Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 10:15 AM

21,731 posts, read 16,337,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The link you provided didn't work for me so I had to find another way to view it. It's an interesting read and makes sense they were able to contain or eliminate the threat. Being forewarned is being forearmed. We didn't have that here in the U.S., though. Other news overtook any discussion about the virus so I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Are you blaming our Administration for not warning us or the WHO or the CDC? I know I would have liked it if we could have gotten a handle on this earlier. It's not fun for any of us to live under these particular circumstances of isolation and distancing and constantly making sure we're aware of what we're touching or suspecting anyone we look at as a potential carrier. Annoying as heck is the media and state and city leaders calling these times "the new normal." This IS NOT normal and if this is the way life will be going forward, I don't want to be a part of it.

I know it's affecting all of us differently. Some don't give a darned and will continue their reckless behavior thinking it won't happen to them, some will become so consumed with protecting themselves, they will go to extremes. But, for the majority of us, we will do our part to keep ourselves and others safe. But, in no way is this a way of life I will ever accept as normal.

Whether we didn't get the message early enough or that it wasn't taken seriously, is yet to be determined. I don't like it when experts hide their head in the sand, thinking everything will be okay if they ignore it but, if I recall, in January, the country was more interested in the impeachment hearings. I heard only one person on the news talking about this virus and even he questioned why it wasn't being discussed more.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. All moot now. Life is what it is now. Still, if we implement the ideas stated in the article, we might be able to avoid a resurgence of the virus, come Fall. Wishful thinking and fingers crossed.
I understand ... But here’s the thing about our national “distraction” of the impeachment hearings: while the hearings had the obsessive attention of both the American electorate, and the Congressional politicians as well, neither of those bodies represent who is tasked with monitoring threats of disease. The people at the helm of disease control in America were receiving the same information as the Vietnamese. And the CDC did alert the White House. Trump passed the threat off as insignificant, and his obsequious staff bowed to him and concurred. Taken seriously, this could have halted the impeachment proceedings overnight. But it was dismissed at every mention for December through February as “nothing more than a little new flu bug.” “Nothing to see here folks.”

You may think that Trump was burdened by the impeachment. I do not. Trump thrives on controversy. Bad news is as good - or better - to him as flattery. He simply blew this off. He couldn’t be bothered. It didn’t fit his narrative of being victimized / successful / reviled / loved / attacked / adored etc.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:11 AM

19,202 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I understand ... But here’s the thing about our national “distraction” of the impeachment hearings: while the hearings had the obsessive attention of both the American electorate, and the Congressional politicians as well, neither of those bodies represent who is tasked with monitoring threats of disease. The people at the helm of disease control in America were receiving the same information as the Vietnamese. And the CDC did alert the White House. Trump passed the threat off as insignificant, and his obsequious staff bowed to him and concurred. Taken seriously, this could have halted the impeachment proceedings overnight. But it was dismissed at every mention for December through February as “nothing more than a little new flu bug.” “Nothing to see here folks.”

You may think that Trump was burdened by the impeachment. I do not. Trump thrives on controversy. Bad news is as good - or better - to him as flattery. He simply blew this off. He couldn’t be bothered. It didn’t fit his narrative of being victimized / successful / reviled / loved / attacked / adored etc.
No. You don't understand. At least not what I'm saying. Not just him burdened by the impeachment ... All of us were and both the Congress and Senate. No one focused on what was happening, in China. I lay the responsibility for all this on everyone in Washington. No one spoke up about it. Not one. The media had knowledge of it as well but said nothing. My dislike for the current occupant of the WH doesn't blind me to the lack of responsibility by others in DC.

Now, our governor is faced with trying to find a way to save the state from ruin. As I said before, shoulda, coulda, woulda. It doesn't help to look to the past mistakes. If anything, it should be a lesson to seek out as much information as possible and bring it into the light. As I said, there one only one man in the news that questioned why this wasn't being discussed. Still, it was ignored because partisan fighting and looking for other ways to rid the WH of this horrible person was and still remains the only thing on their mind.

You think anyone in DC cares about the small businesses that will be struggling to maintain or revive their livelihood? They don't and if you do, you're the one living in a fog. Sorry. Not sorry. This partisan crap where one side sees the other as the enemy doesn't help a single one of us on the lowest run on the ladder.

I truly hope that what I read about what's coming in the months ahead doesn't come to fruition because if it does, we're all (or those who don't have a boatload of money) will be facing the worst and I don't care which side of the aisle they sit on.

To prove my point about not taking sides, here's a little walk down memory lane from a former president, who warned about what we should do to prepare for such a pandemic as we are living in now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcj6KUr4aA

Last edited by JGC97; 05-30-2020 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: adding video

Old 05-30-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Not just him burdened by the impeachment ... All of us were and both the Congress and Senate. No one focused on what was happening, in China. I lay the responsibility for all this on everyone in Washington. No one spoke up about it. Not one. The media had knowledge of it as well but said nothing. My dislike for the current occupant of the WH doesn't blind me to the lack of responsibility by others in DC.

Now, our governor is faced with trying to find a way to save the state from ruin. As I said before, shoulda, coulda, woulda. It doesn't help to look to the past mistakes. If anything, it should be a lesson to seek out as much information as possible and bring it into the light. As I said, there one only one man in the news that questioned why this wasn't being discussed. Still, it was ignored because partisan fighting and looking for other ways to rid the WH of this horrible person was and still remains the only thing on their mind.

