Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 07:53 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,781,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Thanks for the link to the North Valley group. I donated on their website.
Thank you! It will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 10:16 AM

86 posts, read 148,916 times
We are researching places to retire. We love the Sierras and go camping there every year. We discovered Paradise just on a Google search a few months ago and thought how nice it would be to live so close to the mountains, but with less snow. The first thing I do when checking out a place is come to this forum and get the good, the bad and the ugly from people who live(d) there.

Ultimately there were other factors that went into the decision that Paradise wasn't a good fit, but the tipping point was all the devastating fires, not just in CA but other states. (We were also looking into Grant's Pass, OR, and they had a huge fire in September as well). As much as I love the mountains, I don't think I have the fortitude to live with the risk of losing everything to live there.

I recognize evening sun, Ruth4Truth and other posters from when I was doing my research (evening sun, I'm so glad you got out safely) but one poster, mgforshort, was particularly helpful, and I haven't seen him posting since the fire. I sure hope he's okay. I am thinking about him a lot. What a tragedy, and my heart goes out to the people of Paradise.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:53 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
but one poster, mgforshort, was particularly helpful, and I haven't seen him posting since the fire. I sure hope he's okay. I am thinking about him a lot. What a tragedy, and my heart goes out to the people of Paradise.
Yes, that's the other CD member whose name I couldn't recall. I really hope he's okay. I didn't really expect to to see anyone from that area taking time to post here since getting away from the fire was most important but I'm sincerely hoping he's okay.

Also a thank you, movinon. I will be sharing that link on my facebook page. I have a number of friends who live in Grass Valley and they, in turn, have family in Paradise and Chico. Countless videos of people filming while fleeing the flames. A few driving right through them. So frightening to watch, I can't imagine what it feels like. They're running on pure adrenaline.

When I read of the 260 plus businesses lost, I'm reminded that those same people likely lost their home, too. In one sweep, they have lost everything they own. No more home, no business, ... nothing.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes, that's the other CD member whose name I couldn't recall. I really hope he's okay. I didn't really expect to to see anyone from that area taking time to post here since getting away from the fire was most important but I'm sincerely hoping he's okay.

Also a thank you, movinon. I will be sharing that link on my facebook page. I have a number of friends who live in Grass Valley and they, in turn, have family in Paradise and Chico. Countless videos of people filming while fleeing the flames. A few driving right through them. So frightening to watch, I can't imagine what it feels like. They're running on pure adrenaline.

When I read of the 260 plus businesses lost, I'm reminded that those same people likely lost their home, too. In one sweep, they have lost everything they own. No more home, no business, ... nothing.
Yes, I've been thinking of mgforshort, too. I think there are others but their names escape me.

Thank you for sharing on your Facebook page. I'm not on FB so appreciate the help.

There is a very active thread on my Next Door website regarding donations for fire victims. A lot of people in my area have friends and family who are evacuees and either staying with them or nearby. I'll try to cobble together whatever public donation information I can. Many of the requests are specific to those friends and family so aren't really suitable for a blast to the whole wide world. I do know that a number of our local hotels/extended stays, etc., like Hilton and Marriott, have requested donations of clothes and supplies for evacuees who are staying with them. I'm really pleased with their social conscience.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:28 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Thank you, movinon. I will check out the Next Door site. I'm in the San Joaquin Co area but I also have friends who live in Butte County so I can pass along info to them as well. Anything to help.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Just got off the phone with a neighbor who recently moved to Roseville from Chico. She is gathering clothing and supplies for her local church here which is taking those donations up to Chico tomorrow. So much of this is on a local level. So people might check with their own churches and see if there is any sort of a caravan planned to transport donations.

Off to do a purge of my closets and drawers - you're right - anything to help.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:44 PM

367 posts, read 421,204 times
North Valley Animal Disaster group (https://www.nvadg.org)
is helping animals affected by Camp Fire. They can use donations and volunteers.
A lot of animals had been left behind in Paradise, some locked in kennels, houses, stables.

New map shows fire is over half of Magalia now, getting close to Paradise Lake.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:51 PM

North Valley Animal Disaster Group is fantastic. I posted about them above and one of our posters acknowledged she has made a contribution to them. Thanks for giving them another shout-out.

The horror just goes on and on . . . I can hardly grasp it all.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:01 PM

367 posts, read 421,204 times
I think a few people had been in Chico, while animals were locked at home in Paradise, and they couldn't get back to unlock and take them. Also, cats hide when sense danger and some people weren't able to get their cats, or at least all of them when leaving. I read about one very elderly lady who barely got rescued, all neighbors left and she had no own vehicle, she was eventually noticed and taken by one of the officers in the last moment after she flashed light out of her window in the dark, but her cat had been left behind. I'm hoping people at least left doors unlocked when they were forced to leave in this situation, so that animals had a chance to escape.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:36 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,861 times
I had written a long post, in a motel room, and when I clicked "post" the wi fi died. I wish City Data would work on this, not the first time. you type and all is gone, not like a draft saved from G mail.
I will type it later, we are OK, but for 14 minutes I was thinking, what is better, die by gunshot quickly or die by fire slowly.
I will be back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California