Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
There are exceptions to every rule, but they do not set the standards. Idiots is a nice term for those who use it, unless for some definite medical problem. I definitely would not have used Bill Clinton as an example unless you wanted to show how it affects a persons personality for the bad.
Have you ever tried it? It's unusual for someone who has tried to to call people who don't use it idiots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Worse than expat's? Wow ...
MUTT! welcome back xoxo

Old 12-13-2017, 11:48 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Now then, why, exactly, would not the same be true for pot? For some, mega indulgence of vitamin C causes the problems cited by medical research ... and yet, for some it does not. For some, mega indulgence of pot causes ill effects ... and yet for some it does not, eh?

Facts is facts, hoss. 91% of pot smokers suffer no ill effects or interruptions of normal healthy life. For up to 9%, over indulgence results in interferences of healthy living. Get it now?
I will never believe that -- you may as well be recycling those figures from old timey days that stated smoking cigarettes had no ill effects. BTW, was that from a clinical study? If so, which one?

Old 12-14-2017, 12:28 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I will never believe that -- you may as well be recycling those figures from old timey days that stated smoking cigarettes had no ill effects. BTW, was that from a clinical study? If so, which one?
Why am I not surprised that a Trump lover refuses to believe scientific consensus from such sources as the Mayo Clinic?

Here's another great source:

Quote:
Is it possible to overdose on Vitamin C?
Questions on what daily intake of ascorbic acid is considered to be an "overdose" come up on a regular basis.While less informed sources dismiss the possibility of a Vitamin C overdose or toxicity based on ascorbic acidbeing water-soluble, they seem to forget that even water-soluble nutrients interact with other nutritionalelements as synergists or antagonists, and as such are capable of enhancing or inhibiting their benefits andfunctions.Since these interactions are relative to the levels of all the other nutrients Vitamin C interacts with, and sincethese levels vary from one patient to the next, it is not possible to establish a universal Vitamin C overdoseamount, or specific Vitamin C side effects that apply to everyone. At the same time, while the potential toclinically overdose on Vitamin C does exist, it is quite rare and not expected to occur at the 250 to 1,000 mgadult intake level considered average for those that regularly self-supplement.
However, as demonstrated with several examples below, the effect of a regular, daily overdose of Vitamin Cis not an acute event as experienced with a deadly, toxic substance, but a gradual change in mineral ratios,or the progressive lowering of other essential elements, which over time can result in the development ofmoderate to serious medical problems. An acute medical event can still arise though following a substantialVitamin C overdose, where too much ascorbic acid lowers an already deficient nutrient even more, resultingin acute deficiency symptoms of that nutrient, or where an excessive intake of Vitamin C triggers acutegastrointestinal symptoms. (see bottom of this page for Vitamin C overdose signs and symptoms). Vitamin C overdose/deficiency symptoms, benefits, side effects
... goes on at quite some length and depth describing a variety of subtle negative effects of how too much vitamin C, even though water-soluable, can and does interact in a negative dynamic with certain otherwise healthy mineral balances - ultimately having a negative effect.

Knock yo' Trump-self out with that ridiculously excessive vitamin C load you take ... amazing!

Old 12-14-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Why am I not surprised that a Trump lover refuses to believe scientific consensus from such sources as the Mayo Clinic?

Here's another great source:

... goes on at quite some length and depth describing a variety of subtle negative effects of how too much vitamin C, even though water-soluable, can and does interact in a negative dynamic with certain otherwise healthy mineral balances - ultimately having a negative effect.

Knock yo' Trump-self out with that ridiculously excessive vitamin C load you take ... amazing!
Maybe I'm just high energy, so I need the extra vitamin C just like our President, Donald J. Trump. BTW, you didn't answer my question.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:50 AM

510 posts, read 370,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Both are idiots.

A legitimate medical use makes sense. But getting a buzz is just about as intelligent as doing the same thing with alcohol. People who want to use it can't stand the idea they are not being very smart. They may be the most intelligent people in the world, in one area, but not in everything.

Now I do not care if it is legal, except of course when I am driving and some idiot is high on it.
Alcohol kills maybe 88,000 people a year. Cannabis kills 0 whether smoked or vaporized. Cannabis won't kill but alcohol, tobacco, pills and many foods can kill. So why is it that using cannabis is stupid? People do it to feel better, just like with the legal drugs that kill. So it's dumb not to be killed by picking what is safe?

Those studies that claim there are significantly more car crashes from cannabis legalization fail to consider that 16-24 years old males are not only heaviest cannabis users, but they are the heaviest alcohol users as well, and maybe use other drugs. Also they are more likely to take risks, even when sober. These things were pointed out in a 2/15 Fed gov't study as to why the other studies are wrong. This study said that when these other things were considered, cannabis use does not have a statistically significant effect on crashes.

