Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 09:58 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times

Advertisements

From Canadian truckers to European protests, the world is fed up with COVID crackdowns

Newsom and Garcetti have been two of the most heavy-handed pandemic enforcers in the nation. Newsom dictated that all schoolchildren must wear masks despite the minimal or nonexistent evidence that masks protect kids from COVID transmission. And in L.A. County, students have to mask up even outside under some circumstances.

On President Joe Biden’s first day in office, he decreed that masks must be worn any time people were on federal property. A few hours after signing the order, Biden went maskless at the Lincoln Memorial.

After lockdowns, vaccine mandates and vaccine passports failed to stop the spread of COVID-19, it is time for other nations to “go Danish.” Even though Denmark now has the second highest infection rate in the world, Denmark Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen announced, "We say goodbye to the restrictions and welcome the life we knew before. As of Feb. 1, Denmark will be open." The Danish government tacitly admitted the failure of pandemic restrictions and canceled the indoor mask mandate, COVID passport requirements and most other restrictions.

Denmark is not alone: Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre announced Tuesday that his nation would drop almost all COVID restrictions. Last month, Ireland announced the end of most COVID restrictions, and the Irish are looking forward to heartily celebrating St. Patrick's Day.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:20 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
5 days left. Can't get here soon enough even though most stores here in San Diego don't even enforce it. I just want to see it disappear from the local media. Ba Bye.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
5 days left. Can't get here soon enough even though most stores here in San Diego don't even enforce it. I just want to see it disappear from the local media. Ba Bye.
You're lucky, here it's like 99% compliance. I was in Florida when I read my county dropped the vaccine requirement then when I read they were dropping the mask one too my last day there so I cannot wait. It felt so good to be in a place without all that crap. I did not want to come back at all.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:22 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
"Even though Denmark now has the second highest infection rate in the world"

The endemic delusion. Some people would rather surrender to widespread sickness and death than accept restrictions and change their behavior or go along with social/structural change. (A big problem all along has been too few restrictions on travel, which has undermined most measures.)

Old 02-11-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're lucky, here it's like 99% compliance. I was in Florida when I read my county dropped the vaccine requirement then when I read they were dropping the mask one too my last day there so I cannot wait. It felt so good to be in a place without all that crap. I did not want to come back at all.
Ya'all dumping the ludicrous next week or gonna still play the stupid game? I feel for all ya'all. Gonna be some freaky **** goin down for a few weeks.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya'all dumping the ludicrous next week or gonna still play the stupid game? I feel for all ya'all. Gonna be some freaky **** goin down for a few weeks.
Only one county is keeping the mask mandate, Santa Clara, which I rarely go to. I'm sure at least 75% of the people will still have them on for a while though.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:07 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I call BS. 10% is probably close to the uncertainty of the "study".

Somebody fluffed their numbers pretty hard to come up with the conclusion they wanted.
Then check out that Times/Survey Monkey poll data, link embedded in that article.

How about this "survey," since you'd probably prefer these results: Poll finds majority ready to accept COVID-19 as part of life: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...t-of-life-poll

"The survey from Monmouth University released on Monday showed that while Americans are still concerned about the pandemic, the overwhelming majority think it is time to continue on with the virus being a part of normal life. "

The Monmouth University Poll was conducted by telephone from January 20 to 24, 2022 with 794 adults in the United States. (Now there's a sample size.) And for some reason....the link to the study is dead.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:17 PM

I predict that later this year there will be a lawsuit between private citizens over one carelessly spreading COVID-19 to the other (and causing significant harm). Then the people who are reckless and at most get vaccinated but don't closely monitor their health and do lots of maskless recreational activities (or travel masked-up when feeling ill) will be the ones who are "scared." Also, within a few years, I expect medical tests to be able to determine with confidence after the fact if one person was part of a transmission chain to an associate. A cottage industry for pinning the blame might even develop. Makes me wish I were a lawyer.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I predict that later this year there will be a lawsuit between private citizens over one carelessly spreading COVID-19 to the other (and causing significant harm). Then the people who are reckless and at most get vaccinated but don't closely monitor their health and do lots of maskless recreational activities (or travel masked-up when feeling ill) will be the ones who are "scared." Also, within a few years, I expect medical tests to be able to determine with confidence after the fact if one person was part of a transmission chain to an associate. A cottage industry for pinning the blame might even develop. Makes me wish I were a lawyer.
I predict the amount of zanax will skyrocket.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:30 AM

The unappreciated wise man here wasting my time with crazed people who lean right, on something off-topic, but there are few 'leftists' around and the numbers thereof haven't been big for about 50 years. That's when it was mostly discredited by real-world failures. There are many Democrat loyalists here and in most places, and that's often how some misguided leftists get into important leadership positions, true believers and ignorant (or presuming the positions to be mostly talk, a la Newsom) party loyalists voting in elections that much of the public skips and then the general public gets mad at the policies enacted and forces the people out of office ASAP. It's happening in LA now. Also, it has almost nothing to do with COVID beyond pandemic-related staffing issues and those wanting to use it as an excuse to not be personally cautious about the virus (baby out with the bathwater), political orientation shouldn't affect attitudes toward the virus (personal/family health and social functioning over labels and famous people that don't know you), and I'm tired of one-track minds who almost never contribute anything good on this website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California