Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 03:21 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m actually stunned. I thought the military families would know better. Check the store hours before you go. Many are changing their hours to cut off the panic buying. I read some Walmart’s that were open 24 hours aren’t anymore. Vons may have changed too.
Exactly.

Even dog biscuits.

Mind blown. At my age thought I’d seen everything.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Well, it makes sense to keep six feet away from my wife on a walk when we live together.

Can’t be too careful Mike. Who knows where she’s been while you were upstairs for the last 15 minutes ....

Old 03-16-2020, 03:25 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
alas. Yes. If it weren’t for certain “few screen names relentlessly” fact-checking so many posters’ nonsense, we could all read endless fictional garbage unrestricted ... and wouldn’t that be an improvement!

After all, why should fact-checkers be the last ones standing and not the fiction writers?

Well ok, but who's fact-checking the fact-checker?

And who's fact-checking the fact-checker who's checking the fact-checker?
And who's......................................Oh dear, nevermind.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:25 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Can’t be too careful Mike. Who knows where she’s been while you were upstairs for the last 15 minutes ....
Right!!! I’ve said that even before this all started...

Old 03-16-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Well ok, but who's fact-checking the fact-checker?

And who's fact-checking the fact-checker who's checking the fact-checker?
And who's......................................Oh dear, nevermind.
That’s what you are here for dear. Backup for the backup.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:51 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Thanks! I will. I have emergency food and water, but didn’t think about all the paper products. I’ll have to slowly stock this up as well as rice and beans, etc.

Even OTC pain meds need to be stored away. You can’t find some of those now.
That's the best thing to do. If you see something in the store you don't necessary need at the moment and it has a long shelf life, buy it. Store it away. It doesn't take long to build a supply. Write the date in big black ink so you'll use the older products before the newer ones. Rotate stock. Old in the front, new in the back.

Beans and rice could last several years if you put them in air-tight containers. If you like cooking with herbs, plant a small group of them in a planter. Fresh herbs? So much tastier than dried.

If you're thinking of getting rid of old towels or sheets, cut them up to make rags, wash clothes and, yes, even something to wipe your behind, if needed. I know it sounds extreme but without a way of telling how long this hoarding frenzy will last, it's better to use critical thinking skills and get creative. I use a lot of items for things other than what they are intended. Been that way most of my life. I've been using cloth napkins for decades. Can't remember the last time I actually bought a pack of napkins.

Cleaning supplies. Distilled white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide. Diluted, they are two of the best items you can use to clean and disinfect your home. Counters, sinks, tubs. Add a little vinegar or peroxide to your dishwasher (if you have one) and it will kill any mold that builds up in the seals around the door. Amazing stuff and a lot cheaper than name brand products.

Dilute shampoo and liquid soap so you aren't using as much. You'd be surprised how long it will last and it still lathers the same.

Essential oils can help reduce headache pain. Rosemary (my favorite), peppermint or eucalyptus, and lavendar are all oils people use for headache pain. Use them in a diffuser or a few drops on a cotton ball and inhaled through the nose. Very relaxing, too.

The nice thing about being this age is that our generation learned from the people before us and those people lived through a time when many had next to nothing.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:06 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's the best thing to do. If you see something in the store you don't necessary need at the moment and it has a long shelf life, buy it. Store it away. It doesn't take long to build a supply.
NO, NO, NO.

Hoarding behavior is BAD.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:20 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Most of this is already happening in some places. It’s in effect until April 7th.
Not in greater L.A. This is going to take some getting used to.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:22 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
If you're thinking of getting rid of old towels or sheets, cut them up to make rags, wash clothes and, yes, even something to wipe your behind, if needed. I know it sounds extreme but without a way of telling how long this hoarding frenzy will last, it's better to use critical thinking skills and get creative.
LOL, Mars; that's funny.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:40 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
That's the best thing to do. If you see something in the store you don't necessary need at the moment and it has a long shelf life, buy it. Store it away. It doesn't take long to build a supply. Write the date in big black ink so you'll use the older products before the newer ones. Rotate stock. Old in the front, new in the back.

Beans and rice could last several years if you put them in air-tight containers. If you like cooking with herbs, plant a small group of them in a planter. Fresh herbs? So much tastier than dried.

If you're thinking of getting rid of old towels or sheets, cut them up to make rags, wash clothes and, yes, even something to wipe your behind, if needed. I know it sounds extreme but without a way of telling how long this hoarding frenzy will last, it's better to use critical thinking skills and get creative. I use a lot of items for things other than what they are intended. Been that way most of my life. I've been using cloth napkins for decades. Can't remember the last time I actually bought a pack of napkins.

Cleaning supplies. Distilled white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide. Diluted, they are two of the best items you can use to clean and disinfect your home. Counters, sinks, tubs. Add a little vinegar or peroxide to your dishwasher (if you have one) and it will kill any mold that builds up in the seals around the door. Amazing stuff and a lot cheaper than name brand products.

Dilute shampoo and liquid soap so you aren't using as much. You'd be surprised how long it will last and it still lathers the same.

Essential oils can help reduce headache pain. Rosemary (my favorite), peppermint or eucalyptus, and lavendar are all oils people use for headache pain. Use them in a diffuser or a few drops on a cotton ball and inhaled through the nose. Very relaxing, too.

The nice thing about being this age is that our generation learned from the people before us and those people lived through a time when many had next to nothing.
That’s a lot of good info! Can’t rep you, but thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California