Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 11:19 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Someone with an obvious interest and expertise in art history would die working a dull, tedious job such as HVAC repair.

And they'd probably die in a blistering hot, dusty, rodent turd filled attic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 07:15 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,676,278 times
Default being brutally practical

Quote:
Someone with an obvious interest and expertise in art history would die working a dull, tedious job such as HVAC repair.
Most people have a choice: either a boring, unfulfilling job that pays enough for a moderately comfortable lifestyle so he/she can travel to visit the "art history" that he/she presumably loves OR uncompromisingly pursuing your "dream" and ending up at 45 with no nest egg, a bleak future, and a past filled with "satisfying" clerical jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd like to point out, for those saying, "What good is an Art History degree", that the OP was able to find a halfway decent job, that supported him in LA. I would follow up on that experience, OP, looking for admin jobs wherever you can find them. You might even score one with a museum, where you might find opportunities to use your degree.

Another option would be university gigs. The advantage there, is that, while you're working as office admin, you're able to take 5 credits for free each semester. In this way, you can build yourself an MA patiently, over time. This could expand your employability and earning power. At the least, it could give you hope of improving your circumstances. University employment offers good benefits, too. And universities have museums; you could watch the employment listings (once you're already an insider, working there), and jump on the rare opening for office admin in a museum context, for example. And btw, one way to boost your chances of getting a university job, is to get on their temporary pool. Once you have some experience with that, you'll automatically qualify as an insider, a university employee, so you'll get first dibs at the jobs, vs. applying and trying to compete from the outside.
Museums are closing; many permanently. Colleges are also retrenching, some going completely to on-line learning, others cutting back enrollment and employment. I worked for universities for most of my adult life, and holy cow, it isn't nearly as easy now as it was back then. The sooner the OP abandons the idea that he/she will be able to parlay the art history degree into any kind of sustainable employment, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
As opposed to secretarial/clerical work they’re currently doing, not sure about that? To each their own, but I would find sitting at a desk for 8 hours typing on a computer to be far duller, and way more tedious, than a job in the trades like HVAC? Even for an “artsy” type? You’ll make a lot more money, and have more flexibility in the hours you want to work as well.
Bingo! Any kind of skilled trade job will pay a lot more than clerical, and have better long term prospects. If you want something "artistic" study to be a cabinetmaker or learn how to design medical prostheses (I consulted a plastic surgeon many years ago who proudly promoted his credentials as a sculptor.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

OP - you need a "hard skill" to get a decent paying job, even in LA.

While you're staying with Mom in Iowa, consider going back to school and taking accounting classes, for example. Every company needs accountants.

Better yet, get yourself a MBA degree. It takes only 2 years and it's a worthwhile investment in your life long career. Some companies actually like MBA with liberal arts background because you're more "creative".
HB, you had me agreeing with you, right up to the MBA. No, no, no! OP cannot "educate" him/herself out of this problem any more than you can borrow your way out of debt. Bus Admin doesn't really teach you anything practical (which could be said of many university degrees); people who are already employed get them just to make themselves more promotable.

Quote:
But those are temporary.

OP, look at some job sites for those with art history backgrounds, or job opportunities at museums for future reference.

The Huntington Library: https://www.huntington.org/employment

L.A. County Museum of Art (which is closed now, but if/when you come after the pandemic): https://www.lacma.org/jobs
See above. This is an especially dire time for museums, and may get worse before it gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And they'd probably die in a blistering hot, dusty, rodent turd filled attic.
If the OP holds out for something that uses the art history degree, he/she may well be living in a hot, dusty, rodent turd filled attic with two roommates, instead of just working in one.

I always told my kids there are really only two ways for someone without "connections" to make a lot of money working: either be very, very good/talented at what you do, or be willing to do things that most people would consider beneath them, e.g. mortuary science or septic service.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:45 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
But those are temporary.

OP, look at some job sites for those with art history backgrounds, or job opportunities at museums for future reference.

The Huntington Library: https://www.huntington.org/employment

L.A. County Museum of Art (which is closed now, but if/when you come after the pandemic): https://www.lacma.org/jobs
Quote:
I'd like to point out, for those saying, "What good is an Art History degree", that the OP was able to find a halfway decent job, that supported him in LA. I would follow up on that experience, OP, looking for admin jobs wherever you can find them. You might even score one with a museum, where you might find opportunities to use your degree.
Good luck with that.

The only way you’re having a career working at a museum is if you have a spouse or family money supporting you. How many museums are there vs those with art degrees trying to get jobs at them? The path to any sort of “decent” paying job at a museum starts with interning/volunteering, often for years. Next up you get a paying docent position where you may make the equivalent of a supplemental income. Maybe if you’re lucky you might get a good paying administration jobs after years there?

