Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 07:33 AM

50,464 posts, read 47,192,013 times

Advertisements

On a road in TX the speed limit is 85 and many others are 80 so obviously travel at such a speed must be safe or States wouldn't allow it. You just got caught that's all. Good luck with ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 AM

17,379 posts, read 22,144,279 times
Hopefully the officer who "saw" you had some type of documentation to prove he can register speeds with his eyes

Old 11-28-2018, 07:56 AM

1,203 posts, read 838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
On a road in TX the speed limit is 85 and many others are 80 so obviously travel at such a speed must be safe or States wouldn't allow it. You just got caught that's all. Good luck with ticket.
Non Sequitur.

Have you ever driven on 99? Most areas of it are extremely unsafe. I used it one time because a friend told me I'd shave off an hour of time. When I got to my destination, I called him and told him the next time I saw him I was going to throw him in a headlock for putting me in that kind of danger.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:30 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,294,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
Valentine 1
does this work for LIDAR?

went to Lake Tahoe during Thanksgiving via I5 and 99 going back and told my companion that he should just go ahead and dont need to wait for me coz i know he has radar detector

could only go 80 (traffic flow ) compared to him who does 90s

Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 PM

987 posts, read 782,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
does this work for LIDAR?

went to Lake Tahoe during Thanksgiving via I5 and 99 going back and told my companion that he should just go ahead and dont need to wait for me coz i know he has radar detector

could only go 80 (traffic flow ) compared to him who does 90s
Google Valentine 1 and ask them because IKD what LIDAR means

Old 11-29-2018, 06:55 AM

77 posts, read 105,532 times
Easiest thing to do to avoid legal consequences is to follow the law. Be prepared to fork over close to 4 figures on that fine.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2thunder View Post
Easiest thing to do to avoid legal consequences is to follow the law. Be prepared to fork over close to 4 figures on that fine.
It would seem to be a very simple solution, but instead we have posters who's first thoughts are to discount the OP's action and the law (i.e. no big deal dude...other roads have speed limits that are faster so it must be safe) or talk about ways to circumvent the law (i.e. next time get a radar detector)

As I read through the comments made by the OP, I can only assume he is young, a bit immature, and seems to be more interested in justifying his actions rather than take personal responsibility for them. Some of the noteworthy quotes....

"If another officer "saw" me going at 100 MPH at the opposite side of a 3-lane traffic highway, wouldn't the radar measurements be completely off?"

No, all that means is the guy across the highway caught you at 100, relayed it to the other guy, and at the point he went after you, you had simply dropped your speed to 88 (the speed the 2nd CHP officer clocked you at). That doesn't mean there's a problem with either radar gun and you were driving recklessly.

"I do not remember my speed, because I was focused on driving"

Part of your focus when driving is to be aware of the speed you're driving at. I'm not sure where you went to driving school, but if you think this isn't a big deal, I can't see how you passed.

"This is allot of money, and it puts a financial strain on me especially near the end of the semester"

What price do you put on a human life? No judge is going to care about the financial strain it puts on you or your schooling. Being a student doesn't give you some holier than thou stature. You should have thought about this when you carelessly broke the law.

"First, I was not intentionally going 100 MPH or trying to race anyone"

Irrelevant

"I was driving it was at 11:45 PM, zero traffic"

So what. People get flats or have other emergencies. At some point along your drive, you could have encountered someone. You were driving at an unsafe speed.

"It's a completely different driving experience (the cabin is very quite vs. the rocket ship like Saturn NVH)"

Doesn't matter. It's still your responsibility to know the speed you're driving.

"Unfortunately, that lead me to getting this ticket"

No, what lead you to getting that ticket was you being irresponsible

"Please keep in mind that I make this same exact commute nearly 7 days a week and police activity in this portion of the freeway is known to be highly activity"

Even more of a reason that you should have been aware of the speed limit

"I drive this road ALLOT, over a span of 3 years with no tickets and having one day of cited, that is a ratio of 1/1095 = 0.0009 or 0.09%"

As stated earlier, 3 years is not a lot. And your use of statistics to try to justify your actions indicates that you simply don't get it. Just because you didn't get caught doesn't mean your weren't speeding at other times. But the most important point is, even if it was just this one time, the numerator in your equation could be a human life. So your attempt to discount it is callous.

And for those of you that are more into encouraging this kid to blow it off as no big deal or encouraging him to circumvent the law, let me say you're doing him no favors. A reality check and some tough love might prevent him from severely injuring himself or others in the future. Sorry that some of you can't see this.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:44 AM

102,242 posts, read 108,146,854 times
OP, if you're so worried about financial issues, I don't understand why you bought a luxury car. If you're in a tight squeeze financially, that might be part of the reason. (Ya think?) It never would have occurred to me at any point in my life to buy a luxury car, especially when I was a student. I never knew any students at any level, graduate or undergrad. who could afford a car at all, with the exception of two, whose car expenses were covered by their parents.

In other states, it's pretty common to mandate traffic school for the first driving offense, and keep the points off the record, but someone said it's different in CA for a reckless driving citation, so you may be stuck. You might be able to ask for a reduced fine. Your financial hardship plea wouldn't work, though, since it would appear you can afford a luxury car. But there may not be any leeway in the law to reduce your fine. All you can do is ask. If you get a chance to explain yourself, you can say you drive the route every day and have never exceeded the speed limit before, but you were getting used to a new car's handling, that day, IOW, you weren't speeding intentionally. But even that doesn't make sense (it might be best to say nothing), because at some point between 70 and 100, you should have noticed you were speeding, well before you reached 100.

Stuff happens, OP. Sometimes you just have to take your lumps, learn a lesson, and move on.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-29-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,340,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post

And for those of you that are more into encouraging this kid to blow it off as no big deal or encouraging him to circumvent the law, let me say you're doing him no favors. A reality check and some tough love might prevent him from severely injuring himself or others in the future. Sorry that some of you can't see this.

What do you think buying a detector is? Speeding and breaking the law is so important to you that you are willing to premeditate it by shelling out a few hundred bucks in order to lower your chances of getting caught.

The argument about "false tickets" is BS. How is a detector going to help you aside from telling you the officer is present? If you were going to get an undeserved ticket, you were going to get it anyway.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
What do you think buying a detector is? Speeding and breaking the law is so important to you that you are willing to premeditate it by shelling out a few hundred bucks in order to lower your chances of getting caught.

The argument about "false tickets" is BS. How is a detector going to help you aside from telling you the officer is present? If you were going to get an undeserved ticket, you were going to get it anyway.
I have no idea what you're talking about (who are you quoting?). You might try re-reading what's been posted. Your comprehension is off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: