Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 05:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
If you had to pick another city in California to live in, where would that be? It can be any city, suburb or town.
If I were to move back and this isn't going to happen I think I would start by looking in a somewhat rural area near Sac. There was a time when it would have been Paradise, but of course that would not be the case today. Of course the choice would also have to be based on my housing budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 08:10 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yep, my wife grew up in SD with lots of family still there, though some have moved out without plans of returning.

The biggest problems we see are the same things including unsustainable growth, extreme overcrowding and no limits in sights. I remember the days when folks moved from LA or SF to a more laid back, less impacted region. That was decades ago and no longer reflects current day SD. Instead, it has become yet another highly over impacted region. Traffic is snarled up for miles and miles during rush hour and beyond. The beaches are over crowded with more pollution and COL is astronomical in even in the outer fringe areas like east county and north county. Those areas used to represent more affordable areas but now have become gentrified.

Derek
It’s all relative. Folks still move from LA and SF to San Diego for a more laid back life. In comparison to those two places San Diego still cheaper housing prices and way less traffic too. San Diego has changed a lot since I was a kid, but so has LA and SF. Nothing stays the same.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
It’s all relative. Folks still move from LA and SF to San Diego for a more laid back life. In comparison to those two places San Diego still cheaper housing prices and way less traffic too. San Diego has changed a lot since I was a kid, but so has LA and SF. Nothing stays the same.
Agreed, sure SD has some of the same issues facing LA and SF but they are generally not nearly as bad and I don't ever see them getting as bad either. SD is more limited in its capacity for growth than both LA and SF which continue to spread into the high desert and Central Valley.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,060,171 times
Quote:
The fact is San Diego is the 5th most densely populated county in the nation with over 3.3 million residents and growing and 2nd most populated in the state.

well hold on, because this harkens back to the San Fernando Valley's failed attempt to secede from Los Angeles.
If the San Fernando Valley was its own city, its population would be larger than San Diego.

Much love to SFV and SaDeezy, as I have called both of them home at different times in my life.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,060,171 times
back to the thread topic,
if money was no object and you're giving me a free housing voucher for equivalent to the style I've become accustomed to,

I chose Malibu Colony.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:40 AM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I agree at least in that its all relative. After growing up in SoCal and spending the majority of my life there, 4 decades (guess I'm old now), its all changed for the worse from my experience. This includes LA, OC and SD. During those 4 decades, SD has seen the some of the most drastic changes in terms of crowding and infrastructure problems because of it. But yes, they've all grown and too much for many natives from the area. In some ways its probably a better place to live in for those who've never experienced what it was. Its just a warm, beachy place with lots of people.

That isn't to say its still not a great place for some, just not for everyone for some very valid reasons. Otherwise, we'd still be there along with many others who have left or are planning on leaving. And that's actually a good thing because more people are flooding than are leaving. Whereas with LA things seem to level out more in terms of population expansion. SD still has room to grow and east county is still experiencing a lot of that growth.

Derek

Old 02-13-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I agree at least in that its all relative. After growing up in SoCal and spending the majority of my life there, 4 decades (guess I'm old now), its all changed for the worse from my experience. This includes LA, OC and SD. During those 4 decades, SD has seen the some of the most drastic changes in terms of crowding and infrastructure problems because of it. But yes, they've all grown and too much for many natives from the area. In some ways its probably a better place to live in for those who've never experienced what it was. Its just a warm, beachy place with lots of people.

That isn't to say its still not a great place for some, just not for everyone for some very valid reasons. Otherwise, we'd still be there along with many others who have left or are planning on leaving. And that's actually a good thing because more people are flooding than are leaving. Whereas with LA things seem to level out more in terms of population expansion. SD still has room to grow and east county is still experiencing a lot of that growth.

Derek
Not really, they're just moving to the IE.

FOR POPULATION, L.A. COUNTY'S LOSS IS THE INLAND EMPIRE'S GAIN

I don't really see a lot of growth in East County either. Santee? El Cajon? What major developments are they seeing?

Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not really, they're just moving to the IE.

FOR POPULATION, L.A. COUNTY'S LOSS IS THE INLAND EMPIRE'S GAIN

I don't really see a lot of growth in East County either. Santee? El Cajon? What major developments are they seeing?
IE is a different county. The comparison being made was between the largest county in the state and SD. All SoCal counties have people looking for more affordable options. LA is basically maxed out in terms of expansion with no where affordable to go east. Its all gentrified in places like Pasadena and Chino Hills which is right on the boarder. IE just happens to be on the cheaper side of things relatively speaking.

East County San Diego has been expanding for years and prices have been rising accordingly. There are a quite a few areas seeing this growth with higher prices including Vista, Escondido, Poway, the hills to east of El Cajon and so on. I know people who have built out there, recently. They wanted to stay in San Diego County and the land was cheaper. They also have a higher tolerance for the sweltering summer heat and the stagnant, dry air in East County.

Derek

Old 02-13-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
IE is a different county. The comparison being made was between the largest county in the state and SD. All SoCal counties have people looking for more affordable options. LA is basically maxed out in terms of expansion with no where affordable to go east. Its all gentrified in places like Pasadena and Chino Hills which is right on the boarder. IE just happens to be on the cheaper side of things relatively speaking.

East County San Diego has been expanding for years and prices have been rising accordingly. There are a quite a few areas seeing this growth with higher prices including Vista, Escondido, Poway, the hills to east of El Cajon and so on. I know people who have built out there, recently. They wanted to stay in San Diego County and the land was cheaper. They also have a higher tolerance for the sweltering summer heat and the stagnant, dry air in East County.

Derek
Kind of an odd comparison since metro areas typically span multiple counties, SD being one of the few that is just a single county. The "LA" metro area typically includes about 5 counties.

Vista and Escondido aren't East County but yeah that 76 corridor has generally been where most new SFH subdivisons have been going up. El Cajon has barely grown over the last decade.

IMO SD has generally done a much better job at protecting undeveloped land than LA with the Multiple Species Conservation Program so the sprawl isn't as bad.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,390 times
I would live in Malibu or WeHo again , I know WeHo is sort of a neighborhood but still .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California