Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 03:29 PM

15 posts, read 30,522 times

Advertisements

I live in the Midwest, so emissions pretty much isn't a thing. What do I need to know? We have a 2007 & a 2012. Any chance that either of them will fail emissions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 03:33 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changing1 View Post
I live in the Midwest, so emissions pretty much isn't a thing. What do I need to know? We have a 2007 & a 2012. Any chance that either of them will fail emissions?

Thanks!
If they are tuned up properly they should pass.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:45 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:

Thanks!
California won't allow a single sensor to not be in the "ready state" for any car with a model year beyond 2002.

Get an ODBCII reader and if it blinks GREEN, you'll be okay.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:45 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:

Thanks!

I work in the car business and deal with reconditioning used cars. Both of your cars will require smog inspections. Assuming they're in good running condition (properly maintained, no check engine light on, no aftermarket performance upgrades that aren't C.A.R.B legal, etc.) you should be able to pass the inspection. A check engine light is an automatic fail. Most cars on the road today will have a check engine light come on when any sort of minor malfunction is detected...especially emission related issues. If your cars are in good running condition with no sorts of warning lights and you haven't done any sort of non-CA smog legal performance modifications, you should be fine.

Last edited by mstnghu2; 03-28-2018 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 03:49 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Yeah, cars as recent as that and in good running condition should be OK. Ditto that there can't be any engine lights etc. on, and I know from experience that if your gas cap is missing, the car will fail! Just common sense stuff.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
California won't allow a single sensor to not be in the "ready state" for any car with a model year beyond 2002.

Get an ODBCII reader and if it blinks GREEN, you'll be okay.

Another good point. Also, make sure you haven't replaced your battery (or had a dead battery) immediately prior to the smog inspection and make sure you drive it for a few miles beforehand so everything is nice and warm. If there are any pending diagnostic trouble codes or any codes that have just been cleared, your cars will have to be driven for awhile (varies based on make/model) to make sure all the diagnostic monitors have been run and there are no "hard" or pending codes...which would usually be indicated by a check engine light to notify you.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:08 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Many check engine light fails are due to intermittent sensor failures, like the CTS or the engine Thermostat. Get a bluetooth OBD sensor and download the TORQUE app and you can clear them yourself beforehand. Drive around for a while to get a sense of how often the sensor fails, then clear it 1/2 that time before you go for your emissions test.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Even a simple thing like a cracked O-ring on the fuel cap can result in a fail...

We have Test Only stations and Stations that can also make minor repairs... most are Test Only.

There are tricks...

Have a friend that lives in Pacific... right on the coast with inland breeze... he swears his marginal car will only pass with a sea breeze... it passes by 1 or 2 ppm... when inland on in a heat wave in Fresno... it didn't.

Don't have much trouble with small Japanese cars in good shape...

Sometimes a Catalytic Convertor replacement will make a car pass that has just missed passing.

As others have mentioned... the big issues with out of state vehicles is they are more apt to have after market tuning or accessories that are not CARB approved.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I have an old 93 Nissan pickup and had to get a new catalytic converter put in it so it would pass in CA, after buying it in OR. Two years later it passed smog again without needing any work. Just barely, but it passed. The smog test guy was surprised it passed. I think using good gas really helps. I only use Chevron with Techron in my little old beast.

For you, worst case scenario is you'll have to spend some money to get things tweaked so it will pass. But, I was also told that if you get it warmed up by driving it for a while before getting it tested helps, and using top tier gas in it helps, too.

I also failed once because of a gas cap. Easy fix. Only bummer is you have to pay for the test again. You can usually find coupons so the test only costs you around $40. For old vehicles like mine, there's a surcharge because they can't just hook it up to a computer. I think mine cost something like $70.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:24 AM

On another note, if there are issues getting the cars to pass smog, it's much harder these days to find a place that would be willing to pass them. In the good ole' days, there were plenty of smog shops out there who'd pass cars with minor violations...for a price.

I'm sure there still are some shady smog shops out there, but not many. The requirements for smog shop owners to become licensed with the state, along with the expensive equipment they have to buy and the possibility of major fines or even jail for performing "kinky" smogs isn't worth the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California