Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times

Advertisements

I mean everyone is different, obviously...

If it were my trip, I'd spend no more than two nights in Yosemite (too crowded these days), an extra night in Cambria, forget SF (save for a separate trip), two nights in Monterey, skip Palm Springs (will be very warm in June), 3 nights in SD area. Arrange your itinerary so that your last night is spent near LAX (Redondo and Manhattan Beach are fun areas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 02:16 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
One overall comment first: note that we get a lot of "June Gloom" that time of year so the coast can often be shrouded in fog. Many days the marine layer won't even burn off. So that otherwise gorgeous drive up the coast might not be so great.

I assume with three kids you are spending 3 nights in Orange County for Disneyland?

Not sure I'd pick Palm Springs for 3 nights with kids age 4 to 7. I just don't think there are a ton of kids activities in P.S. In recent years, Palm Springs has been known for "gays and grays" as far as the key demographics it serves. There are a few things to do that might appeal to kids: Joshua Tree National Park, tram ride up Mt. San Jacinto and the Children's discovery center.

Don't know if you have spent time in Los Angeles before but since you are leaving from LAX, there are lots of kid and non-kid oriented things to do in Los Angeles. Yes, it can be a bit of a beast of a city for tourists but worth considering with this list of kid activities in LA:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...alifornia.html
On the way to Cambria, stop in the Danish community of Solvang. That would be a nice way to break up your drive.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:46 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times
I'm about to book our 3 nights in Palm springs. Found what i think is a great deal at the JW Marriott Resort......3 nights including taxes, resort fee and parking for $586. Problem is that it's non refundable. so....am i sure i want to stay in palm Springs or should i play it safe and just go back to OC for our last 3 days in cali? (First 3 days of our trip is in OC before we go to SF and Yosemite)

Final thoughts?

Old 04-26-2019, 10:01 PM

Anyone?

Old 04-27-2019, 03:09 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
It's up to you! Personally I would stick with Palm Springs because it's so different from everywhere else you are going.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's up to you! Personally I would stick with Palm Springs because it's so different from everywhere else you are going.
Thanks. Booked it last night .... couldn't wait. The JW marriott seems like an awesome resort...

My one concern now is leaving the campsite near general sherman tree and heading to palm Springs may consume all of my day. The maps are all over the place with their estimates. anywhere from 6 to 10 hrs of driving ....

Old 05-03-2019, 12:08 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Thanks. Booked it last night .... couldn't wait. The JW marriott seems like an awesome resort...

My one concern now is leaving the campsite near general sherman tree and heading to palm Springs may consume all of my day. The maps are all over the place with their estimates. anywhere from 6 to 10 hrs of driving ....
It will take a good chunk of the day especially if you do any stops along the way, which is likely with kids. However, get an early start and you should make it to Palm Desert (where the JW Marriott resort is located) by mid afternoon.

The easiest route, although not necessarily the most scenic, will probably be to go through Visalia to the 99 to the 5 to the 10 east to Palm Springs. That will put you on major freeways most of the way and should take about six hours, give or take, depending on traffic and how many bathroom breaks your family needs.

Don't stress, just go with the flow and enjoy the time with your family!

Here's a good article on things to do with kids in the Palm Springs area:
Things to Do in Palm Springs with Kids

(P.S. don't forget to allow plenty of time to get to LAX from Palm Springs. Depending on the day of the week and time of day, I'd plan on at least 2.5 hours just to be safe, more during peak traffic hours.)

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-03-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California