other questions I have are how friendly are people?I'll be moving from a place where I know everyone but people generally only socialize at public events and in public places. Even people who have known each other for 20 years or more don't socialize much other than in public.I would rather find a more down home place.The other question is how conservative/liberal is the area and how tolerant are each towards the other? I hang out with hippies till I get sick of it then hang out with rednecks till I get sick of that and back and forth. I would love to find a place where there isn't such a broad division. If there is such a place, lol.

& how is Tuolumne county's planning and building dept to deal with? I would like to find a fixer... Here in Humboldt for instance, the county planning and building is a major PITA, whereas the next county over- Mendocino, is not only easy, but helpful. But the wells/septic dept (Environmental) can be very strict..

So many questions. Thank You! to anyone who has any feedback!

Last edited by Lynn 123; 08-08-2017 at 01:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:40 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
If what you say is true, the social scene in Humbolt county sounds strange. But I saw a similar change in Mendocino county when all of the pot growing came in. We've lived in Tuolumne county for 15 years and people here have normal social relationships. We have dinner with friends all the time.

When we moved here from Mendocino country, I thought how different it was here, but came to realize it was Mendocino that was the "different" place.

There are very few hippies here and very few people grow pot. We had a few dispensaries a few years ago, but they were shut down due to illegal activities.

People here are friendly and different groups seen to get along. This is a red county. 2/3 republicans. Not much new age stuff, mostly Christian. Low crime. Weather depends on elevation. You can live in Twain Harte and expect snow in the winter and high summer temps in the 90s. Dry heat. Four seasons.

Good hospital in Sonora.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:33 AM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
For the places on Highway 41 (Bass Lake, Oakhurst, Coarsegold, North Fork), the nearest hospitals are in Fresno (Kaiser, St. Agnes, Community) or in Madera (MCH, Childrens). Drive to any of these is 45 minutes, maybe more depending on details. Both Kaiser and Community have intermediate facilities in Oakhurst.

They do get some snow and summers are cooler than Sac for sure.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If what you say is true, the social scene in Humbolt county sounds strange. But I saw a similar change in Mendocino county when all of the pot growing came in. We've lived in Tuolumne county for 15 years and people here have normal social relationships. We have dinner with friends all the time.

When we moved here from Mendocino country, I thought how different it was here, but came to realize it was Mendocino that was the "different" place.

There are very few hippies here and very few people grow pot. We had a few dispensaries a few years ago, but they were shut down due to illegal activities.

People here are friendly and different groups seen to get along. This is a red county. 2/3 republicans. Not much new age stuff, mostly Christian. Low crime. Weather depends on elevation. You can live in Twain Harte and expect snow in the winter and high summer temps in the 90s. Dry heat. Four seasons.

Good hospital in Sonora.
Thank you 5150! Very useful information. Mendocino is friendlier than Humboldt right now. It's getting slightly better- some of us are talking about having dinner parties, and we actually had a few- but that is sort of a new thing. I've been to many more in Mendocino county, about 30 to 60 miles away from me.

It might not be just the pot. I lived in Santa Cruz years ago and it was a VERY friendly place. The pot growers down there frequently threw parties at their houses and this was when it was far more paranoid than today. I'm beginning to think it's the land itself. Maybe it's never been all that friendly.

Isn't Sonora an artist's town? Or did it used to be one?

Not sure if I'll be able to move there, my friends who might go in on a property are afraid because of the recent fires, and if I moved by myself... all I'm seeing in the low end fixers are what we are calling "Hanta Virus shacks"- roofs falling through, in prime bear habitat... But- you never know... things could change.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
For the places on Highway 41 (Bass Lake, Oakhurst, Coarsegold, North Fork), the nearest hospitals are in Fresno (Kaiser, St. Agnes, Community) or in Madera (MCH, Childrens). Drive to any of these is 45 minutes, maybe more depending on details. Both Kaiser and Community have intermediate facilities in Oakhurst.

They do get some snow and summers are cooler than Sac for sure.
Thanks Adriatica

Do you have any idea if the snow fall is about the same (depending on elevation) as the Grass Valley area?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn 123 View Post
Thank you 5150! Very useful information. Mendocino is friendlier than Humboldt right now. It's getting slightly better- some of us are talking about having dinner parties, and we actually had a few- but that is sort of a new thing. I've been to many more in Mendocino county, about 30 to 60 miles away from me.

It might not be just the pot. I lived in Santa Cruz years ago and it was a VERY friendly place. The pot growers down there frequently threw parties at their houses and this was when it was far more paranoid than today. I'm beginning to think it's the land itself. Maybe it's never been all that friendly.

Isn't Sonora an artist's town? Or did it used to be one?

Not sure if I'll be able to move there, my friends who might go in on a property are afraid because of the recent fires, and if I moved by myself... all I'm seeing in the low end fixers are what we are calling "Hanta Virus shacks"- roofs falling through, in prime bear habitat... But- you never know... things could change.
Don't let fear keep you from your dreams

Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 PM

478 posts, read 691,639 times
fresno is the closest MAJOR city to yosemite. If any of the small surrounding towns don't have what you need, you'll be going there. Fresno is the 5th largest city in CA, next to SF. Depending where in Yosemite you are and where in Fresno you are going (since both are big areas) it can be as quick as 45min-1hr to as long as 1.5hr to 2hr. As mentioned Fresno/Clovis have big/major hospitals along with the highly rated Valley Children's hospital which officially is in Madera but might as well be fresno being close to the border.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Don't let fear keep you from your dreams
Thank you, that's helpful

Old 08-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
fresno is the closest MAJOR city to yosemite. If any of the small surrounding towns don't have what you need, you'll be going there. Fresno is the 5th largest city in CA, next to SF. Depending where in Yosemite you are and where in Fresno you are going (since both are big areas) it can be as quick as 45min-1hr to as long as 1.5hr to 2hr. As mentioned Fresno/Clovis have big/major hospitals along with the highly rated Valley Children's hospital which officially is in Madera but might as well be fresno being close to the border.

Thank you

Old 08-17-2017, 03:44 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,836 times
I lived in Fresno/Clovis for a while. In my opinion, if you want to live close to Yosemite, Oakhurst is the nicest little town out of the ones you have listed. Bass Lake is really special too, but it's farther away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California