Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Oh, and there's this gem as well:

If you think this is natural, I've got some property in Atlantis to sell ya.
Well, I have personally seen trees burning from the inside out during several wild fires close to my home. No lightening strikes involved.

They looked somewhat similar to your photo, although I'm pretty sure that the photo you posted has been doctored in photo shop -- what alternate reality site did you download it from?

And, in a fire that destroyed nearly 300 homes in my area, many trees were left standing right next to houses that burned down. One of my friends found family photos in the bottom of the ruble of her burned out house that were just a little singed. Nothing else in her home was recognizable. Another friend had a pumpkin sitting on her walkway that made it through the fire that destroyed her home without even a burn mark. By the way, that fire was also started by power lines blown down in high winds.

Wild fires don't always work according to human logic (or in the case of some of these posts, humans thinking illogically). Wild fires have their own logic.

So, cut the conspiracy B.S. It doesn't help the thousands who have had their lives destroyed, including my elderly relatives who lost their home last week.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-16-2017 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Well, I have personally seen trees burning from the inside out during several wild fires close to my home. No lightening strikes involved.

They looked somewhat similar to your photo, although I'm pretty sure that the photo you posted has been doctored in photo shop -- what alternate reality site did you download it from?

And, in a fire that destroyed nearly 300 homes in my area, many trees were left standing right next to houses that burned down. One of my friends found family photos in the bottom of the ruble of her burned out house that were just a little singed. Nothing else in her home was recognizable. Another friend had a pumpkin sitting on her walkway that made it through the fire that destroyed her home without even a burn mark. By the way, that fire was also started by power lines blown down in high winds.

Wild fires don't always work according to human logic (or in the case of some of these posts, humans thinking illogically). Wild fires have their own logic.

So, cut the conspiracy B.S. It doesn't help the thousands who have had their lives destroyed, including my elderly relatives who lost their home last week.
Sad but true. Fires have burned for centuries in the forests before man, a normal event and clears the brush and fertilizes the ground and .... the trees do just fine.

Sorry to hear about your relatives, hope they are being taken well care of.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:

I think the photo of the burning tree was legit, there is even a video of it on the KTLA website
Man Searching for Escape Routes Amid NorCal Fires Records Tree Burning From the Inside Out | KTLA

Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thank you RosieSD. Amazingly she has taken care of all of this already, I should never underestimate how strong she is.

She has all the renovation receipts and grabbed them on the way out. I've asked people to collect pics they have in case they are needed, and started a gofundme to help out with any expenses in the interim. They have a place to stay for a few months. We were going to buy a 5th wheel in a few years, but I let them know we can buy it sooner if they need it.

I'll add that on my list to them is to get a PO Box for mail, and do a change of address, and to call doctors if they didn't grab any medications.

They are certainly not the only ones affected so I am hoping the "things to do" will assist others.

Luckily their insurance company has been very helpful so far, also they just changed insurance so the renovations are included (they did a LOT).

I hate that I am thousands of miles away, but there is not much I could do anyway.
Mikala, I'm sorry for your sister's loss, and happy though, that she and her loved ones are safe. My thoughts qnd prayers are with her and for all those that have suffered the loss of their loved ones, and property in these fires.

I don't know if insurance companies provide their covered homeowners with emergency funds to cover necessary expenses right after a loss like hers (for incidental everyday expenses, rental deposits if the home is unlivable, or destroyed as your sisters' was, emergency temporary repairs to the property if that applies), but IMO it's worth asking if the insurance company does not offer the information.

Our home was virtually destroyed in Hurricane Andrew in Miami in 1992, ours along with about 125,000 houses and other buildings with more or less degrees of destruction. Our homeowner's insurance at the time was with State Farm, as were most of the other insured homes in that location. Since so many of these homes were unihabitable, the insurance company gave each insured party $5000 as an advance from their claims, for those emergency expenses. The insured folks had to go to an agent (they set up trailers for this purpose) with copies of their policies (no power and computers were down in this area) as proof of their insurance and were given a check for the amount on the spot.

That emergency money was very helpful. And I'm hoping the insurance companies might still provide it to their policyholders in situations such as your sister faces.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Sad but true. Fires have burned for centuries in the forests before man, a normal event and clears the brush and fertilizes the ground and .... the trees do just fine.

Sorry to hear about your relatives, hope they are being taken well care of.
Yes, these folks looking for a conspiracy need to take a look at photos from other major wildfires that destroyed neighborhoods, such as the massive 2003 and 2007 fires in San Diego County. They'll see it looked pretty much like Santa Rosa in parts of SD County after those fires (well, we had more palm trees...). But there are plenty of other photos from other big wildfires available showing the same thing, both here in California and other parts of the U.S. and world.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-16-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-16-2017, 10:58 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Yes, these folks looking for a conspiracy need to take a look at photos from other major wildfires that destroyed neighborhoods, such as the 2003 and 2007 fires in San Diego County. Looked pretty much like Santa Rosa in parts of SD County after those fires (well, we had more palm trees...)
I agree & also wild fires can spread underground, along root systems, so that could also travel up inside a tree. People who probably have never set foot inside our great state, can stop spouting nonsense about things they know nothing of.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:26 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
My sister is situated. Insurance gave them 3 places to look at, the chose on, the insurance company went through a list of furniture and she picked what they needed, it will be delivered soon, they also provide a kitchen package (plates, forks, etc.). It is Liberty Insurance, and I cannot speak about them highly enough.

Everyone I know in that area knows at least one family that has lost their home.

Amidst all the tragedy there have been some wonderful stories. Kinda restores one's faith in humanity.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
My sister is situated. Insurance gave them 3 places to look at, the chose on, the insurance company went through a list of furniture and she picked what they needed, it will be delivered soon, they also provide a kitchen package (plates, forks, etc.). It is Liberty Insurance, and I cannot speak about them highly enough.

Everyone I know in that area knows at least one family that has lost their home.

Amidst all the tragedy there have been some wonderful stories. Kinda restores one's faith in humanity.

This is good to know, I am glad she has somewhere to live for now.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:40 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I think I read yesterday that there were 11K firemen in NorCal fighting the fires - it's unbelievable, many of them had lost homes too.

Many of them working 80 hour shifts, and just dropping where they could to have naps.

Praying they get the rain predicted.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:

It's so nice to hear this update, Mikala. I'm glad that your sister's family is getting situated.

Our relatives are still down in Southern California staying with family. As I said, they are in their late 80s, and one is battling a life threatening illness, so they are mulling over their options. It is possible that they will not rebuild, but take a smaller settlement and just sell their land. But, it is still early in the process, and they're still in shock, so they may feel differently as things go forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California