Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:28 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I agree with you. Sacramento is definitely its own thing, a good thing and its a fun town.

It's biggest critics are the "snobs" from LA, SF and the coast. They have this special disdain for Sacramento based on old and outdated stereotypes that were always exaggerated and often just plain false. Folks from outside of California are likely the least critical of Sacramento and the most positive about it.
Just to be clear, Chimérique, I live in California as well....Anaheim, in fact, which is what drew me to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 03:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
It's funny because it's such a difficult choice between amazing Sacramento and Anaheim. It seems like Sacramento is a much bigger city than Anaheim and it feels so much more "real" than Disneyland. Call me crazy but Sacramento seems so much more urbane and hip. Thing is, Anaheim seems to have a few other draws in its immediate vicinity. Hmmm.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:07 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
first sacto versus irvine, then sacto versus anaheim, then sacto versus bako

hmmm seems sacto residents want validation that their city is great

Old 01-16-2019, 12:51 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
first sacto versus irvine, then sacto versus anaheim, then sacto versus bako

hmmm seems sacto residents want validation that their city is great
But the thing is most of these folks creating "Sacramento versus..name that City" threads are NOT from Sacramento.

It's combination of folks generally interested in Sacramento and folks who are simply obsessed with Sacramento because they want to hate it....for some reason.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I remember the 1980's show, Eight is Enough. Always thought that was cool as it told the story of a family with 8 kids that was based on a family from Sacramento. My parents had 8 kids as well. They used to say that 8 was enough. Another family that was close to us had a California Plate that read 8ISENUF. Well, if you looked at the plate you could tell that is what they meant. Later when they were having kid #9 they changed the plate to IS8ENUF

I have only been to Sacramento to visit the area and the river. My wifes nephew and his girlfriend went to Sacramento State and they love it up there. They plan on buying a home in Sacramento in the next couple of years. My wife and I have thought about moving to lower cost areas and I would consider moving there.

We do love the Orange County area. I would never live in Aneheim although I do like to visit. Although with Disney raising prices again and our kids getting older I doubt I will be visiting Disney as much anymore. I also hold a grudge that the Angels have been calling themselves the Los Angeles Angeles when they are not in Los Angeles. We have the Dodgers and don't need a team from another county stealing the city's name.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:56 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It's funny because it's such a difficult choice between amazing Sacramento and Anaheim. It seems like Sacramento is a much bigger city than Anaheim and it feels so much more "real" than Disneyland. Call me crazy but Sacramento seems so much more urbane and hip. Thing is, Anaheim seems to have a few other draws in its immediate vicinity. Hmmm.
I think Orange County is the most underrated county in California. Orange County is lampooned as staid cookie cutter suburbia when it actually has a flourishing, world class arts scene, two professional sports teams, and a burgeoning tech, biomedical, and financial industry in Irvine. Not to mention the great diversity, from the world's largest Vietnamese community outside Vietnam, to the Chinese population in Irvine, and the majority Hispanic city of Santa Ana. And I haven't even touched base on the literally dozens of miles of biking and hiking trails in Irvine alone, which makes Irvine extremely walkable.

Hey, just because a city is well planned, safe, and clean like Irvine doesn't mean it can't be exciting. Tokyo and Singapore are very clean and safe and well planned. Does that make them boring?

Last edited by MrJester; 01-17-2019 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-17-2019, 04:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Comparing Sacramento to Anaheim is sort of like comparing apples to pineapples.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
"Floating on rafts/kayaks down the American is a favorite past time right in the Heart of the Sacramento Metro. Definitely a unique Sacramento experience you can't do in any other California City. "

Well, floating down "the American River", maybe. Floating down A river thru a downtown - completely wrong. OF COURSE there are other California cities where you can do that!

Old 01-17-2019, 06:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Aniaheim is part of greater LA. Sacramento is not. Unless Disneyland is your reason for living, Sacramento is the clear winner.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:23 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
"Floating on rafts/kayaks down the American is a favorite past time right in the Heart of the Sacramento Metro. Definitely a unique Sacramento experience you can't do in any other California City. "

Well, floating down "the American River", maybe. Floating down A river thru a downtown - completely wrong. OF COURSE there are other California cities where you can do that!
There is no large river flowing through a large California urban area that can give you as nice of a river raft experience as the American River parkway. It is a unique urban experience. Try it some time and you will know what I mean.

Ya know I'm from San Diego and I lived on the Coast in LA, spent plenty of time on surf boards on ocean waves in both SoCal and NorCal (and Hawaii). I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-18-2019 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California