Also, CBD oil from industrial hemp is legal, no high, but helps with many dozens of conditions.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm just high energy, so I need the extra vitamin C ...
Nobody needs that much vitamin C ... the excess is just washed out of your system along with all your other water soluable waste ...
Quote:
... just like our President, Donald J. Trump.
... not my president ... I'm not so gullible as to be sucked in by a sociopathic narcissist lying charlatan suffering from dementia ...
Quote:
BTW, you didn't answer my question.
... knock yourself out (see below)... get back to us when you're done reading ... I'll have another list twice as long for you to read through ... and then another four times longer than that ... toodles.

Quote:
Supporting Research

Afkhami-Ardekani M, Shojaoddiny-Ardekani A. Effect of vitamin C on blood glucose, serum lipids & serum insulin in type 2 diabetes patients. Indian J Med Res. 2007;126(5):471-4.

Antoon AY, Donovan DK. Burn Injuries. In: Behrman RE, Kliegman RM, Jenson HB, eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Philadelphia, Pa: W.B. Saunders Company; 2000:287-294.

Audera C, Patulny RV, Sander BH, Douglas RM. Mega-dose vitamin C in treatment of the common cold: a randomised controlled trial. Med J Aust. 2001;175(7):359-362.

Braun BL, Fowles JB, Solberg L, Kind E, Healey M, Anderson R. Patient beliefs about the characteristics, causes, and care of the common cold: an update. J Fam Pract. 2000;49(2):153-156.

Bruno RM, Daghini E, Ghiadoni L, Sudano I, Rugani I, Varanini M, Passino C, Emdin M, Taddei S. Effect of acute administration of vitamin C on muscle sympathetic activity, cardaic sympathovagal balance, and baroreflex sensitivity in hypertensive patients. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;96(2):302-8.

Canter PH, Wider B, Ernst E. The antioxidant vitamins A, C, E and selenium in the treatment of arthritis: a systematic review of randomized clinical trials. Rheumatology. 2007;46(8):1223-33.

Cook NR, Albert CM, Gaziano JM, Zaharris E, MacFadyen J, Danielson E, Buring JE, Manson JE. A randomized factorial trial of vitamins C and E and beta carotene in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular events in women: results from the Women's Antioxidant Cardiovascular Study. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167(15):1610-8.

Daniel TA, Nawarskas JJ. Vitamin C in the prevention of nitrate tolerance. Ann Pharacother. 2000;34(10):1193-1197.

Douglas RM, Chalker EB, Treacy B. Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000;(2):CD000980.

Dwyer JH, Merz NB, Shirocre AM, et al. Progression of early atherosclerosis and intake of vitamin C and vitamin E from supplements and food. The Los Angeles Atherosclerosis Study. 41st Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention -- Abstract P77. Circulation. 2001;103:1365d.

Gandini S, Merzenich H, Robertson C, Boyle P. Meta-analysis of studies on breast cancer risk and diet: the role of fruit and vegetable consumption and the intake of associated micronutrients. Eur J Cancer. 2000;36:636-646.

Head KA. Natural therapies for ocular disorders, part two: cataracts and glaucoma. Altern Med Rev. 2001;6(2):141-66.

Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, and Carotenoids. Washington, DC: National Academy Of Sciences. 2002. Accessed Sept. 14, 2007.

Juraschek SP, Guallar E, Appel LJ, Miller ER. Effects of vitamin C supplementation on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;95(5):1079-88.

Kaur B, Rowe BH, Ram FS. Vitamin C supplementation for asthma (Cochrane Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001;4:CD000993.

Keligman: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 19th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier. 2011.

Khaw KT, Bingham S, Welch A, et al. Relation between plasma ascorbic acid and mortality in men and women in EPIC-Norfolk prospective study: a prospective population study. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Lancet. 2001;357:657-63.

Kompauer I, Heinrich J, Wolfram G, Linseisen J. Association of carotenoids, tocopherols, and vitamin C in plasma with allergic rhinitis and allergic sensitization in adults. Public Health Nutr. 2006;9:472-9.

Kurowska EM, Spence JD, Jordan J, Wetmore S, Freeman DJ, Piche LA, Serratore P. HDL-cholesterol-raising effect of orange juice in subjects with hypercholesterolemia. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000;72(5):1095-1100.

Laight DW, Carrier MJ, Anggard EE. Antioxidants, diabetes and endothelial dysfunction. Cardiovasc Res. 2000;47:457-464.

Langlois M, Duprez D, Delanghe J, De Buyzere M, Clement DL. Serum vitamin C concentration is low in peripheral arterial disease and is associated with inflammation and severity of atherosclerosis. Circulation. 2001;103(14):1863-1868.

Lonn E. Do antioxidant vitamins protect against atherosclerosis? The proof is still lacking. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;38:1795-8.

Lykkesfeldt J, Christen S, Wallock LM, Chang HH, Jacob RA, Ames BN. Ascorbate is depleted by smoking and repleted by moderate supplementation: a study in male smokers and nonsmokers with matched dietary antioxidant intakes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000;71(2):530-536.

