Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:52 AM

317 posts, read 479,332 times

Advertisements

(Mods, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong forum section.)

I'm flying from Colorado to Sacramento on Friday to buy a car to drive back to central Colorado this weekend. Sure enough, a nasty storm system is moving through and it looks like Donner Pass is going to be a mess on Saturday morning when I was planning on heading back via I-80, which is obviously the shortest and most direct route home for me. I'm no stranger to winter driving on mountain passes, but the car I'm purchasing would be absolutely terrible in conditions like they're calling for and I'm hesitant to buy chains for it because I don't want to tear it up after I just bought it.

It's looking like my only 'safe' choice, barring a drastic change in the forecast before Saturday, will be to drive all the way down to Bakersfield and take 58 out to Barstow where I can link up with either I-15 or I-40 for the rest of the trip.

I've never been anywhere in California outside of San Francisco or LA, so I'm consulting with you folks to see if there are any alternate routes that might be faster or more practical than this. I have to be back at work in Colorado on Monday morning, so sitting out the storm isn't an option for me.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 01:48 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,910,504 times
I would just wait until Saturday to check conditions chances are it'll be good to drive through.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I would just wait until Saturday to check conditions chances are it'll be good to drive through.
Thanks, I'm certainly holding out hope for that and won't commit to any travel plans until that morning. Just trying to have a solid backup plan in place.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:21 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,299,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
(Mods, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong forum section.)

I'm flying from Colorado to Sacramento on Friday to buy a car to drive back to central Colorado this weekend. Sure enough, a nasty storm system is moving through and it looks like Donner Pass is going to be a mess on Saturday morning when I was planning on heading back via I-80, which is obviously the shortest and most direct route home for me. I'm no stranger to winter driving on mountain passes, but the car I'm purchasing would be absolutely terrible in conditions like they're calling for and I'm hesitant to buy chains for it because I don't want to tear it up after I just bought it.

It's looking like my only 'safe' choice, barring a drastic change in the forecast before Saturday, will be to drive all the way down to Bakersfield and take 58 out to Barstow where I can link up with either I-15 or I-40 for the rest of the trip.

I've never been anywhere in California outside of San Francisco or LA, so I'm consulting with you folks to see if there are any alternate routes that might be faster or more practical than this. I have to be back at work in Colorado on Monday morning, so sitting out the storm isn't an option for me.

Thanks in advance!
is it cheaper to buy in CA than in CO?

Old 01-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
is it cheaper to buy in CA than in CO?
It certainly seems to be for hybrid and electric vehicles, especially used ones in good shape. The car I'm purchasing would be close to 2x as expensive here in CO.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:44 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,776,530 times
Unfortunately, the window for good weather over Donner Pass in I-80 is Sunday. I have been following closely since I'm driving from the Reno area to So. Cal. on Sunday.

If the car has four wheel drive/AWD, you might get by with snow tires. But still I wouldn't be without chains this coming weekend.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:35 PM

19,263 posts, read 16,780,659 times
Just in case ... after you pick up the car, stop by a place and pick up a set of chains, water, blanket, and anything else you might need, should you get stuck. Oh and make sure you have a valid credit card you can use to book a room, if needed. Think of it as an adventure. The best kind where you don't know what's going to happen but at least you're a little prepared. Have fun and good luck!

Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanks, friends! Appreciate the input. It'll be an adventure, no doubt about it.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks, friends! Appreciate the input. It'll be an adventure, no doubt about it.
Sounds fun, I'm jealous!

Old 01-31-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
It certainly seems to be for hybrid and electric vehicles, especially used ones in good shape. The car I'm purchasing would be close to 2x as expensive here in CO.
Yeah, hybrid and EVs are huge in California especially in the Bay area. Half of all EVs are sold in California Nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California