Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:32 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Quit trolling Montclair....aren't you a Bay Area native? If so, you shouldn't have to ask.

If you have to ask what LA has to offer you've been living under a rock.....
Why do we jump to say someone is trolling because they ask questions? That's not fair and is off topic.

I asked a question because we've been constantly told of how much more there is to do in LA based on it's 469 sq miles but as of yet no one has really specified. But Im the "troll"?

The point is, it's moronic to act as if SFs 46 sq miles means that there is nothing to do once you leave the city limits-on the contrary, there is a ton to do in all directions.

On the flip side, no 46 sq mile area in LA even comes close to matching SF as far as things to see and do. Not. Even. Close.

Oh and SF isnt standing still either:

The west coast's premier downtown just keeps growing and growing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:10 PM

3,475 posts, read 5,274,572 times
Quote:
Orange County is beautiful? Hmmm...yes the coast is nice. But unless you count Main Street inside Disneyland there is hardly a charming node of urbanity in the entire county!

These arguments about the "flatness" of LA are just laughable. Los Angeles is the only major city in the United States bisected by a mountain range and a total of four mountain ranges extend into city boundaries.
I agree with you, which is why I referenced natural or Scenic Beauty, not Urban Beauty. The cities in Orange County are Dullsville. But the natural scenery is extremely varied, the beaches are the most beautiful in Southern California, and there are mountains and Hills everywhere.

Yes, the mountains surrounding Los Angeles are nice, but unfortunately, they're on the perimeter of the region. The basin is vast and flat. I prefer the patchwork of Hills and Valleys that you find in most other Coastal Metro areas in California. Different Strokes for different folks.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:33 PM

55 posts, read 53,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The west coast's premier downtown just keeps growing and growing...
In your dreams.

DTLA will always be the West Coast’s premier hub. Oh and by the way, the 5 mile radius that encompasses Koreatown, Pico Union, Mac Arthur Park, Mid City, and Mircle Mile is the densest in the entire United States outside of Manhattan. Yes even denser than San Francisco.

A8EEF9EE-D5D4-4BF7-A797-A36DD514241F by maximalist p, on Flickr

ADE9BB2C-8BAA-468F-8860-8A6090BE6B77 by maximalist p, on Flickr

F20769D3-E3CA-4352-8A76-B7EE3A66A640 by maximalist p, on Flickr

F2475100-879A-4C97-8262-C897630A3009 by maximalist p, on Flickr

Old 03-20-2019, 12:28 AM

36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
In your dreams.
Im clearly not the one dreaming. lol

Quote:
DTLA will always be the West Coast’s premier hub.
DTLA isnt even LA's "hub". Nice try tho.

Youd have to uproot the amenities of Beverly Hills and most significant parts of the westside and plop them down in DTLA for DTLA to even come close to SF.

San Francisco's core offers everything one would expect from the west coast's premier downtown.

It's not even a question. Sorry.

Quote:
Oh and by the way, the 5 mile radius that encompasses Koreatown, Pico Union, Mac Arthur Park, Mid City, and Mircle Mile is the densest in the entire United States outside of Manhattan. Yes even denser than San Francisco.
Yes and that "5-mile radius" would need to be 5-Miraculous Miles indeed to rival San Francisco as far as amenities, attractions and desirability. #as #if

Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,903,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I agree with you, which is why I referenced natural or Scenic Beauty, not Urban Beauty. The cities in Orange County are Dullsville. But the natural scenery is extremely varied, the beaches are the most beautiful in Southern California, and there are mountains and Hills everywhere.

Yes, the mountains surrounding Los Angeles are nice, but unfortunately, they're on the perimeter of the region. The basin is vast and flat. I prefer the patchwork of Hills and Valleys that you find in most other Coastal Metro areas in California. Different Strokes for different folks.
Exactly. Thats why the Santa Monica Mtns/Hollywood Hills is one my favorite places in LA. You can't beat those views, And being so close to nature is an absolute plus.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,027,549 times
Quote:

In LA you have the largest Persian/Iranian population outside of Tehran and the largest Armenian diaspora outside of Russia.
Yep, I was going to mention this but you beat me to it. Also, LA has the largest Korean population outside of Seoul (or some crazy stat like that). So touting SF's larger Asian population by percentage doesn't tell the whole diversity story. A large majority of SF's Asian population is Chinese from what I have seen/heard. Whereas LA has Korean & Chinese in large numbers, and of course down in OC there is the largest Vietnamese population concentration probably in America (just guessing).

Japanese population is a toss up, not really sure whether LA's or SF's is higher.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:18 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,421,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Like what exactly? No one is being specific about LAs 469 sq miles.

It would be very easy to expanded SF to 469 sq miles and compare sights.

Ocean and beaches, Mountains, Valleys and then the number of amenities like restaurants, bars, cafe's of all kinds is huge. Then The Zoos, Griffith Park, Hollywood, and well the list is very long. SF is a great city for things to do and see as well, but very crowded in a small area, which is not bad from a transportation view, but the over all variety exceeds SF.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:28 AM

10,356 posts, read 8,588,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Ocean and beaches, Mountains, Valleys and then the number of amenities like restaurants, bars, cafe's of all kinds is huge. Then The Zoos, Griffith Park, Hollywood, and well the list is very long. SF is a great city for things to do and see as well, but very crowded in a small area, which is not bad from a transportation view, but the over all variety exceeds SF.
But if you expand it to the 469 miles then I don’t think San Francisco gives up anything to la. You now get to include the east bay or peninsula.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Interesting discussion. I'm an LA supporter now since im based in SoCal and typically like it better than NoCal. But was born and raised in the Bay. If im honest, SF area has dominated LA area in terms of job growth and economy in general. LA is still cool as hell and has better weather
Needs to grow the tech industry more. Silicon beach is great and all but the housing prices are as bad or worse than most of the bay area.
While the bay areas economy has been growing at an astonishing rate. LA isn't a slouch either the LA metro still has a $1.176 Trillion dollar economy that's the third largest in the WORLD right behind Tokyo and NYC. Technically just LA County by itself is the third largest city economy in the world. It's also been growing rapidly as well not to mention that figure only comes from two counties.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
But if you expand it to the 469 miles then I don’t think San Francisco gives up anything to la. You now get to include the east bay or peninsula.
Sorry, but adding the east Bay still doesn't compare. SF is awesome though I wish y'all the best. I just think LA is in another league. The more people you have the more options you have keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California