Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 10:39 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Nope, it got an option but not the app. Unless you turn on the Bluetooth and install the app it will not work.
That’s what they want you to think. The last upgrade already installed it.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:42 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
That’s what they want you to think. The last upgrade already installed it.
Again no, at least not on android phone.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:53 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
Just copy what Asian countries are doing, each county can have their own "green passport", your status can become yellow or red depends when your phone detected that you came into contact with positive cases.

Unless something changed from when I first read about this, the risk of contact false positives hadn't been worked out very well. For instance, if you're idling in your car with the windows up at a stop light, next to a covid19 infected person doing the same. Does the app somehow figure that out? Or for someone living in an apartment, whose neighbor is covid19 positive, and whose only "contact" is through stucco or drywall.

Even if the tech is already being used surreptitiously without voluntarily downloading the app, I would question how good the data is. From what I've heard, voluntary compliance is places like South Korea where it's successful, were much higher than what we've seen in the U.S.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Unless something changed from when I first read about this, the risk of contact false positives hadn't been worked out very well. For instance, if you're idling in your car with the windows up at a stop light, next to a covid19 infected person doing the same. Does the app somehow figure that out? Or for someone living in an apartment, whose neighbor is covid19 positive, and whose only "contact" is through stucco or drywall.

Even if the tech is already being used surreptitiously without voluntarily downloading the app, I would question how good the data is. From what I've heard, voluntary compliance is places like South Korea where it's successful, were much higher than what we've seen in the U.S.
This all doesn’t matter anymore. The politicians are encouraging the protests, which have no social distancing and some not wearing masks. Evidently the virus is completely gone and there is no reason to abide by any of the restrictions.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:17 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Looker, you won't like this poll.

As counties across California allow stores and restaurants to reopen amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, most in the state don’t think easing restrictions is a good idea.

According to a new poll from the Public Policy Institute of California, fewer than three in 10 people believe decreasing restrictions on physical activity is the right move. While 46 percent say they want about the same number of restrictions, a quarter want more restrictions. In the Bay Area, specifically, just 28 percent want fewer restrictions.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/...-restrictions/

Old 06-05-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Looker, you won't like this poll.

As counties across California allow stores and restaurants to reopen amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, most in the state don’t think easing restrictions is a good idea.

According to a new poll from the Public Policy Institute of California, fewer than three in 10 people believe decreasing restrictions on physical activity is the right move. While 46 percent say they want about the same number of restrictions, a quarter want more restrictions. In the Bay Area, specifically, just 28 percent want fewer restrictions.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/...-restrictions/
Was that taken before or after the protests? Obviously the restrictions are nonsense and needless.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:46 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Was that taken before or after the protests?
Before; the poll was taken May 17-26.

Quote:
Obviously the restrictions are nonsense and needless.
You really believe that, Mike? Just this week, 281 Californians have died of COVID-19.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:57 AM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Nope, it got an option but not the app. Unless you turn on the Bluetooth and install the app it will not work.
I just checked and there are two downloadable covid-19 contact tracing apps, but they are for specific areas. "Crush Covid RI" is used in Rhode Island and "Care19" for South Dakota residents. I don't see any nationwide or universal contact tracing apps on Google Play Store

Old 06-05-2020, 09:08 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Contact tracing depends on everyone having a late-model cell phone glued to their hip at all times.

Since my work and most of my errands are around town and I could walk home if need be, I have just been leaving my phone at home all the time. No one needs to know where I've been. I also pay cash for all in-person transactions; have been doing that for years.

If you live in China, India, or those European countries that have gone to a phone-based payment system, so you have to take a phone everywhere if you want to be able to buy anything, well, they're going to be able to find you.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:14 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,741,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Before; the poll was taken May 17-26.

You really believe that, Mike? Just this week, 281 Californians have died of COVID-19.
At this point, yes, the restrictions are pointless. People will die. This is a virus. We can't hide from it. The original point of locking down was to not overwhelm the healthcare system and to avoid unnecessary deaths. The intent was never to avoid ALL deaths and that is NOT possible. I suppose it were to be possible if we truly locked everyone down until there's a vaccine, but that is not reasonable. 281 deaths, while tragic, is a very small number statistically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California