Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 03:55 PM

1,203 posts, read 837,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
Not GPS, but live traffic on sites like sigalert.com or go511.com will show you the situation on all major streets, and you can get around efficiently. People need to be aware, use the tools available and solve the problem, not just complain and b**** !
Uh those tools weren't available when I lived there. Also, not everyone has the ability to just change their commute time. There are hours of the days when it doesn't matter what you use, you're going to be in traffic. I noticed you ignored just about everything else. How do you propose people living on under $50k a year save for retirement? How are they expected to care for a family? What about health care? I'd love to see some math on these things. Can you supply that? Or do you feel these are things that aren't necessary and that people that ask about this are just bashing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 04:31 PM

276 posts, read 222,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Uh those tools weren't available when I lived there. Also, not everyone has the ability to just change their commute time. There are hours of the days when it doesn't matter what you use, you're going to be in traffic. I noticed you ignored just about everything else. How do you propose people living on under $50k a year save for retirement? How are they expected to care for a family? What about health care? I'd love to see some math on these things. Can you supply that? Or do you feel these are things that aren't necessary and that people that ask about this are just bashing?
I just prefer succinct replies, not rambling on different topics! Your question on how low income people and families "fix" their problem, has little specific relation to CA. You can pick whatever income level define "poverty" in any state, and need to address the same question in the same way. It should be started in another forum topic, not used as fuel to "bash" CA.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I just prefer succinct replies, not rambling on different topics! Your question on how low income people and families "fix" their problem, has little specific relation to CA. You can pick whatever income level define "poverty" in any state, and need to address the same question in the same way. It should be started in another forum topic, not used as fuel to "bash" CA.
OK, that's as about a big of a cop out as you could take. The topic is Californias making below $50k leaving the state. The question is very relevant and you obviously don't have an answer.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:42 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,191,331 times
Quote:
She didn’t ignore bashing everyone in the planet that dosent live in coastal ca. Snobby ca elitism at it’s best.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
She didn’t ignore bashing everyone in the planet that dosent live in coastal ca. Snobby ca elitism at it’s best.
I swear, it's simply ridiculous. The OP brought up a relevant topic. He was not bashing (he's actually a very thoughtful guy and understands the math of what someone has to go through to live here). I've never seen so many hyper-sensitive people in my life. And then you ask a very practical question and they deflect and dodge. Many people relocate. And the haircut they take on salary is usually not so much that they don't benefit from a COL adjustment. I know Dodge moved to Georgia so I'm sure he could chime in on this. Just looking at a COL calculator and looking at median income from where he was at (SF Bay Area) and moving to Atlanta, here's the difference.

The median in Atlanta is $62k. That equates to a family earning $166k in San Francisco (where the median is about $96k). That's about a 33% salary cut to be in an area where your money will go about 2.75 times further. This isn't rocket science. If you're at $50k, then you're making $33K in Atlanta, and it feels like $91k in San Francisco. Obviously a lot more doable.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 06-24-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 04:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,666,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Oh? I moved to LA from Phoenix and in my first apartment there it took me 45 minutes to drive 6 miles to work (mostly freeway). In my last apartment there, about 20 minutes to drive 2 miles (streets only). While I'm not familiar with Florida, I'm familiar with Arizona and Texas, and will gladly take the "overcrowding" in LA compared to whatever the hell you want to call it in those two states; both are like sprawling trailer parks. I felt like Phoenix/Arizona is a place you go to die, when you've given up on trying and just want to throw away the rest of your life in bland, cheap tract housing in an endless sea of super suburb. In my experience, in AZ and TX you'll also hear a lot of asinine justification as to why they need to remind themselves why they settle to live there ("at least I can buy a big house," "it's a dry heat," "this is real America," etc.) As I always say, you can't go to the bowels of America and not expect to be mired in s***.

You got that right, it's 78 here in LA and I have the windows open, it's currently 104 in Phoenix, and that's cool there, the rest of the week 108, 110...no thanks.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
OK, that's as about a big of a cop out as you could take. The topic is Californias making below $50k leaving the state. The question is very relevant and you obviously don't have an answer.
Does anyone have the magic answer? Its a rough issue, and it depends on specific circumstances each family lives under. Any "general solution" would be naive and pointless. But, I can offer some specific examples, that could apply to some people.

Moving away to a less expensive state is the alternative of course, and if you have family or some way to live inexpensively there, save up all you can, wait for the economy to crash like 2009 and jump back in to the CA market at the next bottom.

