Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 12:19 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol. Actually, I think your idea to have her talk to recruiters in SD, to find out what's available that approximates her current job, in terms of interest/satisfaction, is potentially the most persuasive. It's clear she loves her job. For her, that's top priority, and taking a condo instead of a SFH, comes in a distant 2nd or 3rd on her list of priorities. You're working from a different ranking of priorities. That's the problem. You're trying to convince her by using your terms, instead of her terms. That's not going to work.

Sort of. She doesn't want a condo either. She thinks we can find some 2 bed 1 bath, then magically renovate it into a bigger house (with what money leftover???) and bank on the schools getting better because "rich" people are buying up the houses now. Basically lots of leaps of faith to end up with the same result (decent house, schools) in RWC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 12:30 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Could she find a job at UC San Diego? Being in UTC I think most Biomed Engineering jobs would be concentrated in that area.

Take her on an exploratory trip of SD and show her how nice the area you're looking in is. Hike Torrey Pines or , Scripps Coastal Reserve, explore La Jolla (which is much prettier than any town on the Peninsula imo), etc... Try and sell the more laid back lifestyle in that area and just overall better value.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:37 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Sort of. She doesn't want a condo either. She thinks we can find some 2 bed 1 bath, then magically renovate it into a bigger house (with what money leftover???) and bank on the schools getting better because "rich" people are buying up the houses now. Basically lots of leaps of faith to end up with the same result (decent house, schools) in RWC.
I see. Unrealistic thinking. In that case, try Sav858's idea; take her on a tour of SD, and also have her internet-explore UCSD jobs and biomed-related departments.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-05-2018 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 02:50 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I see. Unrealistic thinking. In that case, try Sav858's idea; take her on a tour of SD, and also have her internet-explore UCSD jobs and biomes-related departments.
This is a good idea. Tour the best places in San Diego and look some nice houses in the best neighborhoods like this one.

Also look at some of the worst neighborhoods in Redwood City. Maybe walk around the neighborhood of this one and get lunch on Middlefield Rd.

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2020 at 02:44 AM..

Old 04-05-2018, 03:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This is a good idea. Tour the best places in San Diego and look some nice houses in the best neighborhoods like this one.

Also look at some of the worst neighborhoods in Redwood City. Maybe walk around the neighborhood of this one and get lunch on Middlefield Rd.
That is insane, paying $1K per square foot to live across the street from industrial properties and by railroad tracks in some average suburbia. And with terrible schools!

For the same $1.3 million you can get a bigger home with much better schools and an ocean view in La Jolla.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...7/home/4923533

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2020 at 02:44 AM..

Old 04-05-2018, 04:03 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
A physical trip to SD is needed here. I did that and it worked very easily, Socal sells itself.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:07 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Maybe she likes her job! Maybe for once she just like her husband say to her I’ll support YOUR decision honey & we’ll do them together. Money is not not important to me. YOU are what is important in my life. Together we’ll eat ramen and live in this hell hole if that’s what it takes.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:47 PM

381 posts, read 344,484 times
San Diego’s biotech industry should provide your wife ample opportunities either at a company, or at an institution like, UCSD, Scripps, Venter, Salk, etc.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
A small home on our RWC street recently went for $400k over asking price. $1.7 million. Even I was shocked.

I am sorry that she is working at Stanford. They really don't seem to care about their people. I know someone there who lives in an RV -- yes, parked along El Camino near Embarcadero with the derelict hulks. Her rig is nice but they won't let her park it on campus anywhere.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:14 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Take a trip to san diego..spend some time at some of the best spots like la jolla and coronado. Bay area has nothing on San Diego. Bay area is nice but waaaay overrated and overpriced compared to san diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California