My mom was slapped with this cold reality nearly 40 years ago with her art history degree, and I don’t think the business model for museums have changed because I’ve heard similar stories over the years from those looking to, and those who did, work at museums.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:51 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Museums are closing; many permanently. Colleges are also retrenching, some going completely to on-line learning, others cutting back enrollment and employment. I worked for universities for most of my adult life, and holy cow, it isn't nearly as easy now as it was back then. The sooner the OP abandons the idea that he/she will be able to parlay the art history degree into any kind of sustainable employment, the better.
But the OP already has had sustainable employment with her college degree, and wants to get back into that type of situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical;
Bingo! Any kind of skilled trade job will pay a lot more than clerical, and have better long term prospects. If you want something "artistic" study to be a cabinetmaker or learn how to design medical prostheses (I consulted a plastic surgeon many years ago who proudly promoted his credentials as a sculptor.)
This overlooks the fact, that most people interested in art/art history aren't cut out to work in the trades. But sure, cabinetmaking, or fine woodworking, why not? If that's where the OP's talents lie. I knew a female admin who became a cabinetmaker, when she opted out of the office scene in order to exercise her mommy-track option. But we can't assume that would be a good fit for the OP.

Museums in my town are not closing, and have no plans to, whatsoever. My alma mater is pursuing plans to re-open in the fall, and has already seen fraternities and sororities begin to accept residents in advance of fall quarter. Whether or not this actually pans out remains to be seen. But even if all universities were to switch to online classes permanently, they would still need administrative staff. And that's not the OP's only option, of course; city gov't needs admin staff, businesses, etc. The university employment suggestion was for the purpose of giving the OP a realistic option for pursuing further education, whether it be in a new field, or to further herself in her previously chosen one.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
In 2018 I moved from California to Texas where I had zero luck finding decent, life sustaining employment. I have a BA in Art History. I had mental health issues and my family encouraged me to attend a program in Houston, while the program itself was helpful, there was no opportunity for me there. While the cost of living in Texas is low, wages are horrible making it a tough place to “start over” in. What’s the use of a degree when most basic office work pays $9.00 an hour and your boss is a conservative oilman?

As of now I am staying (not going to say living) with my mom in Iowa. I did not see a point in renewing my lease. I reckon if I go back to California I could probably find something (most likely through a temp agency) that would at least allow me to sustain myself. The only options for work around here is manual labor or retail. I have a gig with the Census Bureau, but work here will only last a couple months.

I was so much happier before I left LA. I wasn’t making much ($20/hour as a secretary/data entry assistant) but it allowed me to create a little nest in Culver City. I don’t see what the alternative is for me.

With the pandemic how long should I wait to make a move like this? Should I go back to LA or maybe try out SF? I am much more familiar with LA but have had many extended visits to SF (which I like more than LA, but is also more expensive). I am looking to move to the area where I have the best hope of landing another full time office job. I just want to get myself “launched” again.
If you don't mind data entry, then consider getting into medical billing. For some reason, it pays better than regular secretarial/data entry/admin.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:56 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Good luck with that.

The only way you’re having a career working at a museum is if you have a spouse or family money supporting you. How many museums are there vs those with art degrees trying to get jobs at them?
There are plenty of other jobs out there in which people could use their art history backgrounds -- not necessarily in California, and not necessarily during a pandemic.

Don't give up on your dream, OP. You just may have to delay it for awhile, and you may have to find it in a less expensive, or less virus-afflicted, state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Most people have a choice: either a boring, unfulfilling job that pays enough for a moderately comfortable lifestyle so he/she can travel to visit the "art history" that he/she presumably loves OR uncompromisingly pursuing your "dream" and ending up at 45 with no nest egg, a bleak future, and a past filled with "satisfying" clerical jobs.
Yeek. That's a pretty bleak outlook.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:28 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:

Another option would be university gigs. The advantage there, is that, while you're working as office admin, you're able to take 5 credits for free each semester. In this way, you can build yourself an MA patiently, over time. This could expand your employability and earning power. At the least, it could give you hope of improving your circumstances. University employment offers good benefits, too. And universities have museums; you could watch the employment listings (once you're already an insider, working there), and jump on the rare opening for office admin in a museum context, for example. And btw, one way to boost your chances of getting a university job, is to get on their temporary pool. Once you have some experience with that, you'll automatically qualify as an insider, a university employee, so you'll get first dibs at the jobs, vs. applying and trying to compete from the outside.

I would NOT try this in the SF Bay Area! COL is too exaggeratedly high, and the gap between admin pay and COL is too big. Try somewhere in the LA area, or other state university locations: Irvine, Riverside, Davis (low COL in Sacramento), etc.
But the OP's halfway decent job had little to do with their degree.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Exactly. An art history degree can function just fine as a generic college degree, getting grads in on the ground floor of employment, from where they can work their way up. So, the OP has more options than some here would have us believe, but if she does have a wish to pursue jobs in her field, I threw out some ideas there, too. But she's in no way limited to that.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:40 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,289,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I wouldn't consider moving to the Bay Area with a "halfway decent job". Making it here (especially starting out) is not for the faint of heart. You really have to be at the top of your game, both in terms of a starting place and a career trajectory to make it. Sure, you could survive with less, but I don't think you'd be experiencing a great lifestyle.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:57 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I wouldn't consider moving to the Bay Area with a "halfway decent job". Making it here (especially starting out) is not for the faint of heart. You really have to be at the top of your game, both in terms of a starting place and a career trajectory to make it. Sure, you could survive with less, but I don't think you'd be experiencing a great lifestyle.
I agree, They may have had a little nest, but at 40K a year there isn't much left to save for future of for emergencies. Cutting it to close IMHO.
As far as not giving up the dream, how long to you wait for that dream to be fulfilled? Until its to late?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California