Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 07:50 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
Found a good old thread on this forum about Loma Linda longevity, it's a Blue Zone of unusually long-lived people, the only one in North America.
People there tend to be ovo-lacto-vegetarians or just plain vegetarians, and no coincidence that those two famous 90-year old ladies (a marathoner and a mountain climber a that age, who started late in life) I mentioned in another thread were associated with Loma Linda University and also were lifetime ovo-lacto-vegetarians.

Don't listen to the uneducated, who eat crap, promote "red meat" and end up with diseases because of that.
I doubt they know what "amino" is or have even a basic Chemistry or Biology college-level course behind them and can't tell vegetarian from vegan.
Interesting tangent off-topic. A favorite subject as it relates to the anthropological history of our species.

The bottom line, scientifically speaking, appears quite clearly to be that there isn’t much to support ideologically-based diets that specialize one way or another (i.e. Paleo-meat-eating vs vegetarian / vegan). Homo sapiens are omnivore opportunists - with considerable capacity to thrive with or without much, or even any, meat if necessary.

Quite an excellent (though long) article from Scientific American addresses this reality, if anyone is deeply interested: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...l-vegetarians/
Quote:
what do other living primates eat, the ones with guts mostly like ours, eat? The diets of nearly all monkeys and apes (except the leaf-eaters) are composed of fruits, nuts, leaves, insects, and sometimes the odd snack of a bird or a lizard (see more about chimpanzees). Most primates have the capacity for eating sugary fruit, the capacity for eating leaves and the capacity for eating meat. But meat is a rare treat, if eaten at all. Sure, chimpanzees sometimes kill and devour a baby monkey, but the proportion of the diet of the average chimpanzee composed of meat is small. And chimps eat more mammal meat than any of the other apes or any of the monkeys. The majority of the food consumed by primates today--and every indication is for the last thirty million years--is vegetable, not animal. Plants are what our apey and even earlier ancestors ate; they were our paleo diet for most of the last thirty million years during which our bodies, and our guts in particular, were evolving. In other words, there is very little evidence that our guts are terribly special and the job of a generalist primate gut is primarily to eat pieces of plants. We have special immune systems, special brains, even special hands, but our guts are ordinary and for tens of millions of years those ordinary guts have tended to be filled with fruit, leaves, and the occasional delicacy of a raw hummingbird4.
Another interesting book on the same topic is discussed in an article from NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/20...or-meat-eating

Quote:
Humans Are 'Meathooked' But Not Designed For Meat-Eating
... I encounter claims that humans were designed to eat meat — that it's in our genes, that we have teeth made for eating meat, that we need meat to get all the right nutrients — all the time in casual conversation and in media in stronger and weaker versions.

In Meathooked: The History and Science of Our 2.5-Million-Year Obsession with Meat, science writer Marta Zaraska does a great job of exposing these claims as myths.

Vegetarian animals ranging from gorillas to water deer, she reports, have bigger, sharper canines than we do; our canines aren't specially meant for processing meat. What we lack dentally is more important, in fact, than what we have. Gently open a (calm) dog's jaw, and there at the back will be the carnassial teeth, "blade-like and sharp and perfect for slicing meat." Lions and tigers, racoons and house cats — all carnivores — have them too. We don't.

All the high-quality amino acid proteins we require are readily available in plants, Zaraska says, listing soy, buckwheat, quinoa and potatoes as examples.

Neal Barnard of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine even notes that when people switch from meat-eating to plant-eating, their intake of vitamins and other nutrients improves.

True, vitamin B-12 is an exception: It's found only in meat, eggs and dairy. Vegetarians, then, still do fine (because of the eggs and dairy); vegans need to eat foods fortified with B-12 or take a supplement.

Meat isn't necessary to keep us healthy.

Zaraska wrote Meathooked primarily to discover why humans across the world crave meat. Factors of biology, including certain genetic predispositions and culture, ranging from family habits and cultural traditions to the sexual politics of meat as explained by Carol J. Adams, all play a role, she says.

