Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2006, 08:10 AM

8 posts, read 36,284 times

Advertisements

Hey people,

Ok I'm actually from London. I'm a graduate and work here in Central London as a Web/Graphic Designer.

When I graduated, I applied to some jobs in USA, specifically in Cali - I had some offers from out there but as I just came out of university, decided to stick here for say a year or 2 - get some money and experience then come over.

I had offers in the range of $40-50k which I think is the average for starting graduates right?

I'm on roughly the same over in english terms.

Ok so I really want to move out - I'm young and I really want to experience life before it's too late. I actually worked in Indianapolis for 1 year on my intern year with Marriott. Been to USA nearly every year for holidays as I had a g/f there and also alot of friends and family and I just love it.

Anyways, I want to move to a place near a coast where there are good job openings.

Like I browse Craigslist now and again - and there are **** loads of DEsign jobs, esp. in California region.

I'd really like to check out/experience the Newport/Santa Barbara area - OC area - Mainly because of the coast and also the type of firms that I can imagine deal there - like large event or private event management companies - as I've worked in the event lines.

I had an offer from Santa Ana also which I looked on the map and looked kind of cool.

Bear in mind, I am 22 - so somewhere young and fun - Laguna/Newport

Living expenses roughly for a single guy?
I'm a normal simple guy - Work out in gym/Work - Mainly those two things I do - OF course I love to party but that's only in the night

Was wondering what was your thoughts on this

I love girls with accents - Just had to add that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,442,668 times
So, you want to leave Lon, Engl and move to Cali?

Old 12-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Well I'm considering - I'm well aware of Visa so don't worry about that - I've had some offers as it is now but I think I can get better ones - but I just want peoples ideas/thoughts on this who live in Cali - Pref. people my age or in the web design/graphic designer area

Old 12-13-2006, 03:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,607,680 times
Try to dig out some of the Santa Ana posts in the section above the overall California questions here. Santa Ana is, I believe, predominantly Latino so you would have to be fluent in Spanish to converse with people living there. Check some maps too: Santa Barbara is further north of L.A. county up the coast, Orange County below. Maybe I didn't read your post correctly, no insult intended.

Newport would indeed be fun for you, just make sure your finances are up to up to it. All our coastal areas are pretty expensive, even for a Londoner. And all our traffic is like London at its worst, most hours of the day and night.

Have you any job offers in Santa Monica? I know there's quite a few world-class advert agencies there, perhaps there's opportunities for you. Chiat Day is in nearby West L.A., Saatchi & Saatchi is in Torrance (another beachside area not too far.) S.M. is a safe beachside area in L.A., has many fellow Brits, and you might be tempted to live in L.A. for the nightlife geared towards your age group. Try to google L.A.Weekly and O.C. Weekly to sample what the club scene is like in each place. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:18 PM

Nice post Fastfilm - thnx for the info

****, I don't want to be a place full of Brits - Hate Britis lol - How comes there are so many Brits there? - People who have made their money here in London and gone over there or something?

I havn't had any offers in Santa M., but then I havn't looked into that area but I will know thanks to your info.

I'm going to look up now actually -

But noooo Brits! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California