Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 04:04 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times

Advertisements

I moved to France, but I still maintain a residence in Santa Monica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 12:35 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
Please stay on topic, or close to it. This is not the thread to bicker back and forth, trash talk California or places to where people move or considering moving, put down other states, troll other members, or engage in general silliness.

This thread is now re-opened for constructive contributions to the OPs query.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 05-12-2020 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 02:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,995 times
I left Southern California in 2001 to attend the University of Oregon for college. In 2006, I moved to Tennessee for grad school, but returned to Oregon to finish grad school. I then moved to Austin in 2007 where I met my wife, bought a house and had a kid. We are now moving to Wrightwood. We’re super excited about living in the mountains and raise our daughter hiking around and skiing. Being able to camp, go to the beach, and explore the beauty of the state is what drew us/me back to my home state.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:54 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,758,434 times
Moved to Reno area and love it. And yes I would come back to CA if it was necessary.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 AM

286 posts, read 640,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Moved to OKC. Would come back to So Cal if my salary tripled (it's simply not true when people say you couldn't pay me enough to live there, everyone has a price!)

[mod cut]
I landed in OKC as well. Not so terrible here, right?

Old 06-29-2020, 02:07 PM

393 posts, read 277,279 times
I was born and raised in SoCa (LA area). So was my mother, her folks arrived there in about 1923.

By 1986 I had gotten married, bought a house, and started a family. My then-wife was from Northern CA (Bay area), so we used to visit there often. We finally got fed up with traffic, so we moved up north in '86. I remember at the time thinking there were not as many choices for good food up north as there were in LA, but otherwise we were happy we left.

About 10 years ago my job at the time took me back to Southern CA again (Palmdale). I worked about half time there, the other half in Northern CA. My current wife is from the LA area, so we spent a lot of time roaming around that area.

I don’t think I’d ever move back. I’m retired now, but happy enough where I’m at.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:27 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,274,132 times
I left Southern California in 1990, decided to check out the Phoenix area, and 30 years later I'm still here!

I've only been back twice since I've moved and the last time was over 20 years ago...I enjoyed my time there but I'm settled here, so I don't see myself heading back.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:36 AM

52 posts, read 37,151 times
Moved from Carlsbad, moved to Houston, Tx.
No reason to move back, no family there anymore, no work for oceanographer or hydrographic surveyor anymore. Did undersea work for oil and natural gas companies here. With no serious drilling or exploration going on, did deep sea exploration and salvage.

None of that going on off west coast. Retiring northeast Texas. Might return for Navy reunions, but other than that, don’t really see it happening.

On a side note, had a blast when I was there. Could go from ocean to mountain to desert in minutes.
But, a place is just a place. Experiences shared with people make or break it for me.

Happy 4th everyone.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:51 AM

552 posts, read 223,503 times
Born 1963 Santa Ana- Fountain Valley area of So Cal. Left in 1983 when I joined the Navy and
took orders to Hawaii.

My mom was born and raised in So Cal 1930 after her mom/family settled in 1910 ish. I was
always told about how beautiful and pristine California was back before the freeways, etc.

By the time I left So. Cal., I was just terrified how expensive it was getting to live there. I
ended up living in San Diego and then San Jose. Between all three coastal areas of California,
financially I was just floundering and paying too much for crappy rental situations.

I left California for good in 1995. I moved to Idaho, Colorado and now Texas. For some strange
reason, Texas is the nicest area and place where I feel most at home. I feel like I can afford a
roof over my head here and it is very pretty where I live. It is the only state outside of California
where I have lived for several years straight.

I went back to So Cal to visit back over 10 years ago. It was not familiar to me at all, it never
felt like home. California was always a place I wanted to leave anytime I lived there. I used
to always wonder what the rest of the world was like while I lived there, and I sure did find out!
Compared to my mother, who was born and raised in So Cal and she only lived briefly outside
the area once in her life. She did not travel much, she was very content to live and explore
her beloved state of California.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:02 AM

111 posts, read 74,555 times
We moved out in retirement. Still have some family out there. We meet up once a year at Disney. Hit that, Knott’s and usually go see some things in LA. We have a loop we do as well up through the 395 to visit the memories of my youth seeing Whitney, passing through Yosemite, then back down before leaving. We take about 3 days to do it. Next year will probably be our last trip for that. We used to go to San Diego where I grew up. Not so much anymore. San Diego is foreign to me now and the people have become rude and inconsiderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California