Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 10:43 AM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times

Advertisements

As SoCal natives who lived there most of our lives, we moved out for all the same reasons that most do including overcrowding, excessive housing costs, lack of wide open spaces, etc... Initially, we moved to CO. However, as an ocean lover, it was just too far from the coast. We also discovered we didn't like living a mile high+ with the unpredictable climate including blizzards, high winds, overly dry air, etc... So we moved back to the west coast, though determined to never return to SoCal. Monterey was our next home where we raised our kids and absolutely loved it.

Once our kids grew, we began searching for somewhere more affordable. That's when we moved to Washington state in Vancouver. It's been great with four distinct seasons along with beautiful mountains, rivers, waterfalls, the Oregon coast and lots of green and trees. While it gets more rain than CA, we actually enjoy the results including being greener overall with fewer fires. We have CA relatives who lost their home and almost their lives in one of the many drought related firestorms.

Alternatively, we considered the greater Sacramento area, but decided in favor of the PNW because we've enjoyed it so much over the years vacationing here. We love exploring the national parks, the Gorge, the Sounds and the rugged PNW coast. East side of the Cascades is beautiful as well around places like Bend, OR and Wenatchee, WA.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 12:22 PM

286 posts, read 640,313 times
I moved to Socal (Orange County) in late 1999 and was blown away with the weather, diverse food choices and people. I was lucky to get an apartment for 700.00 a month (private owner) on the Newport Beach, Costa Mesa line and I loved it there. Moved away in 2006 and couldn't possibly move back. I would love to but could never afford it now. That apartment option tripled in price so it's impossible for me to live there now. I honestly don't know how people are able to afford living in California anymore.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:41 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
I honestly don't know how people are able to afford living in California anymore.
Simple, you will just need to make a lot of money ($100K plus) or being frugal to compensate for a high cost of living.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Glad you're happy. Crater lake and the coast of ore are my favorite parts of that state. Gorgeous stuff.

Just letting ya know that disasters are still a thing in ore, ppl seem to forget that for some reason.
Earthquakes and floods are part of its history. And, fire might be in its future. Don't get complacent, be prepared, things can hit anytime.
Yep, the rugged Oregon coast is amazing. We haven't visited Crater Lake yet, so looking forward to seeing that. Honestly, there is so much to see and do up here including jumping across the border to Canada that we could explore it the rest of our lives and never see it all.

We're aware disasters happen everywhere, just different types in different places. So pick your poison. But fires will always be worse in CA due to the drier, drought prone climate which comes along with milder weather. In fact, they're only get worse over time with devastating firestorms like those in Paradise and Santa Rosa. Let's hope we don't get another one in 2020 as we enter fire season this year. By contrast, I've lived through countless earthquakes and those don't really phase me.

Derek

Old 04-20-2020, 08:35 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Some years ago, I moved from OC to Spokane. I stayed for 3 years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Contrary to what I'd been told, I was accepted by the natives in my neighborhood. I lived in an old neighborhood filled with mostly multigenerational Spokane natives. (Vinegar Flats, just south of Browne's Addition). The exception was the retired LASD Sgt a couple of doors down. We became fast friends, no doubt due to the careers we retired from.

I was teased about being an LA native who grew up at the beach (Spicoli jokes and Valspeak attempts) but I can take it and did.

I returned to the area for a business opportunity and to be closer to the grandsquirts that had started popping out of local family wombs. It was a nice 3-year respite, but the clarion call of my native land won the day. I don't regret it one bit.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:04 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
Lived in SD for 43 years, loved it when it was truly paradise. Moved out of state 3 months ago after lots of life changes and years ofo research. Moved to North Carolina, love it here and wouldn’t move back.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:00 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
I lived in CA for almost 25 years, and my husband was born and raised there. In 2010, we'd both had enough of high taxes, overcrowding, insane regulations and the high cost of living. We moved to the DFW area of Texas, and couldn't be happier.

We bought a house when prices were in the toilet, and the value has doubled in 10 years. Property tax percentages are higher than in CA, but with houses valued at so much less, the dollar amount is the same. No state income tax on salaries that are comparable to the ones we left in CA.

Do we want to retire here? No. I love the area for now, but it's just too crowded to retire here. But living here for now has enabled us to boost our retirement, in a place that has many, many pluses. Culture, friendly people, a vibrant and thriving economy make it a great place to live while we're working and saving.

Would we come back? Not unless things change drastically, and we can't see that happening. My MIL still owns a home there, and my husband will inherit it when she passes. We've talked about moving back to that house, but neither of us want to do that. So no, not going back.

I miss the Sierra mountains, I miss the rivers, I miss our friends, I miss the CA that existed when I first moved there in the 80's. But the cons far outweigh the pros.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:48 PM

54 posts, read 43,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juilane View Post
My husband and I will soon retire. We have a pretty good deal here where we are renting from a good friend. Sold our home about a year ago in anticipation of our retirement. My questions; where did you go when you left Southern California and would you come back? Do you regret your move?

I can't speak for myself as I was moved away from California when I was an infant, but i've never known a person who has left cali as an adult who has regretted it. Including most of my family this totals about 30 people. Plus, they seem nicer once they leave the golden state. Less financial stress I assume.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:46 PM

268 posts, read 216,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
The title of this thread is: " Those of you who left So. Calif., where did you go and would you come back? ".

We went to Huntsville, Alabama which, much to our surprise it was a very well educated city. Mainly because the city has 3 big employers, the Army, the Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and NASA. The Army is all civilian with program management centers. As you can imagine, every aerospace company has an office/ division there to do business with these 3 government agencies. This and very little manufacturing jobs in the city, the City is mostly a very educated white collar workers town. I think 1 in 10 has an engineering degree.

I guess I could retire there but having lived in SoCal for 20 years prior, the town was a little boring for me.
I had long training and stayed in the Huntsville/Madison area for a year with employment for Northrop. I thought about moving there when I get older and live an expat lifestyle. Definitely is a slow-paced city but I wouldn't mind that if I'm able to still travel...although that airport really doesn't get many flights because of its size.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHLUV View Post
I had long training and stayed in the Huntsville/Madison area for a year with employment for Northrop. I thought about moving there when I get older and live an expat lifestyle. Definitely is a slow-paced city but I wouldn't mind that if I'm able to still travel...although that airport really doesn't get many flights because of its size.
Yep, lots of DoD work out there including contractors like Northrop. I have several friends who moved there for a time because of it. One eventually moved back to CA. I think he wanted to be closer to family again, plus Boeing offered him a good job back in SoCal.

I've been fortunate to move to various states and locations within CA while maintaining work for my current employer. They've allowed me to work remotely more recently. So we could technically live anywhere with decent internet and an airport for business travel.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California