Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:00 AM

19,337 posts, read 16,875,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Even Jerry is worried about Ca future. I heard this interview on the radio and he sounded very concerned about the dem super majority here. He said every state needs checks and balances. I heard he doesn't like Newsome at all. If a crazy lib like him is worried we should all be terrified.

Ps he still wants the train
You're right. He's stated numerous times in the past year that he's concerned about a one-party control in the state. I actually believe Brown is a moderate, not as liberal as Newsom. That does worry me. Maybe it wouldn't if I actually liked Newsom but I don't. Newsom says he'll carry on with the plans for a bullet train but it would be scaled back a little .... whatever the hell that means. Political double speak to appease those against it, I guess.

True, Brown is not a fan of Newsom. Some years ago, Newsom made some comments about California that rubbed Brown the wrong way and it caused a bit of a dust up. One thing is Newsom isn't coming into a state with a horrible deficit like Brown had when he came back in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 11:16 AM

21,853 posts, read 16,557,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You're right. He's stated numerous times in the past year that he's concerned about a one-party control in the state. I actually believe Brown is a moderate, not as liberal as Newsom. That does worry me. Maybe it wouldn't if I actually liked Newsom but I don't. Newsom says he'll carry on with the plans for a bullet train but it would be scaled back a little .... whatever the hell that means. Political double speak to appease those against it, I guess.

True, Brown is not a fan of Newsom. Some years ago, Newsom made some comments about California that rubbed Brown the wrong way and it caused a bit of a dust up. One thing is Newsom isn't coming into a state with a horrible deficit like Brown had when he came back in 2011.
Maybe a mono-rail (one track instead of two) ... like riding scooters instead of go carts ...

Old 12-22-2018, 11:51 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,922,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetka_grunya View Post
Nearly 70% of the state's projected revenue of about $135 billion next fiscal year is derived from personal income taxes, according to the governor's office.

what happens when democrats run out of other people money? raise even more taxes?

https://www.hoover.org/research/cali...st-food-budget
In other news CA added 159k new residents in 2018 despite this "mass exodus" we hear of...

Old 12-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

I hope dems are able to fiscally responsible with the super majority. Although, how many states have Republican supermajorities i.e. Mississippi, and have had them for decades? Atleast CA could actually elect a republican something that's next to impossible in some southern states.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:28 PM

102,384 posts, read 108,693,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetka_grunya View Post
Nearly 70% of the state's projected revenue of about $135 billion next fiscal year is derived from personal income taxes, according to the governor's office.

what happens when democrats run out of other people money? raise even more taxes?

https://www.hoover.org/research/cali...st-food-budget
Well, they can't raise corporate taxes any more, can they? How does that compare with other states, btw?

Old 12-22-2018, 12:45 PM

30,926 posts, read 37,126,689 times
DAN WALTERS: Did Brown fix California’s budget mess? Nope

Although he has been relatively tight on the spending side of the ledger — relative, that is, to the Legislature’s Democratic majority — Brown has nevertheless raised overall spending by 50 percent in seven years for benefits that will be very difficult to reduce if recession strikes.......

Brown is proud of persuading voters to create the “rainy-day fund” and has not only filled it to the legal limit but created a few other reserve funds, all meant to cushion the impact of a future recession — one he says California is overdue to suffer, based on historic economic trends.

All told, the state now has, or soon will have, about $16 billion in such reserves, and it’s certainly better than nothing.

However, Brown’s own budget staff calculates that even a moderate recession would cost the state $60 billion in declining revenues over three years, so the reserves would cover only about a quarter of such a shortfall.

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/dan...1e433909f.html

Old 12-22-2018, 12:47 PM

8,492 posts, read 3,042,451 times
Maybe some of the $30B can fill some potholes or repair some of the 405 offroad fwy. Or purchase a few tents for the homeless. Or tend to illegals. Maybe Ca. should tax those attemtpting to leave Ca.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Maybe some of the $30B can fill some potholes or repair some of the 405 offroad fwy. Or purchase a few tents for the homeless. Or tend to illegals. Maybe Ca. should tax those attemtpting to leave Ca.
As the poster above stated the money is in a "rainy day fund" that can only be used in emergency situations i.e. Recessions, and Natural Disasters. OTOH when Brown took office we didn't even have this!

Old 12-22-2018, 01:43 PM

19,337 posts, read 16,875,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Maybe a mono-rail (one track instead of two) ... like riding scooters instead of go carts ...
Or ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I hope dems are able to fiscally responsible with the super majority. Although, how many states have Republican supermajorities i.e. Mississippi, and have had them for decades? Atleast CA could actually elect a republican something that's next to impossible in some southern states.
Fiscally responsible democrats. I'll have to ponder that one. Never saw the those three words used together.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,894,948 times
I give credit to whoever deserves it...Before Jerry Brown came into office,California was in a huge deficit that not even former Governor Schwarzenegger could get rid of it.

Jerry Brown will be leaving office with a surplus for California....Thank You Governor Brown for all your work and effort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California