Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:55 AM

32 posts, read 88,932 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot about California public schools leaving a lot to be desired, though I certainly cannot say I know the first thing about that statement's veracity. I would like to know whether anyone is raising a family in southern California (L.A. area down to San Diego) and has good things to say about their public schools.

I suppose another way to ask that is: If you had a family to move and wanted / were able to move anywhere in southern California, what place, if any, would you pick in terms of public schools?

Thanks for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_MA View Post
I hear a lot about California public schools leaving a lot to be desired, though I certainly cannot say I know the first thing about that statement's veracity. I would like to know whether anyone is raising a family in southern California (L.A. area down to San Diego) and has good things to say about their public schools.

I suppose another way to ask that is: If you had a family to move and wanted / were able to move anywhere in southern California, what place, if any, would you pick in terms of public schools?

Thanks for any comments.
There are good schools all over CA. The issue is the cost-of-living associated with those communities. So it's not a question of if - it's a question of how.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Thanks Sassberto.

So I take it you're saying the quality of public education tends to be directly proportional to the wealth / cost of living of a community - basically like any other place in the U.S.

I've had people tell me that even highly pricey towns can have pretty mediocre schools. Hence my question if that is ever not the case.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:23 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_MA View Post
Thanks Sassberto.

So I take it you're saying the quality of public education tends to be directly proportional to the wealth / cost of living of a community - basically like any other place in the U.S.

I've had people tell me that even highly pricey towns can have pretty mediocre schools. Hence my question if that is ever not the case.
Well LA is a pricey town, but has some of the worst schools and neighborhoods you can imagine. A house in the worst LA neighborhood buys you a mansion in the midwest.

That said it is true that many working-to-middle class areas of California tend to have poor schools compared to other working-to-middle-class areas.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 AM

101 posts, read 581,810 times
Here's one way to gather info on this--google US NEWS and World REPORT, click on Education, then when the page comes up, look for Best High Schools on the left of the page. It is then broken down by states and then counties.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Los Alamitos/Seal Beach/Rossmoor

Cerritos

Cypress

born and raised in the area and Los Alamitos School District is a good academic district with nationally recognized arts and sports programs. my son currently attends elementary school in the district

That is just one place though, there are many with good schools. Good luck

Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Thanks.

I wasn't aware of the US NEWS and World REPORT rankings and they seem to match what bhcompy is saying as well.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
To original poster: Conejo Valley School District, Thousand Oaks.

Below is a link I've posted before. A google map of test score performance (for what it's worth). Not available for all states. Re-center for the towns you are interested in.

School Performance Maps

Old 03-10-2008, 02:48 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
To original poster: Conejo Valley School District, Thousand Oaks.

Below is a link I've posted before. A google map of test score performance (for what it's worth). Not available for all states. Re-center for the towns you are interested in.

School Performance Maps
I second the Conejo Valley School District in Ventura county.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
I So Cal, communities/ cities with that are well known for good schools:
LA to San Diego
Woodland Hills
Westlake Village
Parts of Simi Valley
Thousands Oaks
Most of Santa Clarita
La Crescenta
la Canada Flintridge
Arcadia
Glendora
Diamond Bar
Redondo Beach
Torrance
The Palos Verde peninsula
Cypress
Los Alamitos
Cerritos
Huntington Beach
Yorba Linda
Anaheim Hills
Irvine
All of Orange County south of Irvine, except San Juan Capistrano
Encinitas
Carlsbad
Poway Unified School District
San Diego Union High School District
La Jolla
Coronado

All of the above are expensive areas though so be ready to shell out over $500k at the minimum for a single family home.

Last edited by missionhome; 03-10-2008 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California