Or, live out in East Palmdale, commute 1.5 to 2 hours each way, save, save as above.

Some people live "quasi-homeless" in their campers and vans on the various streets, and you could save a lot of money that way too, if enough people in the household worked continuously.

Fix your credit, stay in a job at least 2 years, so once you do save enough $$, or borrow from family or friends, you could possibly get a conventional mortgage.

Keep a close eye on the RE market in the entire area, balance the kind of housing that would fit your needs, commuting distance, with your potential improved financial capacity.

This is not a comprehensive list of solutions, just some realistic answers that may work for some people.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have the magic answer? Its a rough issue, and it depends on specific circumstances each family lives under. Any "general solution" would be naive and pointless. But, I can offer some specific examples, that could apply to some people.

Moving away to a less expensive state is the alternative of course, and if you have family or some way to live inexpensively there, save up all you can, wait for the economy to crash like 2009 and jump back in to the CA market at the next bottom.

Or, live out in East Palmdale, commute 1.5 to 2 hours each way, save, save as above.

Some people live "quasi-homeless" in their campers and vans on the various streets, and you could save a lot of money that way too, if enough people in the household worked continuously.

Fix your credit, stay in a job at least 2 years, so once you do save enough $$, or borrow from family or friends, you could possibly get a conventional mortgage.

Keep a close eye on the RE market in the entire area, balance the kind of housing that would fit your needs, commuting distance, with your potential improved financial capacity.

This is not a comprehensive list of solutions, just some realistic answers that may work for some people.

I've already given you a very practical solution that is very easy for anyone to do (and realistic). It's unrealistic and impractical to think a situation like 2009 is going to happen any time in the near future and I already gave a detailed response on that in another thread.

Quote:
Many of the exotic products that existed in the last recession do not exist any more and the quality of buyer is also substantially better.

The median down payment was more than $50,000 in 12 of the 99 metropolitan statistical areas analyzed in the report, led by San Jose California ($247,000); San Francisco, California ($170,000); Los Angeles, California ($118,000); Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, California ($105,000); and Boulder, Colorado ($99,900).

https://www.attomdata.com/news/mortg...nation-report/

In addition, inflation adjusted prices are still below bubble peak.

Who said anything about credit needing to be fixed? No one is going to be able to save up enough money in a couple of years to save for a down payment on a house. You can look at the RE market all you like, it's not going to make things affordable for someone earning less than $50k a year.

About the only thing that was practical (if doable) in your suggestion was if you have family you could stay with temporarily and live rent free.

I hardly think the van living is ideal for anyone.

You don't need to have a family or some way to live inexpensively in many other states as it's very practical for most families and my previous post (#155) explained why.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 06-24-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:

I've already given you a very practical solution that is very easy for anyone to do (and realistic). It's unrealistic and impractical to think a situation like 2009 is going to happen any time in the near future and I already gave a detailed response on that in another thread.

Quote:
Many of the exotic products that existed in the last recession do not exist any more and the quality of buyer is also substantially better. People with substantial equity in their homes do not just walk away from them.

The median down payment was more than $50,000 in 12 of the 99 metropolitan statistical areas analyzed in the report, led by San Jose California ($247,000); San Francisco, California ($170,000); Los Angeles, California ($118,000); Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, California ($105,000); and Boulder, Colorado ($99,900).

https://www.attomdata.com/news/mortg...nation-report/

In addition, inflation adjusted prices are still below bubble peak.

Who said anything about credit needing to be fixed? No one is going to be able to save up enough money in a couple of years to save for a down payment on a house. You can look at the RE market all you like, it's not going to make things affordable for someone earning less than $50k a year.

About the only thing that was practical (if doable) in your suggestion was if you have family you could stay with temporarily and live rent free.

I hardly think the van living is ideal for anyone.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
It's unrealistic and impractical to think a situation like 2009 is going to happen any time in the near future
On the contrary, with $70 TRILLION in consumer debt, an all-time high, and only a few $Trillion real money on hand by the Fed, it won't take much for a "credit collapse", "bank runs" to happen! Ever heard of fractional reserve banking? Most small and medium size banks are required to keep ZERO percent on hand as cash! History shows economy, markets always move in cycles. Unpredictable cycles, but NOTHING ever goes straight up forever.

If you need instant gratification, to buy a beach house today with $50k, your out of luck, but for those who stay patient, the opportunity will come in the not-too-distant future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California