Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 06:37 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,529,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Interesting. If you don't mean to start a political discussion, why is the thread titled, Where are liberal Californians moving to? Conservatives?

Who you tryin' to fool?
Haha lol! I sincerely meant no political warfare I guess is the right term. I was genuinely curious about this, mostly the relationship between Arizona and Texas as to which one is receiving more liberal/conservatives from CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 10:07 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,316,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Californians that are leaving the state... which states are they moving to? : Not meant to start a political discussion.
"Not meant to start a political discussion" while leading off with as politically charged a title as there could possibly be.

At any rate, I still don't believe people leave this state for political reasons. Its always financial, but masked with "well I can afford this great house in (insert state) because its better managed." Um, no its just cheaper to live there for obvious reasons.

The funniest are people who are experts on "how bad California is getting" who have never actually lived in a bad part of California. They get priced out of the coastal metros, but think living inland/desert is beneath them so they move out and bash the whole state.

I honestly never hear about people planning to leave CA IRL, unless its the random person moving back to where they were originally from.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:24 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,986,373 times
I moved to France. Not because of politics or lower cost of living... I just like France and I have dual citizenship. I still maintain a residence in Santa Monica.. a conservative in a sea of Liberals! Lol In the 7 years I resided in SM I never had any political disagreements with any of my friends or neighbors... but, of course most of my neighbors kept to themselves. Lol

Old 05-17-2020, 12:29 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,727,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
"Not meant to start a political discussion" while leading off with as politically charged a title as there could possibly be.

At any rate, I still don't believe people leave this state for political reasons. Its always financial, but masked with "well I can afford this great house in (insert state) because its better managed." Um, no its just cheaper to live there for obvious reasons.

The funniest are people who are experts on "how bad California is getting" who have never actually lived in a bad part of California. They get priced out of the coastal metros, but think living inland/desert is beneath them so they move out and bash the whole state.

I honestly never hear about people planning to leave CA IRL, unless its the random person moving back to where they were originally from.
Denver, Phoenix and Salt Lake City are much nicer than Bakersfield, Fresno, Modesto Riverside and San Bernardino. Ick.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:50 AM

30,904 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
At any rate, I still don't believe people leave this state for political reasons. Its always financial, but masked with "well I can afford this great house in (insert state) because its better managed." Um, no its just cheaper to live there for obvious reasons..
But the thing is, housing in CA is expensive largely because of policy decisions made by politicians over the last 40 years. Economists from across the political spectrum agree with that statement.

This from CityLab a self described "progressive" news outlet:

The Bay Area must do several things to address its housing crisis, according to the report. First, the region must overcome outmoded zoning and building codes that suppress development.

https://www.citylab.com/solutions/20...ncisco/418329/

As early as the 1970s, MIT urban planning professor Bernard Frieden made the argument that California’s growth controls, applied to wildlands and existing neighborhoods alike, would only make housing progressively more expensive.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2020/02...y-book/606913/

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-17-2020 at 02:02 AM..

Old 05-17-2020, 01:53 AM

30,904 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Denver, Phoenix and Salt Lake City are much nicer than Bakersfield, Fresno, Modesto, Riverside and San Bernardino. Ick.
I definitely agree. And the cost of living in those out-of-state places, save Denver, is the same or lower than the inland CA cities.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:32 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
I still don't believe people leave this state for political reasons. Its always financial, but masked with "well I can afford this great house in (insert state) because its better managed."
I could not agree more.

Quote:
I've never known anyone who was unhappy living here IRL - those who've left have done so for a job. (Except one family, who thought Californians were "crazy" and they moved to AZ.)

Old 05-17-2020, 07:27 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,393,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
But the thing is, housing in CA is expensive largely because of policy decisions made by politicians over the last 40 years. Economists from across the political spectrum agree with that statement.

This from CityLab a self described "progressive" news outlet:

The Bay Area must do several things to address its housing crisis, according to the report. First, the region must overcome outmoded zoning and building codes that suppress development.

https://www.citylab.com/solutions/20...ncisco/418329/

As early as the 1970s, MIT urban planning professor Bernard Frieden made the argument that California’s growth controls, applied to wildlands and existing neighborhoods alike, would only make housing progressively more expensive.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2020/02...y-book/606913/
We don’t have a housing problem. Or a traffic problem. There is no energy problem or water problem either.

We have a population problem.

Deal with the root, not the pollen drifting in the air.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:29 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,393,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I definitely agree. And the cost of living in those out-of-state places, save Denver, is the same or lower than the inland CA cities.
And everyone for whom COL is a primary issue should consider those other places as options. Agreed.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:50 AM

460 posts, read 233,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Haha lol! I sincerely meant no political warfare I guess is the right term. I was genuinely curious about this, mostly the relationship between Arizona and Texas as to which one is receiving more liberal/conservatives from CA.
Most people here will give you fake PC version, I believe some here are on the payroll (I had put them on ignore right way not to waste time on reading the fake garbage).

Of course there's plenty of politically-motivated migration out of CA, but this would be mostly retirees who're not dependent on a local job.
Of course living among like-minded people is important and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying (may be lying to themselves as well).
A lot of so-called CA conservatives are actually closet liberals by other states' standards, by the way, and this is, in part, what causes so much resentment towards Californians in other states. These days its' outright not safe to drive with CA plates in a few places. I seriously doubt that most people posting on CA forum here ever even been to hardcore conservative states or counties, especially to rural areas in those.

Migration to TX isn't simple - even though TX should attract conservative people -
TX will simply get some younger people desperate for own house where they can get jobs too, and thus will get somewhat more liberal demographics arriving this way - though truly liberal people will have trouble with TX and generally won't move there no matter what, or will promptly move back.
I think AZ is more popular with retirees, because of some nicer climates there. Retirees will be more conservative demographics on average.
(let's just say retiring from CA to TX isn't going to be pleasant, because of climate factor alone and brutal heat and humidity combination in most places and too much to sacrifice just because of "politics" ).

You go to some places in OR and NV and people will run their mouth about CA politics (where they moved from), non-stop, even realtors will do that. They didn't move because of house prices. During last housing collapse one could be picking up CA real estate cheap in many places, CA was hit worse than OR, but location-independent people were moving out of CA for political reasons.
You just have to expand the view outside of those living in rich enclaves isolated from real life and/or still living in big cities, which exist in alternate realities at this point, and you'll see a lot of people who moved for political reasons.

Real conservative (not the CA coastal version, which would be almost "liberals" for anyone outside CA) moves where they can target practice all they want on their property and carry anywhere (which is OK almost anywhere but CA and coastal Northeast), open, concealed, without permit. They consider most CA cities and town to be cesspools and won't set a food there.

Last edited by landlock; 05-17-2020 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California