I think the meat-myth-busting, too, is a central contribution of the book — and I'd like to take it even further.
That all said, I’m a dedicated meat-eater / lover. And unapologetic about it. Healthy as the day is long. Take no medications. Have perfect blood pressure and labs at every check up. Doctors who see me are extremely complimentary about my condition at my age - often remarking I am healthier than most even very much younger.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:54 AM

460 posts, read 232,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Interesting tangent off-topic. A favorite subject as it relates to the anthropological history of our species.
It's probably not even tangent off-topic since coronavirus tends to have severe consequences for those with various conditions that stem from unhealthy eating habits. Those who don't do it right with carbs (eating a lot of simple, processed carbs, especially wheat) included, of course, not just meat consumption that is a culprit. Unfortunately, many are uneducated (thanks to the disinterested government, in part) on what healthy consumption of carbs and fats is, and when they try to cut on their meat intake (and 99% of the meats are going to be unhealthy and factory-farmed, not to even mention red meat is linked to numerous diseases), they end up doing it wrong by consuming bad quality carbs and fats in unhealthy way, to make up for lost caloric intake from fat in meat.
When I ate meat, I focused on lamb, venison, elk, duck and bison. Farmed duck meat is very unhealthy, though, due to barbaric (and cruel) farming practices.
People confuse vegetarianis with vegans, for some reason. Vegetarians often eat eggs, cheese and other animal products.
There's big overconsumption of protein in America (and it is really reflected in public health and even appearance of people), there's this whole misconception of needing a lot more protein than what science says one needs, including even performance athletes.

Last edited by landlock; 05-01-2020 at 08:11 AM..

Old 05-01-2020, 08:01 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Regarding the blood test, there is no way I am forking out $129 to find out if I had it. Pretty soon, the t4est swill be free or at least much cheaper, & there is no advantage in knowing, as I have read, if you have had it, people can become reinfected with covid, so the antibodies do not mean you are immune.

am not a vegetarian, but I do know some, those who follow a healthy diet, including eggs & cheese for proteins,seem very healthy to me. It is the ones who concentrate on filling up on carbs, like bread, rice or pasta that do not seem to be healthy. I don't care what others eat, it is their choice.

Hoping my lake opens soon.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:03 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Enough of the vegetarian crap. You’re going off topic.
Started a few pages back by someone who posted about deer. Maybe h/she could start a "I'm bored so let's talk about what I eat for dinner" thread.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
It's probably not even tangent off-topic since coronavirus tends to have severe consequences for those with various conditions that stem from unhealthy eating habits. Those who don't do it right with carbs (eating a lot of simple carbs) included, of course, not just meat consumption that is a culprit. Unfortunately, many are uneducated (thanks to the disinterested government, in part) on what's healthy consumption of carbs and fats is, and when they try to cut on their meat intake (and 99% of the meats are going to be unhealthy and factory-farmed, not to even mention red meat is linked to numerous diseases), they end up doing it wrong by consuming bad quality carbs and fats in unhealthy way, to make up for lost caloric intake from fat in meat.
Well, now here you have hit on a different clue as to why peoples’ diets are typically unhealthy. It’s not that meats (or carbs) are unhealthy in essence. It’s the quality (or lack of quality) that makes the difference. Science is very clear on consumption of refined sugars, especially ... but also too much of any sugars, even fruits. Also, refined carbs ... and, obviously, chemically contrived additives. These things are about modern processing and appealing to addictive cravings ... over-eating ... etc. in this you are pointing to, frankly, poisoning our systems.

But that’s not the same as the issue of meat / vegetarian diet value. We are, very distinctly, flexible omnivores.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:06 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
How are we feeling about coronavirus testing for everyone in California?

Old 05-01-2020, 08:09 AM

I agree this has gone way off topic, in spite of healthy diet contributing to healthy immune systems to fight any disease. It relates. But not endlessly. And yes, it was a couple comic-relief intermission-type posts about deer / road kill between me and AngryTaxPayer that seemed to fuel the fire. I’m out again now

Old 05-01-2020, 08:18 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
That all said, I’m a dedicated meat-eater / lover. And unapologetic about it. Healthy as the day is long. Take no medications. Have perfect blood pressure and labs at every check up. Doctors who see me are extremely complimentary about my condition at my age - often remarking I am healthier than most even very much younger.
Do you see the same doctors as Trump, Mutt?

Old 05-01-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Do you see the same doctors as Trump, Mutt?
Lol. Nope. Get my annual checkups at local Tri-care and VA facilities ... President Bone-Spurs isn’t eligible

Old 05-01-2020, 08:53 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
There’s nothing better than a bloody rare steak.

Nothing.
Medium is perfect. Or medium-rare. But sometimes they bring it out far closer to rare than medium-rare.

For me Tri-tip is where it is at over steak too. I've been craving Tri-tip for about a week now. I think I'll throw one on the grill this weekend if I can find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California