Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:21 AM

585 posts, read 634,300 times

Advertisements

It sounds like one of you is comparing San Francisco CITY to Long Beach, the other is comparing San Francisco CITY AND COUNTY to Long Beach.

Long Beach is huge, and it is one of nearly 88 incorporated cities in Los Angeles Co. There are MANY unincorporated cities in Los Angeles County also (Northridge, Sherman Oaks, Hollywood, Van Nuys, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, etc.). Again, Long Beach is just one of many, and it is large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:59 AM

373 posts, read 252,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
What kind of questions is that?

Like downtown LA? I believe LA's central core has more population than all of San Francisco. LA County has 11,000,000 people. NYC has just 8mil. SF is just slightly larger than Long Beach.
That doesnt answer my question AT ALL lol. Not to mention LA could have 49 million people and it wouldnt change the fact that no neighborhood in LA is as dense as SF or SF neighborhoods. Manhattan has 1.6 mil compared to houston 2.4 mil but total population means nothing on urbanity or density

Old 05-04-2020, 03:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
That doesnt answer my question AT ALL lol. Not to mention LA could have 49 million people and it wouldnt change the fact that no neighborhood in LA is as dense as SF or SF neighborhoods. Manhattan has 1.6 mil compared to houston 2.4 mil but total population means nothing on urbanity or density
What makes you think there is another city outside of LA that is as dense as SF or even close? Think about that.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
It sounds like one of you is comparing San Francisco CITY to Long Beach, the other is comparing San Francisco CITY AND COUNTY to Long Beach.

Long Beach is huge, and it is one of nearly 88 incorporated cities in Los Angeles Co. There are MANY unincorporated cities in Los Angeles County also (Northridge, Sherman Oaks, Hollywood, Van Nuys, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, etc.). Again, Long Beach is just one of many, and it is large.
What difference does that make? The City and County of SF are the same thing.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:51 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
Maybe they meant comparing SF city/county to one densely populated LA city (LB specifically) AND LACO?

IDK. Either way, it should be fairly obvious that SF is the most densely populated city on the west coast BY FAR, and that only LA has neighborhoods/cities that come remotely close. I haven't looked up all the stats myself for each of California's most populous cities, but I'd say there's probably a half dozen or so places in LA which have a population density over 10k per person/SQ mile. Maybe a few parts of Oakland/SD/Sac get above 10k+, but IDK. What's particularly interesting is how dense Chinatown and North Beach are (30k+ per square mile) when compared to the rest of SF (18k+ average).

I'm super curious if anything in LA approaches the same density as the densest parts of SF, but I highly doubt it.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:01 PM

373 posts, read 252,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I didn't grow up on fantasy island, that's for sure. Tomato, tomahhhto, big deal. Bottom line is, SF's population is closer to Long Beach than nyc or LA. An apt comparison has been made.
SF is way more dense than anything in LA, large parks and all

Old 07-19-2020, 01:30 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
What neighborhood outside of SF is most urban in CA. Sorry SF, I didnt include you guys because you guys have an urbanity that's only topped by NYC so it's pointless to include
OP, the wording of your question is causing confusion. What do you mean by "neighborhood"? SF isn't a "neighborhood", it's a city.

SF is in a unique situation geographically, being on a peninsula, so growth-wise, it doesn't have anywhere to go but up. That results in high density. So the only other comparable place is Manhattan, limited to an island.

IDK; Oakland is growing in density. Maybe there's a neighborhood in Oakland that's particularly high-density?

Old 07-19-2020, 06:05 PM

307 posts, read 241,867 times
Some of these LA streets and neighborhoods in the 'hood' are dense as hell. I take drives around the city quite often more so especially since Covid came- just to get out of the house. I drove down Central Avenue the other day to check out the old Jazz music district, which is long gone of course, but the area has NY levels of density to it. I know most people don't want to drive through these areas but the whole South Central LA- from Watts all the way up to DTLA is packed to the gills density wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California