You think anyone in DC cares about the small businesses that will be struggling to maintain or revive their livelihood? They don't and if you do, you're the one living in a fog. Sorry. Not sorry. This partisan crap where one side sees the other as the enemy doesn't help a single one of us on the lowest run on the ladder.

I truly hope that what I read about what's coming in the months ahead doesn't come to fruition because if it does, we're all (or those who don't have a boatload of money) will be facing the worst and I don't care which side of the aisle they sit on.
My commentary isn’t “partisan”. I don’t fault Republicans or Democrats, conservatives or liberals. I targeted the “buck stops here” leadership.

From Kaiser Health News:
Quote:
CDC Warned Security Leaders About Threat Of A Mysterious Pathogen On Jan. 2. What Happened Next?

Behind the scenes, the National Security Council worked around the clock to try to understand the novel coronavirus after the CDC's Dr. Robert Redfield tipped the members off in early January. Meanwhile, the Trump administration had ended a pandemic detection program two months before the outbreak started in China. And mixed messages and shifting leadership from President Donald Trump and within the White House and Defense Department sow confusion.
This is when Vietnam’s leadership sprang into action ^^^

We have an administration that disregards science at every turn. This administration is not conservative (or obviously, liberal). This is Trumpism. Completely a separate factor from conservative / liberal. And it is a threat our nation.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:21 AM

19,202 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
My commentary isn’t “partisan”. I don’t fault Republicans or Democrats, conservatives or liberals.
LOL Since when?

Old 05-30-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
LOL Since when?
Since always. You are welcome to quote posts where I attack republicans or democrats. My most posted comment is : “ideologies are poor excuses for lazy intellects.”

Specifically to my Vietnam-related post we are discussing, I haven’t identified any failing of either political Party. I have pointed out that the administration at the top was dismissive in ignoring the threat that was brought to their attention ... and that those who were aware and bearing the news to the White House failed in their efforts to convince the POTUS of the danger - and then acquiesced to the Trumpian forces rather than take the concerns to parties outside the White House field of influence - including the press. This is the kind of failure that occurs when top leadership sets up an environment of dictatorial power and personal fear takes precedence over duty to country.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:27 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
Quote:
My commentary isn’t “partisan”. I don’t fault Republicans or Democrats, conservatives or liberals. I targeted the “buck stops here” leadership.

From Kaiser Health News:

This is when Vietnam’s leadership sprang into action ^^^

We have an administration that disregards science at every turn. This administration is not conservative (or obviously, liberal). This is Trumpism. Completely a separate factor from conservative / liberal. And it is a threat our nation.

There were supposedly intelligence reports of a novel virus sweeping through the Wuhan province, even before that CDC report in early Jan. By the time Trump issued the Chinese travel ban, the cat was already out of the bag in regard to this virus spreading outside of China. My opinion is the Jan 31 travel ban should have soon after should have then been followed up with plans/preparations for the possibility of a epidemic in this country.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
There were supposedly intelligence reports of a novel virus sweeping through the Wuhan province, even before that CDC report in early Jan. By the time Trump issued the Chinese travel ban, the cat was already out of the bag in regard to this virus spreading outside of China. My opinion is the Jan 31 travel ban should have soon after should have then been followed up with plans/preparations for the possibility of a epidemic in this country.
Yes.

I went back to click on my original link and, as Mars said, it didn’t work. I copied the headline and googled it. Same story came up fine. I’ll re-link here, but if it fails, anyone curious can google the headline: How Vietnam managed to keep its coronavirus death toll at zero

Here’s a timeline from the article (with the link):
Quote:
How Vietnam managed to keep its coronavirus death toll at zero

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/asia/...hnk/index.html

By early January, temperature screening was already in place for passengers arriving from Wuhan at Hanoi's international airport. Travelers found with a fever were isolated and closely monitored, the country's national broadcaster reported at the time.

By mid-January, Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam was ordering government agencies to take "drastic measures" to prevent the disease from spreading into Vietnam, strengthening medical quarantine at border gates, airports and seaports.

On January 23, Vietnam confirmed its first two coronavirus cases -- a Chinese national living in Vietnam and his father, who had traveled from Wuhan to visit his son. The next day, Vietnam's aviation authorities canceled all flights to and from Wuhan.

As the country celebrated the Lunar New Year holiday, its Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc declared war on the coronavirus. "Fighting this epidemic is like fighting the enemy," he said at an urgent Communist Party meeting on January 27.

Three days later, he set up a national steering committee on controlling the outbreak -- the same day the WHO declared the coronavirus a public health emergency of international concern.

On February 1, Vietnam declared a national epidemic -- with just six confirmed cases recorded across the country. All flights between Vietnam and China were halted, followed by the suspension of visas to Chinese citizens the next day.

Over the course of the month, the travel restrictions, arrival quarantines and visa suspensions expanded in scope as the coronavirus spread beyond China to countries like South Korea, Iran and Italy. Vietnam eventually suspended entry to all foreigners in late March.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:26 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
One patient's (who happens to be a MD) story of battling covid-19.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...n-15304660.php

Old 05-31-2020, 12:09 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,655,981 times

Old 05-31-2020, 12:32 AM

301 posts, read 164,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
That’s a good article, but I wonder if we could have done the same here, even if we wanted. Remember that Trump banned travel from China and it was inferred he was xenophobic.

Vietnam did contact tracing and I think people here would flip out and start screaming about invasion of privacy. Banning all foreigners coming in probably would not work here.

The fact Vietnam ignored WHO and china and implemented measures early was big. Our response was pretty slow from both sides of the political isle. There’s fault on both sides.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California