Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I said killers, not murderers. Manslaughter, etc.?

What a bunch of psychobabble and twisted "facts" you have provided. How do I know that the person hired is not a rapist since he has not yet raped? You asked, that. No really, you asked that. That is fallacious.
I think it's completely rational to consider giving people a job who have not been in any trouble for several years but it's certainly your right to disagree.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:32 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,731,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think it's completely rational to consider giving people a job who have not been in any trouble for several years but it's certainly your right to disagree.
Considering we’re near full employment and no one is voluntarily going into construction I don’t see your point.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 AM

130,626 posts, read 12,166,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Considering we’re near full employment and no one is voluntarily going into construction I don’t see your point.
Plenty of people want to work in construction. Maybe not in your peer group, but ordinary people look for jobs in the construction industry all the time.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Plenty of people want to work in construction. Maybe not in your peer group, but ordinary people look for jobs in the construction industry all the time.
If this was the case there’d be a building boom but there isn’t: A Construction Worker Shortage Weighs on a Hot U.S. Housing Market

Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,998,906 times
Quote:
If this was the case there’d be a building boom but there isn’t: A Construction Worker Shortage Weighs on a Hot U.S. Housing Market
There's a construction worker shortage because 70% of those guys got pink slips in 2008, and it took years before the economy recovered. Construction by its nature is a boom/bust unstable occupation. So a lot of them transition into other jobs (maintenance jobs, CalTrans, other labor jobs). The economy is heating up so you'll see a lot of young people coming back, at least until the next downturn.

But the reason why this thread premise is silly is because simply injecting a prisoner population into the labor pool doesn't fix anything at all. Most of these guys haven't built a storage shed, let alone a full on house where people have to live inside of it.

How much do you think it would cost to train these guys up?
How would you get prisoners to work as a team when most of these guys ended up in jail because they couldn't get along on the outside, now they're suddenly going to become worker bees building tract homes at peak efficiency?

Why don't you explain that part of the plan?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:18 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,432,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You're asking an entirely new question, expat. All I was pointing out to Perma Bear was that prisoners are already involved in many construction projects and it's not a new thing. AND it's working for everyone. Current inmates are gaining experience while state and charitable organizations are also reaping the benefits. Why U being such a negative nelly? Did someone pee in your cheerios this morning?
Hi, I know the programs exist and have no problem with them as they do help some inmates. I was addressing the reality that it will not really help housing issues in the popular areas as ... there is minimal room and huge costs involved, besides the training or oversight required for prisoners who have never done construction before.

Oh, haven't eaten Cheerios since I was a kid.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:26 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,678,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

I think the issue in the past was with regard to the bolded part. I believe people were being convicted, specifically to use them as cheap labor, which they were farming out at a profit.
Not "were," are, at least since the Nixon era. Nixon's administration is on record as saying they started the "war on drugs," exaggerating the risks of marijuana (perceived as being used mostly by hippies) and crack cocaine (perceived as being used mostly by African Americans -- vs white Americans using powder cocaine), imposing steep fines and prison terms, and then disenfranchising (because felons and, in many states ex-felons, can't vote) them.

A few years later on, the Feds and many states realized they could sweeten the deal even further for their friends by contracting with private corporations to run prisons. SO: you can silence your enemies by incarcerating them, impoverish them with fines and by making them unemployable, keep them from voting, AND make money off them by using convict labor in for-profit prisons.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
There's a construction worker shortage because 70% of those guys got pink slips in 2008, and it took years before the economy recovered. Construction by its nature is a boom/bust unstable occupation. So a lot of them transition into other jobs (maintenance jobs, CalTrans, other labor jobs). The economy is heating up so you'll see a lot of young people coming back, at least until the next downturn.

But the reason why this thread premise is silly is because simply injecting a prisoner population into the labor pool doesn't fix anything at all. Most of these guys haven't built a storage shed, let alone a full on house where people have to live inside of it.

How much do you think it would cost to train these guys up?
How would you get prisoners to work as a team when most of these guys ended up in jail because they couldn't get along on the outside, now they're suddenly going to become worker bees building tract homes at peak efficiency?

Why don't you explain that part of the plan?
Because this’ll also give them job skills and so they won’t have to rely on crime (poverty is one of the main reasons for crime and most prisoners are for nonviolent offenses.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:29 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,998,906 times
Quote:
Because this’ll also give them job skills and so they won’t have to rely on crime (poverty is one of the main reasons for crime and most prisoners are for nonviolent offenses.
How much do you think it would cost to train these guys up? How would you pay for it?

Old 10-26-2017, 03:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,635,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Not "were," are, at least since the Nixon era. Nixon's administration is on record as saying they started the "war on drugs," exaggerating the risks of marijuana (perceived as being used mostly by hippies) and crack cocaine (perceived as being used mostly by African Americans -- vs white Americans using powder cocaine), imposing steep fines and prison terms, and then disenfranchising (because felons and, in many states ex-felons, can't vote) them.

A few years later on, the Feds and many states realized they could sweeten the deal even further for their friends by contracting with private corporations to run prisons. SO: you can silence your enemies by incarcerating them, impoverish them with fines and by making them unemployable, keep them from voting, AND make money off them by using convict labor in for-profit prisons.
Nitpick: there was no such thing as crack cocaine when Nixon was president, and the overwhelming majority of cocaine users when Nixon was president were white. I think you mean heroin or meth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California