Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 02:19 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Again, you didn't read carefully. But what better things do they have to do now, and what choice do they have?

One thing police could do, with almost no risk of court challenge, is break up street parties. That includes parties that extend onto sidewalks, which are public property. Newsom today called mixed-household gatherings "one dominant area of concern" - he needs to back up words with action. I'd basically perp-walk some of them, easy enough if there are daytime parties. Detain everyone if there is some crime (e.g., marijuana being served in large quantities) and then make examples of those responsible.
Ok, I’m going to take a guess here. Is this really Gavin on CD?

Old 07-08-2020, 02:26 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Just heard from TV: in Los Angeles (arguably the epicenter), compliance is way up in restaurants. One of the only areas that needs improvement is private gatherings. I think LAPD has a cyber division. It should be checking social media for events being organized and interrupt online or in person. LA is much better equipped to party-poop than most other California counties. A soft de facto curfew (like nightly parking for residents only) would help, because many parties are at night, maybe a ton of them going on, and police have less staff at least some nights; it's time to be harsh to discourage spread of COVID-19.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-08-2020 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 02:29 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
Just heard from TV: in Los Angeles (arguably the epicenter), compliance is way up in restaurants. One of the only areas that needs improvement is private gatherings. I think LAPD has a cyber division. It should be checking social media for events being organized and interrupt online or in person. LA is much better equipped to party-poop than most other California counties.
because i announce getting together with friend and family using public post. I didn't post a single invite using social media for my party last weekend. I am betting that is true for most people as well.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:20 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,902 times
The most new cases since the pandemic began...and I'm still waiting for 14 days of declining numbers?!

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...n-a-single-day

Old 07-08-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
because i announce getting together with friend and family using public post. I didn't post a single invite using social media for my party last weekend. I am betting that is true for most people as well.
Every little bit helps. The worst parties charge money and are open to whoever pays; they advertise online.

I think parking restrictions is the best method that doesn't automatically involve the police. That includes having residential buildings with parking garages block off most guest spots.

Also, property owners should be able to fine renters who hold full-fledged gatherings.

Death to parties by a thousand cuts.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:32 PM

Hang-outs were LA Mayor Garcetti's opening focus in his news briefing this evening.

He mentioned pool parties. I earlier had the thought that California should ban sales of large inflatable pools.

He's threatening rollbacks and other consequences if individuals don't behave. Newsom, who has more guts, should make the same points. Betting pool on when one of them announces enforcement related specifically to private gatherings or stay-at-home comes first?

"A test is not a passport to party."

What about a curfew on all juveniles? I don't think it's unusual for high-school students to be socializing at night and a curfew would have young adults pulled over just in case, which would make going out less fun. Having police watching the roads more closely for bad driving (young people being the worst drivers) also would curtail some party-going.

Nevertheless, the government doesn't stop this. If anyone stops this soon, it's the public.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-08-2020 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 06:45 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
Hang-outs were LA Mayor Garcetti's opening focus in his news briefing this evening.

He mentioned pool parties. I earlier had the thought that California should ban sales of large inflatable pools.

He's threatening rollbacks and other consequences if individuals don't behave. Newsom, who has more guts, should make the same points. Betting pool on when one of them announces enforcement related specifically to private gatherings or stay-at-home comes first?

What about a curfew on all juveniles? I don't think it's unusual for high-school students to be socializing at night and a curfew would have young adults pulled over just in case, which would make going out less fun. Having police watching the roads more closely for bad driving (young people being the worst drivers) also would curtail some party-going.

Nevertheless, the government doesn't stop this. If anyone stops this soon, it's the public.
You’re howling at the moon.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:11 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:

You might want to read up on curfew and 1st amendment

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment...e/1206/curfews

Last edited by looker009; 07-08-2020 at 08:04 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 01:13 AM

"Nazi" coming from a likely Libertarian doesn't count for much and makes you look bad. There are limits on freedom in the real world, even in private. A selection of my ideas would work, some people know that. Inaction is what doesn't work. The virus is spreading so much that waiting for a mediocre vaccine wouldn't return life close to normal and most people's quality of life will consequentially be stymied. The faster the population accepts that, the more it will cooperate with aggressive measures; otherwise, they won't work well enough, too much bad behavior to police. Society needs to widely agree that just going to a large party during the pandemic makes someone a jerk and deserving of punishment.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
More and more COVID-19 is looking like it would have been comparable to a bad flu season in terms of deaths
Or not.

The state recorded its highest single-day coronavirus death toll Wednesday, with 149 fatalities reported, according to a Los Angeles Times county-by-county tally. That eclipsed the previous highest daily death toll, 132, recorded May 19, according to The Times’ California coronavirus tracker.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...nues-to-worsen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California