Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 02:43 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Without taxes we’d be like the autonomous zone in Seattle. Additionally, not all of us voted for it. I didn’t, but I’m not going to obsess over a 12 cents a gallon increase with an annual increase for inflation.

Given everything that’s going on, a 3.2 cent a gallon tax increase is pretty far down on the “Holy Sh**” scale.
I’m with you there. I didn’t vote for it as I saw through the BS, voted for the repeal, and obviously lost both times. I don’t feel like redoing the exercise, but I figured the .12c a gallon on the varying mpg on our cars, and how much each is driven, I think came out in that $150-$175 a year for both my wife and myself. Yeah $150 is still $150, but nothing to be like some were with “that’s it we’re leaving”. I have a lot more on my mind right now than an extra .3c a gallon a few weeks. I like your “Holy Sh** scale”, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 03:54 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh the horror!
This is the OP's 5th thread about gas taxes in California. Seems pretty odd.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:21 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Oh I don’t think it’s odd at all. Fits the OP’s narrative about the imminent collapse of the state. And if a rise of $1 - $2 a month in your budget doesn’t convince you to spend 10s of thousands of dollars to uproot and find new work and home elsewhere you must be one of those librul tax lovers that hate freedom.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Indeed, some people might think that would indicate an obsession

Old 06-18-2020, 08:36 PM

8,344 posts, read 6,438,626 times
Tax here, tax there, tax this, tax that it add's up

Old 06-19-2020, 04:38 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,315,149 times
I can’t imagine how much it cost the boat poster to fill up his boat. Unless his boat is all sail powered.

I noticed recently that California now has the highest prices in all of North America sometimes even beating Vancouver, British Columbia based on gas buddy after converting liters to gallons, and minding the exchange rate. I be curious what keeps it that high if there isn’t much demand these days. Vancouver, BC is normally the most expensive metropolitan city for gasoline in North America it’s prices usually just edging over that of San Francisco and Beverly Hills.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/B...mbia/Vancouver
As of June 18 the lowest Pump prices which includes a Shell station has gas prices at $1.139CAD a liter or $4.31CAD a gallon, which converts to $3.19 USD a gallon. And some California stations are higher in my area. A week or so earlier that rate was less than $3 USD. While some California stations were already over $3USD. I be curious what’s keeping CA prices so high these days. Though I do realize when oil prices are low it’s often the prime time for governments to hike taxes on fuel where immediate effects be soft on the constituents wallets and goes unnoticed. Though the effects of such a tax hike would really be felt on the day when oil prices go up again along with prices at the pump. And once taxes go up it’s going to stay there no matter what happens as taxes go one way which is up.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I can’t imagine how much it cost the boat poster to fill up his boat. Unless his boat is all sail powered.
Don’t know if you are referring to me, but my boats (plural) are sail and human-powered (kayaks and canoes and rowing skiffs). My sail boats do have auxiliary motor power, as well: electric.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:29 AM

295 posts, read 143,767 times
so you people dont care how this effects the poor? they are going to be hurt by another tax! i dont see you liberals crying that the poor will suffer.

but hey 3.5 cents here, 5 cents, there, another bond over there, raise fees, its just another increase in taxes no big deal

Old 06-19-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happly retired View Post
so you people dont care how this effects the poor? they are going to be hurt by another tax! i dont see you liberals crying that the poor will suffer.

but hey 3.5 cents here, 5 cents, there, another bond over there, raise fees, its just another increase in taxes no big deal
Well well well. Mr. Happly has found another issue to bring him back to California forums after moving happly away. How surprising. Welcome!

Average car use by average driver is about 12,000 miles per year. Average economy runs about 25 mpg. So that runs about 480 gallons of gas. Multiply that by what is it? $0.03 increase per gallon? Hmm *calculator burning smell here* ..... OMG! $14 per year! That's over a dollar per month increase in budgeting!

And nothing else in life ever increases in cost.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:26 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
They should compromise so that the increase is just one or two cents. But politicians and good sense rarely go together these days.
... or maybe just ask why California has the highest gas tax in the country currently?

I just paid a $1.54 a gallon in another state and the roads look far better than the roads in Los Angeles or San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California