Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 05:29 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sorry I didn't see that you said reports of child abuse and I didn't say child abuse went down, did I? I'm sure people who've lost jobs or had their hours cut, or can't pay their rent are upset and depressed, but there is nothing magical about 'reopening everything' that will solve those problems, that's all I'm saying. We will return to normalcy when people feel safe.
No but you said there is no clear evidence of unreported child abuse. As if you need some sort of definitive evidence of it going unreported to believe it.

Reopening some more certainly would help mitigate a lot of those problems. Job loss is only one aspect of this mental health crisis too. The stress of working from home and having to home school is one me and my wife personally deal with. There is a lot out there on this, not sure why you choose to ignore it.

I can’t imagine going through this in my 20’s.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I don't disagree that these issues are coming up. But, I don't get the logic in opening up now with few or no restrictions and lack of enforcement of mask wearing / social distancing. All that this is doing is prolonging the misery. The case count is not going down (its actually increasing in most states and will likely do so in CA soon as well). This is causing more community spread and you're just adding fuel to the fire by opening up without precautions.

You can knock Newsom all you want but he's got the right idea in waiting for case counts to drop and then opening gradually, with the potential dimmer switch as an option. If I were to knock him for anything it was that he pandered to pressure to reopen too quickly, which caused our spikes this summer, along with not being strict enough in enforcing mask wearing and social distancing.
I never suggested opening up with few or no restrictions or doing away with mask wearing/social distancing. Not sure why you automatically go to the other extreme.

His approach is better now but the criteria is still too strict. The “equity measure” thing is such BS pandering too. And it’s not just him either, I’m really irritated with the reluctance of many school districts against reopening in person learning for younger children.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:36 PM

A Dose of Optimism, as the Pandemic Rages On

Old 10-12-2020, 05:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No but you said there is no clear evidence of unreported child abuse. As if you need some sort of definitive evidence of it going unreported to believe it.

Reopening some more certainly would help mitigate a lot of those problems. Job loss is only one aspect of this mental health crisis too. The stress of working from home and having to home school is one me and my wife personally deal with. There is a lot out there on this, not sure why you choose to ignore it.

I can’t imagine going through this in my 20’s.
I'm not ignoring anything but I'm not deluding myself with fantasies of how everything will be hunky dory if we just lift all the restrictions. In order to reopen schools teachers need to feel safe or they won't return to the classroom, and before kids can return to school the parents have to believe their kids are safe.

As far as child abuse, what do you think happens every summer when kids aren't in school, and what happens to home schooled kids? Of course teachers report suspected abuse but I can't see that as a reason to force schools to open before it's safe for the teachers and the kids.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not ignoring anything but I'm not deluding myself with fantasies of how everything will be hunky dory if we just lift all the restrictions. In order to reopen schools teachers need to feel safe or they won't return to the classroom, and before kids can return to school the parents have to believe their kids are safe.

As far as child abuse, what do you think happens every summer when kids aren't in school, and what happens to home schooled kids? Of course teachers report suspected abuse but I can't see that as a reason to force schools to open before it's safe for the teachers and the kids.
Kind it seems like you are with not trying to understand how people could possibly be depressed or suicidal from all of this. Lifting some restrictions or focusing on targeted ones could certainly mitigate some of these issues. Not sure why it has to be some sort of all or nothing.

What about it? You think people are saving their abuse for the summer or something? It’s one of many reasons to reopen schools.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:15 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I never suggested opening up with few or no restrictions or doing away with mask wearing/social distancing. Not sure why you automatically go to the other extreme.

His approach is better now but the criteria is still too strict. The “equity measure” thing is such BS pandering too. And it’s not just him either, I’m really irritated with the reluctance of many school districts against reopening in person learning for younger children.
You've been complaining about the number of restrictions we have here. I get that you're frustrated that your personal freedom is being taken away and that you see businesses suffer. But, tell me what is the viable alternative?

I guess some red states are trying the herd immunity route, but this is likely to have a very bad outcome (it already is) and I worry what will happen over the wintertime.

Honestly, if 90% of people would actually wear masks religiously when around others and practice social distancing, we really could get the cases under control and it would only take 6-8 weeks for us to get to the point where it would be safe to reopen everything. Its just unfortunate that not enough people are willing to sacrifice a little now, when their actions are causing us to all sacrifice more for a prolonged period of time.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:18 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
You've been complaining about the number of restrictions we have here. I get that you're frustrated that your personal freedom is being taken away and that you see businesses suffer. But, tell me what is the viable alternative?

I guess some red states are trying the herd immunity route, but this is likely to have a very bad outcome (it already is) and I worry what will happen over the wintertime.

Honestly, if 90% of people would actually wear masks religiously when around others and practice social distancing, we really could get the cases under control and it would only take 6-8 weeks for us to get to the point where it would be safe to reopen everything. Its just unfortunate that not enough people are willing to sacrifice a little now, when their actions are causing us to all sacrifice more for a prolonged period of time.

We refuse to give up our freedom for short term security. I was at Glendale Americana over the weekend and probably saw 25-30% of all people wearing mask.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:22 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
We refuse to give up our freedom for short term security. I was at Glendale Americana over the weekend and probably saw 25-30% of all people wearing mask.
And you just proved my point as to why COVID restrictions aren't going away anytime soon.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:29 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
And you just proved my point as to why COVID restrictions aren't going away anytime soon.

They do not need to go away. Soon it will be Covid restrictions on paper only.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:

I just said I think the criteria is too strict. Not just for cases but also what is allowed to open and how much.

Well here in the Bay Area people are pretty good about masks and we are still under some of the nation's tightest restrictions probably. Places like Alameda and Santa Clara Counties still don't allow some places to reopen when they move into a lower tier. It's ridiculous and unnecessary. Stop doing dumb, nonsensical crap like closing beaches during a heatwave. CA has some of the tightest restrictions this entire time in the nation and we are kind of middle of the pack when it comes to case rates.

Part of your and others problem it appears is you only look at this through partisan eyes. Your red state comment pretty much exemplifies that. It's like we HAVE to do the opposite of what "red states" do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California