Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 06:46 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Fear of this thing is far more dangerous than the virus. Why do people need to hoard food, water and TP? Is this the zombie apocalypse?

People need to calm down.
I will soon start selling it individually on eBay. When fear happens all common sense go out of the window

Old 03-05-2020, 06:55 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I will soon start selling it individually on eBay. When fear happens all common sense go out of the window
You may be onto something. Out of curiosity I checked Costco online and they are sold out of two kinds of TP. There are other kinds, but Charmin is gone.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:35 PM

689 posts, read 973,726 times
Anyone is free to be as cavalier as they wish. We all take our chances, hedge our bets and do what feels right for ourselves and our families.

I can only speak from my own experience. In 2012, I contracted H1N1 - the Swine Flu. And I can tell you it was extremely hard on my body and I am, normally, quite healthy and had not had the flu in well over 20 years.

I'm in the higher risk age group - over 60 and our mortality rate for this virus is nothing to take lightly. In addition, this virus has proven very, very contagious, well beyond the norm.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Anyone is free to be as cavalier as they wish. We all take our chances, hedge our bets and do what feels right for ourselves and our families.

I can only speak from my own experience. In 2012, I contracted H1N1 - the Swine Flu. And I can tell you it was extremely hard on my body and I am, normally, quite healthy and had not had the flu in well over 20 years.

I'm in the higher risk age group - over 60 and our mortality rate for this virus is nothing to take lightly. In addition, this virus has proven very, very contagious, well beyond the norm.
I’m not trying to make light of this and it’s wise to take precautions. But going out in a blind panic and making a run on stores so you (the general you) can hide out and hunker down isn’t doing anyone any good.

I get it if people want to cancel a Disneyland trip or cruise, but to go buy 45 packs of TP and 15 cases of water is living in fear. No thanks.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I’m not trying to make light of this and it’s wise to take precautions. But going out in a blind panic and making a run on stores so you (the general you) can hide out and hunker down isn’t doing anyone any good.

I get it if people want to cancel a Disneyland trip or cruise, but to go buy 45 packs of TP and 15 cases of water is living in fear. No thanks.
You need that toilet paper when you taking a **** every 5 minutes because you're scared for your life

Old 03-05-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
You need that toilet paper when you taking a **** every 5 minutes because you're scared for your life
I literally LOL when I read this. The following story is a bit gross, so skip it if you don’t like such things.

Some years back I was visiting Cal Poly to check out their AG program. They were showing us the livestock and one guy was herding cows. He got in the way of one cow and wouldn’t let it pass.

The cow stood there, lifted her tail and let loose a huge stream of diarrhea out of fear. That’s the picture I have of people with this virus and after I read this quoted post.

I hate to think of what will happen when there’s a real emergency.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:

The reason many people are stocking up is because we've been advised to do so in case we do contract the virus and end up being quarantined for 2-3 weeks. While I didn't buy '45 packs of TP', etc, etc, I did purchase enough stuff to keep my pantry stocked should I or my husband become ill.

While we're not hiding out, we're avoiding large groups and eating at home a bit more often. Our cousin caught a bug a couple of days ago and no one knows just what it is right now so a family dinner was canceled - stuff like that seems proactive, not paranoid or over-reactionary...

Old 03-05-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
The reason many people are stocking up is because we've been advised to do so in case we do contract the virus and end up being quarantined for 2-3 weeks. While I didn't buy '45 packs of TP', etc, etc, I did purchase enough stuff to keep my pantry stocked should I or my husband become ill.

While we're not hiding out, we're avoiding large groups and eating at home a bit more often. Our cousin caught a bug a couple of days ago and no one knows just what it is right now so a family dinner was canceled - stuff like that seems proactive, not paranoid or over-reactionary...
Millions of people are not going to stay home in USA unless they are really sick and there is really no way to enforce it. Reality is that it will spread despite what authority are saying. I am currently sneezing few times an hour, which is possible allergy or just a cold. Do you honestly expect me to stay home for 2 weeks? I would hope your answer is no because it's unrealistic in our society to do that. It would also mean my wife would need to stay home and our kids. They would fall behind in school and we would lose lots of money as well

Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Who’s advised people to stock up? This doesn’t look like stocking up, it looks like panic and hoarding. One pack of Costco TP has 30 rolls. I’ve been going there for years and have never seen them sold out. If they’re sold out, people are hoarding and buying much more than needed for 2-3 weeks.

It’s fear.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...5-aa5e83b65b3c

Old 03-05-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Millions of people are not going to stay home in USA unless they are really sick and there is really no way to enforce it. Reality is that it will spread despite what authority are saying. I am currently sneezing few times an hour, which is possible allergy or just a cold. Do you honestly expect me to stay home for 2 weeks? I would hope your answer is no because it's unrealistic in our society to do that. It would also mean my wife would need to stay home and our kids. They would fall behind in school and we would lose lots of money as well
We're talking about a very specific diagnosis of COVID-19 - not a garden variety cold virus. If you should receive this diagnosis and choose to still go to work and expose countless others that would be incredibly irresponsible of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California