Mares-Perlman JA, Lyle BJ, Klein R, et al. Vitamin supplement use and incident cataracts in a population-based study. Arch Ophthalmol. 2000;118:1556-63.

Masaki H. Role of antioxidants in the skin: anti-aging effects. J Dermatol Sci. 2010 May;58(2):85-90. Epub 2010 Mar 17. Review.

Masaki KH, Losonczy KG, Izmirlian G. Association of vitamin E and C supplement use with cognitive function and dementia in elderly men. Neurology. 2000;54:1265-1272.

National Academy of Sciences. Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs): Recommended Intakes for Individuals, Vitamins. Accessed June 1, 2011.

Nurmatov U, Devereux G, Sheikh A. Nutrients and foods for the primary prevention of asthma and allergy: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011 Mar;127(3):724-33.e1-30. Review.

Ohnishi ST, Ohnishi T, Ogunmola GB. Sickle cell anemia: a potential nutritional approach for a molecular disease. Nutrition. 2000;16:330-8.

Padayatty SJ, Levine M. Reevaluation of ascorbate in cancer treatment: emerging evidence, open minds and serendipity. J Am Coll Nutr. 2000;19(4):423-425.

Ram FS, Rowe BH, Kaur B. Vitamin C supplementation for asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(3):CD000993.

Ravindran RD, Vashist P, Gupta SK, Young IS, Maraini G, Camparini M, Jayanthi R, John N, Fitzpatrick KE, Chakravarthy U, Ravilla TD, Fletcher AE. Inverse association of vitamin C with cataract in older people in India. Ophthalmology. 2011;118(10):1958-1965e2.

Rock CL, Michael CW, Reynolds RK, Ruffin MT. Prevention of cervix cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2000;33(3):169-185.

Shinke T, ****e J, Takaoka H, Hata K, Inoue N, Yoshikawa R, Matsumoto H, Masai H, Watanabe S, Ozawa T, Otake H, Matsumoto D, Hirata K, Yokoyama M. Vitamin C restores the contractile response to dobutamine and improves myocardial efficiency in patients with HF. Amer Heart J. 2007;154(4):645.e1-8.

Takkouche B, Regueira-Mendez C, Garcia-Closas R, Figueiras A, Gestal-Otero JJ. Intake of vitamin C and zinc and risk of common cold: a cohort study. Epidemiology. 2002;13(1):38-44.

Taylor A, Jacques PF, Chylack LT Jr, et al. Long-term intake of vitamins and carotenoids and odds of early age-related cortical and posterior subcapsular lens opacities. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002;75(3):540-549.

Tofler GH, Stec JJ, Stubbe I, Beadle J, Feng D, Lipinska I, Taylor A. The effect of vitamin C supplementation on coagulability and lipid levels in healthy male subjects. Thromb Res. 2000;100(1):35-41.

Wolverton: Comprehensive Dermatologic Drug Therapy, 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier. 2012.

Yokoyama T, Date C, Kokubo Y, Yoshiike N, Matsumura Y, Tanaka H. Serum vitamin C concentration was inversely associated with subsequent 20-year incidence of stroke in a Japanese rural community. The Shibata study. Stroke. 2000;31(10):2287-2294.

You WC, Brown LM, Zhang L, et al. Randomized double-blind factorial trial of three treatments to reduce the prevalence of precancerous gastric lesions. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006;98:974-83.

Zheng SJ, Rautiainen S, Lindblad BE, Morgenstern R, Wolk A. High-dose supplements of viatmins C and E, low-dose multivitamins, and the risk of age-related macular degeneration. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;177(6):548-55.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 AM

By the way, as a postscript to the vitamin C tangent: I'm not deprecating vitamin C or it's various theraputic protocols. Quite the contrary, I'm all in favor ... until the point where science has determined it becomes harmful ... which was the point of how the tangent to marijuana began.

These studies that anti-pot people regularly cite as to the harmful effects of the demon weed - um - ALL base their alarm on a basis of persistent over consumption. Persistent over indulgence of pretty much any and everything can cause adverse effects.

Pot was made illegal only less than 100 years ago, for non-scientific/non-medical reasons: political and sociological fear-mongering. Meanwhile, many more damaging substances have been not only allowed, but aggressively marketed to a result of devastating, ongoing damaging aculturization and adverse health outcomes for nearly everyone.

It's way past time for California to legalize pot once again ... as it was for 10,000 years of prior civilizations.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
... knock yourself out (see below)... get back to us when you're done reading ... I'll have another list twice as long for you to read through ... and then another four times longer than that ... toodles.
I asked about clinical studies that bolster your statements regarding marijuana.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I asked about clinical studies that bolster your statements regarding marijuana.
Which statements would you like clarification on? Happy to oblige ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California