Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:00 PM

11,852 posts, read 8,070,074 times

Advertisements

I personally feel some of ya'll are freaking out way too much and making this more than what it really is.

I'm pretty sure 90% of you have all picked up a cell phone while behind the wheel, an offense which has proven statistically to be tenfold more lethal than speeding. If one is tired, especially in higher performance newer cars that dont allow you to feel the road as much ... it's much easier to hit triple digit speeds without realizing it.

For the record as well, while I dont 'condone' it, speeding keeps the mind more focused while behind the wheel where as driving slowly causes the mind to become bored and more prone to day dreaming and / or sleep. For example, Wyoming at one period had no speed limits, their accident rates went UP after employing them.

And and those who think 100 MPH is fast... ya'll need to come to Texas... you ain't seen nothing till you ride I-35. 90 MPH is literally the flow of traffic on that road. Same goes for TX 130

Just sayin.

As for the OP. Just own up to it and move on. Lesson learned and watch what you're doing going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 06:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikido View Post
Hey Everyone,

I recently just got a speeding ticket for doing 100 MPH on a 70 MPH portion of HW-99. When the police officer pulled me over, he was very nice and respectful, let me know that I was seen doing 100 MPH by another police officer (on the opposite side of traffic) and then he himself turned over to pull me over. When he pulled me over, he stated that I was doing 88 MPH. After writing the citation, he told me the following:

1) Since I didn't go above 100 MPH, I wouldn't have to go to court and I can still do traffic school.
2) "They" got me at 100 MPH, but when he pulled me over I was going 88 MPH.
3) I'd be able to pay off the ticket in payments.

Here are my concerns:

1) I just recently got a form that says that my appearance in court is mandatory. This is contradictory to what the officer told me.
2) If another officer "saw" me going at 100 MPH at the opposite side of a 3-lane traffic highway, wouldn't the radar measurements be completely off? I do not remember my speed, because I was focused on driving. But I do remember seeing around 86 MPH when I saw the officer lights turned on a few hundred feet behind me. I also know that radar accuracy is limited to a certain range, not
3) Will I still be able to do traffic school as he said? How about payments? This is allot of money, and it puts a financial strain on me especially near the end of the semester. More importantly, I need to avoid the financial strain that insurance will impose on me if no traffic school is available.

A little about why this happened:

First, I was not intentionally going 100 MPH or trying to race anyone, I was pulled over right next to a CHP weigh station, so no one in their right mind would be doing that at such a location. The car I was driving was a newer luxury car, a recent purchase of mine and an upgrade from a 1999 Saturn SL. It's a completely different driving experience (the cabin is very quite vs. the rocket ship like Saturn NVH), and when I was driving it was at 11:45 PM, zero traffic, windows up (for the first time in a while), music loud to stay awake, and cruise control off. I was going home from my late night study/research at school. I usually drive with cruise control on, but I had it off since I felt a little drowsy and needed to be more engaged in driving. Unfortunately, that lead me to getting this ticket, since with the combination of the reduced NVH compared to the Saturn, louder music, extremely sensitive throttle of the new car, no cars around to visually see my relative speed, and drowsiness, I lost track of my gradually rate of increase increase in speed. I've gone to address this issue by making sure I'm done with work by 10 PM every day, never turning music up to offset drowsiness, being more cautious, and driving my new car more so that I am more in tune with its NVH characteristics at different speeds. Please keep in mind that I make this same exact commute nearly 7 days a week and police activity in this portion of the freeway is known to be highly activity (I see someone pulled over almost every day).

This is my first time being in this situation and I really don't know what to do. Thank you all for your help and support!
Not surprising. I was pulled over by a Cop on an LA Freeway and told I was doing 85 in a 65 zone. He said I will write it for 75. Oops I was driving a car with bad ball joints and I could not even drive 65 MPH. Flat out lied.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:35 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,077,083 times
Well, 86 or 88 would also be speeding so either way, OP is guilty.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Irrelevant. Speed limits are based on the freeways. I drive I-35 every day and sorry, 90 mph is not the flow of traffic. Nor would I ever condone someone committing a reckless driving violation for the reasons you mention (or any reason for that matter). There's a reason it's considered reckless driving.

In addition, if you actually read the entire thread, people weren't actually freaking out. They answered the OP's question and he just continued to argue about it (so clearly he really wasn't interested in getting an answer he didn't like...even though what he was told was correct). That's not exactly people freaking out.
They are freaking out.

I never said I condone it, but i state noone here is any less guilty.

#1 It was only assumed he was traveling at 100 MPH. There is no hard evidence anywhere in the thread proving that he indeed was traveling at said speed. A cop's word is not hard evidence given there is no radar proof. He is asking what he should do and everyone instantly assumed he was driving recklessly yet there is no actual evidence of that anywhere. Yes. Cop pulled him over at 88 MPH. Everyone in this thread has done 88 MPH. I'm sorry but you all have. The only difference is, the OP was pulled over.

#2 I-35 is easy to travel between 85 and 95 MPH. Generally in the center and left lanes I have quite often found myself being tailgated and / or passed while doing 85. Same goes for I-20 or I-635 in DFW.

