Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 06:40 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times

Advertisements

Very interesting info-graphic, HereonMars. As you mentioned, a second way to slice and dice the state would be with a line dividing the state into East and West. The unemployment differences between the Northern and Southern Coastal metro areas aren't all that big, but the differences between the metro areas in the Eastern half of the State and the Western Half (more like third) are huge.

I know we need agriculture, but in those areas where unemployment is perennially high, we also need other types of jobs. For example, in Imperial County, a lot of agricultural land is now going fallow due to water rights (Imperial farmers have sold their water rights to San Diego County). So, there is certainly room out there to attract other types of jobs without destroying active agricultural areas.

The key, of course, would be attracting more people with the right job skills to move to the eastern side of the state to attract and maintain industries like software/IT. One attraction might be the cost of housing. It's still possible to buy new homes on the Eastern side for about a third (or even less if we're talking the Bay area) to the cost of homes on the western side of the state.

Of course, everyone wants to live by the Pacific. Hmmm, maybe that's another reason to revive the Salton Sea to its former glory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 06:54 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Trump is doing a good job! Thanks for sharing his approach is working and to think, even Californians benefit!

Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Trump is doing a good job! Thanks for sharing his approach is working and to think, even Californians benefit!
Actually Trump is too busy acting like a petulant 10 year old to interfere with California job growth.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:23 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually Trump is too busy acting like a petulant 10 year old to interfere with California job growth.
Nope, Trump had everything to do with California's growth

#Trump2020

Old 08-19-2017, 08:19 PM

I know the topic here is California, but since someone brought up how much unemployment has IMPROVED under Trump, here are some quotes from the National Unemployment Report (released August 2017) from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Here's some quotes from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics National Report:

Both the (national) unemployment rate, at 4.3 percent, and the number of unemployed persons, at 7.0 million, changed little in July. After declining earlier in the year, the unemployment rate has shown little movement in recent months.

Among the unemployed, the number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) was little changed at 1.8 million in July and accounted for 25.9 percent of the unemployed.

The labor force participation rate, at 62.9 percent, changed little in July and has shown little movement on net over the past year.

Among the marginally attached, there were 536,000 discouraged workers in July, essentially unchanged over the year. Discouraged workers are persons not currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them

The report also noted that "Employment in other major industries, including construction, manufacturing, wholesale trade, retail
trade, transportation and warehousing, information, financial activities, and government, showed little change."

Full report is here: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

(I have no horse in this race. I am not a member of either of the two ruling parties. I just prefer to deal with facts instead of hyperbole.)

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-19-2017 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 08:53 PM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Very interesting info-graphic, HereonMars. As you mentioned, a second way to slice and dice the state would be with a line dividing the state into East and West. The unemployment differences between the Northern and Southern Coastal metro areas aren't all that big, but the differences between the metro areas in the Eastern half of the State and the Western Half (more like third) are huge.

I know we need agriculture, but in those areas where unemployment is perennially high, we also need other types of jobs. For example, in Imperial County, a lot of agricultural land is now going fallow due to water rights (Imperial farmers have sold their water rights to San Diego County). So, there is certainly room out there to attract other types of jobs without destroying active agricultural areas.

The key, of course, would be attracting more people with the right job skills to move to the eastern side of the state to attract and maintain industries like software/IT. One attraction might be the cost of housing. It's still possible to buy new homes on the Eastern side for about a third (or even less if we're talking the Bay area) to the cost of homes on the western side of the state.

Of course, everyone wants to live by the Pacific. Hmmm, maybe that's another reason to revive the Salton Sea to its former glory.
Updating you on the push to divide the state into sections. You might recall a couple years ago, a Silicon Valley venture capitalist by the name of Tim Draper spent millions of dollars in an effort to get a petition on the ballot to divide CA into six separate states. He didn't garner enough traction for it so he's revised his initiative and wants to have it sectioned into three states. CBS posted a map of his idea but it was messed up. The map completely left out Tulare County and included Imperial County into two sections. With that upset, I don't put much credence into it. When they fix the bugs, I'll revisit the idea.

Aside from that, I think there are ways to bring business into the south central area of the state. As you mentioned, however, most people today want the milder climate and that portion of the state just isn't the place to find it. As a native, I'm accustomed to the hot dry summers but even I wouldn't want to move down there, even if I wasn't retired. (Call me chicken )

I think it's possible though to bring jobs to the area but it will take a meeting between Sacramento leaders and those in that area of the state to come up with ideas. Then a push to do it. Nothing grows until you water it, so to speak. I'm not sure that anything can be done to help the Salton Sea and the area around it seeing how it came to be only by a flood from the Colorado River. And with no way for the water to escape except by evaporation, the land around it is so salty, it's a health hazard. It would take an awful lot of marketing to get people believing that part of the state is a mecca for quality life.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually Congress is too busy acting like a petulant 10 year old to interfere with California job growth.
Fixed it

Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Updating you on the push to divide the state into sections. You might recall a couple years ago, a Silicon Valley venture capitalist by the name of Tim Draper spent millions of dollars in an effort to get a petition on the ballot to divide CA into six separate states. He didn't garner enough traction for it so he's revised his initiative and wants to have it sectioned into three states. CBS posted a map of his idea but it was messed up. The map completely left out Tulare County and included Imperial County into two sections. With that upset, I don't put much credence into it. When they fix the bugs, I'll revisit the idea.

Aside from that, I think there are ways to bring business into the south central area of the state. As you mentioned, however, most people today want the milder climate and that portion of the state just isn't the place to find it. As a native, I'm accustomed to the hot dry summers but even I wouldn't want to move down there, even if I wasn't retired. (Call me chicken )

I think it's possible though to bring jobs to the area but it will take a meeting between Sacramento leaders and those in that area of the state to come up with ideas. Then a push to do it. Nothing grows until you water it, so to speak. I'm not sure that anything can be done to help the Salton Sea and the area around it seeing how it came to be only by a flood from the Colorado River. And with no way for the water to escape except by evaporation, the land around it is so salty, it's a health hazard. It would take an awful lot of marketing to get people believing that part of the state is a mecca for quality life.
Yes, all good points.

By the way, I wasn't suggesting we actually divide up the state. I was just wondering how the info graphic would look if, instead of the traditional northern Calif. - Southern Calif. divide, it was divided by Eastern California and Western California.

I spend a lot of time out in the Imperial Valley. Parts of it look like the apocalypse has already come and gone (maybe more than once). But, I've also been surprised to discover some very nice areas in places like Brawley, Imperial (the city), Holtville. Even El Centro has some nicer neighborhoods. So, I wouldn't immediately write off Imperial County as a place that couldn't attract employers looking for a better cost of living for their employees. The same could be said about places like Fresno (nicer than El Centro, for sure), Merced, etc.

Let's just say, there is potential for job development in Eastern California, especially as Western California nears full build out.

The idea isn't all that far fetched. Companies move to Nevada all the time, after all. Of course, Nevada gives tax incentives, so you'd probably have to do something similar in Eastern California to get businesses to move there on a bigger scale.

Anyhow, thanks again for sharing the info graphic. Great addition to the discussion!

Old 08-19-2017, 09:52 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
With such a vastly diverse economy between the northern and southern parts of the state, I found this interesting in how different sectors flourish within the state. The area in the south central part of the state doesn't show anything in this illustration but it's still largely agriculture, which we need. I don't want to see farmland chewed up with housing developments although people should know that as the population increases, there will be a need for places to house them.

According to Forbes, the fastest growing sectors right now are information-technology and construction (7 of 10 industries with the highest sales growth are in construction).

This infographic should be at least somewhat concerning when you consider that only 3 out of the 10 "fastest growing industries" are related to productive economic activity: IT consulting, Residential Building Construction, and Aerospace Engine Parts Manufacturing.

A quick rundown of the other 7:

Commercial Banking - at best this is economic parasitism, at worst this is part of the most evil institution in history - including slavery. See: Federal Reserve, Rothchild family, Soros.

Data Processing - what Google and Facebook does with the info they spy off of you.

Snack Food Production - I love GMOs and processed foods, especially refined sugar. Don't you?

Advertising Agencies - you know, the people responsible for pop-ups and the creepy ads that follow you around the internet.

Breweries - assuming micro-breweries: A phenomenon created by low interest rates, trendiness and millennial vanity. Expect many to go bankrupt in the coming years. Beer is beer, dammit.

Nursing Care, Home Care Providers - what used to be done by family members back in the day when families were strong and intact.

But, this shouldn't be a big surprise when the biggest industries in California outside of Agriculture are Hollywood Crapaganda and zombifiying smartphone apps from Sillygone Valley.

To be fair, this is a microcosm of our country as a whole - too many non-productive jobs (i.e., gov't jobs, non-profits, NGO's, other make-work jobs). Too much crap being produced while harboring a high unemployment rate, with AI looming on the horizon. The only way out of this going forward may be to dramatically reduce the workweek and focus on economically productive jobs.

Last edited by GSR13; 08-19-2017 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 10:00 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
California adds jobs in July

In July California created 82,600 new jobs. That's 40% of the national total of 209,000.

Wow, you can raise the minimum wage and have high taxes and still create new jobs

And no, Trump had nothing to do with it.
That is sooo cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California