And #3 ...anyone here (and all of you here) who have partaken in any kind of distracted driving (texting, cellular use of any kind whether it be GPS or making a phone call) have committed an offense that is statistically proven to be over ten times likely to cause a wreck than speeding.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/distracted-driving

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-18-2019 at 06:00 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
No they're not.

How would you know no one is any less guilty or that everyone here has done 88? I don't recall you ever riding in my car to work.

I drive I-35 to work daily. Your comment is BS (not much more I need to say on that). I'll believe my own eyes and not your ridiculous comment. Not to mention, most times of the day it's impossible to go 90 due to the traffic. I don't care if you've seen people driving fast, it is not the flow of traffic.

As for the rest of this nonsense, good luck using any of that in court (you'd be laughed out of court with that defense). Even if it was 88 in a 70, that is considered reckless driving by the rule of law, so I guess that ends that.
I'm sorry but you need to get your speedometer recalibrated, or like the OP - pay closer attention to your own speedometer. I live in Austin and regularly drive between DFW and Austin. I have never used section of highway where the general flow of traffic was going below 80 MPH unless it was either congested due to roadwork near Temple and Waco (which is mostly complete at this point) or was not weather permitting.

And I'm certain everyone has done 88 MPH because lets face it, everyone of you have had moments where you were too preoccupied with your minds and not paying attention to the road or were in a hurry or had to pass someone that was annoying you or you were preoccupied with a cellular device. You are absolutely full of it if you claim to have driven 10 or more years and have never gone above touched anything above 80 MPH. What do you wear a halo over your head everytime you turn the ignition? Dont even try pulling that horse crap.

And 88 MPH is not reckless per California law. For it to be considered reckless you have to EXCEED 100 MPH. 88 MPH is considered SPEEDING per California law.

Quote:

California Vehicle Code§ 23103.5: Wet Reckless or Reckless Driving Involving Alcohol (Priorable as a California DUI)
(a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
(b) Any person who drives any vehicle in any off-street parking facility, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12500, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
(c) Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 23104.
Amended Sec. 19, Ch. 739, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

Reckless Driving: Bodily Injury Vehicle Code 23104
(a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), whenever reckless driving of a vehicle proximately causes bodily injury to any person other than the driver, the person driving the vehicle shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than 30 days nor more than six months or by a fine of not less than two hundred twenty dollars ($220) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment.
(b) Any person convicted of reckless driving which proximately causes great bodily injury, as defined in Section 12022.7 of the Penal Code, to any person other than the driver, who previously has been convicted of a violation of Section 23103, 23104, 23109, 23152, or 23153, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than 30 days nor more than six months or by a fine of not less than two hundred twenty dollars ($220) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by both the fine and imprisonment.
Amended Ch. 216, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.
The Reckless Driving code is 23103. Speeding is 22356.

Quote:

22356 b

Speeding 1-15 mph over 70 mph

$146

22356 b

Speeding 16-25 mph over 70 mph

$266
If any of you have done so much as 1 MPH over the speed limit (California has Absolute Speed Limits, meaning so much a 1 MPH over can get you a ticket) ..you get the exact same ticket as the OP.

And likewise... my argument wasn't ever to defend oneself in court. The OP is guilty...but likewise, noone here is in better shoes. The only difference between you all and the OP is the OP was caught...and you were not.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-18-2019 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 AM

1,203 posts, read 838,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally feel some of ya'll are freaking out way too much and making this more than what it really is.

I'm pretty sure 90% of you have all picked up a cell phone while behind the wheel, an offense which has proven statistically to be tenfold more lethal than speeding. If one is tired, especially in higher performance newer cars that dont allow you to feel the road as much ... it's much easier to hit triple digit speeds without realizing it.

For the record as well, while I dont 'condone' it, speeding keeps the mind more focused while behind the wheel where as driving slowly causes the mind to become bored and more prone to day dreaming and / or sleep. For example, Wyoming at one period had no speed limits, their accident rates went UP after employing them.

And and those who think 100 MPH is fast... ya'll need to come to Texas... you ain't seen nothing till you ride I-35. 90 MPH is literally the flow of traffic on that road. Same goes for TX 130

Just sayin.

As for the OP. Just own up to it and move on. Lesson learned and watch what you're doing going forward.
You might actually try reading the thread (which you clearly did not). Giving a poster advice on what to expect in court is not freaking out. People questioning his buying a luxury car then whining about the cost of a ticket is not freaking out. Seriously, you revived a thread for this nonsense? And then you try to justify it by stupidity like "it makes you more focused"...ROTFLMAO!

It is a driver's responsibility to "realize it" when they are driving triple digits. Stop with the nonsense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
They are freaking out.

I never said I condone it, but i state noone here is any less guilty.

#1 It was only assumed he was traveling at 100 MPH. There is no hard evidence anywhere in the thread proving that he indeed was traveling at said speed. A cop's word is not hard evidence given there is no radar proof. He is asking what he should do and everyone instantly assumed he was driving recklessly yet there is no actual evidence of that anywhere. Yes. Cop pulled him over at 88 MPH. Everyone in this thread has done 88 MPH. I'm sorry but you all have. The only difference is, the OP was pulled over.

#2 I-35 is easy to travel between 85 and 95 MPH. Generally in the center and left lanes I have quite often found myself being tailgated and / or passed while doing 85. Same goes for I-20 or I-635 in DFW.

And #3 ...anyone here (and all of you here) who have partaken in any kind of distracted driving (texting, cellular use of any kind whether it be GPS or making a phone call) have committed an offense that is statistically proven to be over ten times likely to cause a wreck than speeding.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/distracted-driving
It would be very naive indeed to believe a cop's word is not going to carry more weight than the OP's. In addition, you speak of "proof" and than have the audacity to accuse others of doing the same thing without any proof of your own....priceless. Nice dodge and deflect. Let us know when you have some proof of your accusation.

You claimed the flow of traffic was 90 mph on I-35 (then you switch to 80 in your next response...did you think no one noticed that?). I would also disagree with you on the 90mph claim and no, I don't need to have my speedometer fixed. Just because you've been tailgated by a fast car in no way proves your point. You apparently just like to sensationalize but can't back it up with anything.

Your comment about cell phone use is a non sequitur. We're not talking about that.

You might want to look up the meaning of wanton disregard. He most certainly can be cited for reckless driving. Please stop trying to give legal advice. You have no idea what you're talking about (but you clearly like to argue).

Last edited by JJonesIII; 02-19-2019 at 12:52 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 05:49 AM

Oh, and you forgot to mention exactly where it says you would need to EXCEED 100 MPH (figured I'd go all caps on it like you did) to get that reckless driving ticket. And then by your own admission, you claim the OP was ticketed for 88 and yet he would get the same ticket as someone going 1 mile over the speed limit. And yet you cite two different ticket values for those speeds (on for 1-15 mph over the speed limit and another for 16-25 mph over the speed limit). Not exactly the same ticket.

Brilliant!

Old 02-19-2019, 06:22 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,778,008 times
We need go back to a national speed limit. Set it at 60mph. All street legal autos would be governed at 65, meaning you can hold your foot to the floor all day and that's as fast as you'll ever go unless you get momentum going down hill. This is how many big trucks are set up. If you're ever wondering why they don't just speed up when passing, now you know.
Maybe we can incorporate some brake or engine technology to keep it down in those downhill circumstances.
Want to get there faster? That's what plane tickets are for.
The average person in this country doesn't have the driving skills, automotive equipment, or the attention span necessary to go above 60-65.
Don't get me started on the condition of our highways. Those alone would be enough to keep speeds down in a normal, sane world.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
We need go back to a national speed limit. Set it at 60mph. All street legal autos would be governed at 65, meaning you can hold your foot to the floor all day and that's as fast as you'll ever go unless you get momentum going down hill. This is how many big trucks are set up. If you're ever wondering why they don't just speed up when passing, now you know.
Maybe we can incorporate some brake or engine technology to keep it down in those downhill circumstances.
Want to get there faster? That's what plane tickets are for.
The average person in this country doesn't have the driving skills, automotive equipment, or the attention span necessary to go above 60-65.
Don't get me started on the condition of our highways. Those alone would be enough to keep speeds down in a normal, sane world.
I'm inclined to be with you on this one. Now let's cue all the personal freedoms people with you can't take away my rights....blah, blah, blah.

It's amazing to me that anyone would try to in some way brush aside this BS with comments implying it's not hard to get up to speeds like these in a luxury car and not know it. Seriously, what the hell does that have to do with anything?! If you're going to drive a vehicle (any vehicle!), you are responsible for driving it safely. For some of the clueless posters on here that can't seem to figure this out, people have one life. And no one wants it to be taken out, or have a loved one taken out for this nonsense (oh dear, I must be freaking out to make such a logical comment). There should be zero tolerance for things like this and sorry, but two wrongs don't make a right. And it's stupid to try and imply because other things are bad that it makes things like this alright.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,111,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikido View Post
It seems like there was quite a bit of miscommunication here.

1) I don't come to forums asking for sympathy. There are plenty of people around me who can be sympathetic in this situation, but I still don't go to them for 'sympathy'. That is petty, and sympathy won't solve my problems, rather it'll result in them being repeated. Besides, do you really think the internet is a great place for sympathy?

2) In plenty of occasions, advice I've gotten from this thread and outside of it has been in constant conflict. If my questions seemed redundant, it may have been because I'm still trying to figure out and understand the situation based on varying feedback.

3) I'm not trying to avoid court. If you pay attention to what I'm saying, my worry is the discrepancy between what the police officer told me and the events that followed. That is it, I'm perfectly fine with showing up to court. I just don't want to show up not knowing what I'm doing or being uninformed. That is why I came here.

Anyhow, regardless of your perception of me, thank you for taking the time to communicate to me the situation and your observations. That I really do appreciate.
any chance that the highway signs were similar looking and you thought the you were on Hwy 70 and the speed limit was 99?

Try switching to that explanation if you sense the falling asleep excuse is not being well received as you explain it to the judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: